Acer Switch Alpha 12 price beater?

Acer Switch Alpha 12 price beater?

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Acer Switch Alpha 12 price beater?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Benjiro
    Participant

Acer announced a few days ago the Acer Switch Alpha 12… It also includes by default the keyboard.

Starting price level are 599$/699€ ( yea, Europa gets the 80€ extra price hick, even after including local 19% taxes).

Teclast X3 Pro:
    430€ + 32€ ( keyboard ) = 462€ + Taxes = 550€
    Advantage: Two USB 3.0 ports but no USB-C port. Standard 8GB ram.

Cube i9:
    478€ + 59€ ( keyboard ) = 537 + Taxes = 640€
    Advantages: …

I did not include the import tax ( 3.5% ) or shipping costs in these calculation.

That is not a lot of differences anymore ( from a European buyer point of view ). Hell, just buying the US version of the Acer gives a 50€ price advantage compared to the EU price ( making it cheaper then importing the Cube i9 ).

Advantages for the Acer compared to the X3/i9:

* Screen: 2160×1440 vs 1080p
    * Resolution ratio: 3:2 ( seems a favorite for some people ).
    * Cpu choice: Intel Core i3, i5 and i7. Default is the i3. But that has by default already more performance then the m3 6Y10.
    * GPU: 520 ( i3/i5 ) or 540 (i7) vs 515 on the m3 6Y10.
    * LiquidLoop Cooling System: So they include a heatpipe that transfers the heat to a custom LiquidLoop Cooling System, to increase the surface range on the anodized aluminum chassis.
    * 8 Hour battery life? Even if we assume its less then that, it will probably beat some of the 5.30h battery life results of the X2/I9 ( assumign the X3 will be similar as its almost a drop in replacement with more ram )

* Pen holder on Keyboard 🙂
    * Dual front-facing speakers … Front facing? Not side facing …
    * Number of Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB 3.1) Ports: 1 < While normally disadvantage but if they are using Thunderbort this can be very interesting.
    * Fast dual-band 2×2 MU-MIMO 802.11ac/a/b/g/n Wi-Fi ( Say hello 5Ghz Wifi )
    * Optional Dock ( audio in and out, two USB Type C, three USB type-A, HDMI, and DisplayPort )…

* Kickstand default: Lacking on the X3 Pro.
    * Active Pen display: Lacking on the i9.
    * Optional Active Pen with 256 different levels of pressure
    * LPDDR3 SDRAM << Low powered memory, so more battery saving. Very sure that the Chinese Tablets use regulare DDR3L as this is the only supported type for the m3 cpu’s.

In all honesty, if it was not for the Skylake Chinese Tablets being expensive as they are currently ( for a European buyer ), it now makes the Acer look darn good…

It looks like a nice contender at this price range…

Update: Some specs…

Viktor
    Participant

It seems that the cheapest version with i3 CPU will already cost 800€ in Europe, the Intel Core i3-6100U is also just a less efficient Core-M (HD515 and HD520 share the same DIE with a different binning).

I got my Cube i9 for 400€ (luck with taxes), but at 800€+ i would probably spend another 100€ to get the Surface Pro 4 Core-M.

Edit:
    The Cube i9 also uses LPDDR3-1833.

Prices for the i5/i7 version:
    Aspire Switch 12 Alpha SA5-271P-56H6 / Intel Core i5-6200U / 4GB / 128 GB SSD / Win 10 Pro = 890€
    Aspire Switch 12 Alpha SA5-271P-56RP / Intel Core i5-6200U / 8GB / 256 GB SSD / Win 10 Pro = 1070€
    Aspire Switch 12 Alpha SA5-271P-77ST / Intel Core i7-6500U / 8GB / 512 GB SSD / Win 10 Pro = 1300€

Benjiro
    Participant

You do realize that the Acer is not yet for sale? That this 800€ is just some websites trying the typical pre-sale price increase. The official price is 699€ and it will show up like that when it gets on sale.

Also the i3-6100U is running at a higher clock speed. While the TDP is higher, it just means that it can clock higher before thermal throttling. As we see in the benchmarks comparing the M3 vs i3. It also means that the 520 ( what is a 515 but with higher clock ) is able to pull a higher clock speed. Especially with a more dedicated thermal system in the Acer. No modding required… The i9 is more mod friendly but the X3 with its glue is a pain.

The fact that you got a Cube i9 at 400€ is irrellevant for any other new buyers. At this moment its sales price is at minimum 478€ at Gear. Same with the import/tax. That is just a gamble for any person. If one gambles and they can win. But if they lose, they end up paying almost the same as the Acer but get less in return.

You want to gamble with the tax? Buy the Acer US version at 599$ ( 520€ ), same gamble, same transport cost. Do not dismiss the Acer just because you saw a few sites that are trying the typical price increase before the product is even on the market. Its not because you got a good deal on your Cube i9, that the rest of us are in the same position. For us its already a 80€ price increase compared to when you buy.

And what if something happens to your i9? Repair? Yea … send back to China for repair. The Acer you can have it shipped / repaired in Europe ( and you have the two year European warrenty ).

I love the Chinese tablets but frankly, they are getting way to expensive compared to the previous generation. One can eat a lot of bitter for a cheap price but when those prices are a lot higher ( normal buying )… It opens up the door for more tradition manufactures competition like Acer.

Wilson C
    Participant

I hope Chris can write a review on Alpha 12 when it gets on sale.

Chris G
    Keymaster

I don’t see it being under 750€ here in Europe that’s the problem. If it was cheaper or close to the X3 Pro or Cube i9 it would be a much better tablet to go for but as it is the Cube i9 or X3 Pro will be close to half the cost of it.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Viktor
    Participant

Those prices are realistic, Europe always gets a premium charge.

The Cube i9 is currently listed at AliExpress for $450, also buying with PostNL / One World Express / Singapore Post has a high chance of bypassing taxes.

And there is also PayPal which always assists me if i got a problem with my Chinese devices.

Edit:
    i5-6200U / 4GB RAM / 128GB SSD / Win 10 Home = 800€
    i5-6200U / 4GB RAM / 128GB SSD / Win 10 Pro = 900€+
    i7-6500U / 8GB RAM / 512GB SSD / Win 10 Home = 1300€

No sign of the i3 version. Maybe a US market only version?

Source:
    http://www.amazon.de/dp/B01EJRWCT6/
    http://geizhals.eu/acer-aspire-switch-12-alpha-sa5-271p-56h6-nt-lb9eg-004-a1433520.html

Chris G
    Keymaster

That price is for the tablet only too it seems. As it lists:

Main part; power supply; Quick Start Guide

Not the keyboard. So we would have to factor in another 100 to 150 more the keyboard type cover? Doubt it would be as cheap as the $45 USD I paid for my Cube i9 type cover.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

Benjiro
    Participant

That price is for the tablet only too it seems. As it lists: Main part; power supply; Quick Start Guide Not the keyboard. So we would have to factor in another 100 to 150 more the keyboard type cover? Doubt it would be as cheap as the $45 USD I paid for my Cube i9 type cover.

If they keep pushing those prices, then its not worth it. At 599/699€ + keyboard sure but the fact that all the sites are listing only the i5/i7 seems to indicate that Acer was using the i3’s price as “free advertisement” but they really want to sell the i5 ( 800€ version ). Franky, for that price the huawei matebook is a way better option.

I will just order the X2 Pro or the X3 Pro and take the risk ( or try and find a second hand Cube i7 stylus ). The Cube i9’s missing active stylus is a deal breaker for me ( and more expensive for no real benefit ). Odd that there are a lot of second hand Cube i7’s but second hand X2’s Pro’s are impossible to find in Europe.

Ps: Editor works great again 😉

Chris G
    Keymaster

Yes, I managed to fix the editor with a full cache wipe and a few tweaks. It should be good now.

Why not a new i7 Stylus, they are only around $285 new now which is quite a deal. My X3 Pro should be here next week. I expect it to perform well but I already know the design, the squared edges, and large bezels make the design inferior to the Cube i9. Shame about the lack of stylus support onthe i9.

That Acer is just too pricey, The Huawei Matebook looks good, I’ve asked for one to review from Huawei Spain and it looks promising. But they have no idea when they will have a review unit.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Benjiro
    Participant

Frankly, i personally find the i9 not bad at all. Its just you end up paying 50€ more, lose out on the 4GB extra memory and the real ( hardware point of view ) return is the USB-c / back stand that you get more. Maybe i’ll wait just for the i9 Stylus version …

The i7 stylus is good, the price point is very good but then your back to the older 5300GPU, and i do not like the 10″ screen size ( and no back stand, single USB3 port, etc… ). For a window system a bit bigger with more flexible features is better. Like for instance the X2/X3/i9 with dual USB3/USBc, gives you the ability to simply plug in keyboard/mouse without the need to carry a USB hub around.

Its like each system is just lacking in the perfect combination *haha*. The Acer was hitting the right spots but if they sell it at that stupid price, yea, forget about those guys.

Yau
    Participant

New user here from Malaysia. I was interested in getting a hybrid Windows tablet and have been stalking your review site and youtube site and stumbled upon two tablets that have interested me,

Cube I9, Teclast X3 Pro. Based on prices from banggood, it costs roughly  USD 450, USD 446 respectively which translates to my local currency of RM 1812 – Rm1828.

According to a local Acer distributor here, I can get the lower end Acer Switch Alpha 12 for about RM2450 with 3 year extended warranty, free McAfee Security + a free mouse, stylus, keyboard included which should be a no-brainer. But I am still holding back not knowing in terms of performance how it compares to the other two tablets.

Would you be doing a review on the tablet?

K
    Participant

Here are the real prices (US):
    http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/models/laptops/switchalpha12
    I3 4GB from $600
    I5 8GB from $650
    I7 8GB from $950

With keyboard and warranty of course.
    Shipping is cheap within the US (from $13) international is a different issue, depends on the retailer of course.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar