Charging current ?

Charging current ?

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube iWork10 Ultimate Charging current ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Simeon Simeonov
    Participant

Hello,

If possible could the other iWork10 Flagship/Ultimate owners check with what current is the tablet charging.

I’m getting really strange and not stable 300-1200 mA charging current with Ampere app under Android.

John
    Participant

Same here.

dlink377
    Participant

I never tried to use any app to check my charging current, but I am using hardware usb current (USB Charger Doctor) to check the current. Using a 12W Quick Charge adaptor, in Android is around 2.0 amps, Windows 2.25 amps, turned off < 500mA. Using Anker 5 port charger, it is around 1.7-1.8 amps on Windows. It really depends on the charger and cable. Make sure you use high quality cable (such as the one included on Samsung phones), and a good Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 charger usually does the job quite well (I use Xiaomi Mi4c, but Samsung Note 5 or S6 one probably better).

Laura
    Participant

between 1.4 and 1.8A with a quality charger. measured with a usb current meter

Simeon Simeonov
    Participant

Thank you for the feedback. Last night i have tested with my external powerbank which is showing the charging current on display and it is constant 1.8A and that is fine with me, although at same time the Ampere app is showing 350-800 mA. Probably it is not working properly with this hardware.

Martin Gorbush
    Participant

Probably it is not working properly with this hardware.

I think it is working quite good. When you connect tablet to external power source and even if it can provide stable current that doesn’t guarantie stable battery charging current when this hardware is working. It is especially true when power drawn from external source isn’t much bigger than power needed by tablet to work. And this is often the case with tablets containing Intel Atom SoC. You draw through USB Dedicated Charging Port about 10W of power but tablet can use almost all of it for its current needs and there isn’t much power left for charging battery.

Andrew
    Participant

Hi!

I’m quite new to x86 tablets so I think that maybe that’s the reason of the fast total discharge of the battery which is done in about 5/6 hours at minimum brightness and even using just mercury browser and nothing else.

Is this normal?

In my past tablets (ARM) they would discharge like this only if I had plenty of open apps and medium/high brightness. In fact in the conditions I described above, those past tablets take a long time to discharge.

At this rate how long is going to be the useful life of the tablet/battery (how many charge cycles does it have)?

Thanks!

Laura
    Participant

the battery gets better after a few charge/discharge cycles

Andrew
    Participant

OK! Thanks!

Martin Gorbush
    Participant

I must say that title of this topic irrevocably reminds me of “roaring currents” (Admiral: roaring currents) ;).
    To the merritum. I wouldn’t expect any miraculous battery recovery after few initial chargings. This tablet drains between 1000-1200 mA from 3.7V Li-ion battery when just screen is on. You can check this with AIDA64 under Android or BatteryMon in Windows. Any more user interaction and it can go even up to 2000mA. Simple calculation shows that for 5 hours of work even at minimal load it would require 5000 to 6000mAh. Installed battery can provide no more than 7600-8000 mAh. Therefore even if you just put this tablet on the floor with display enabled and disabled power suspend this will discharge battery in maximum 8 or in worst case a little more than 6 hours (1200mA drain).

dlink377
    Participant

I must say that title of this topic irrevocably reminds me of “roaring currents” (Admiral: roaring currents) ;). To the merritum. I wouldn’t expect any miraculous battery recovery after few initial chargings. This tablet drains between 1000-1200 mA from 3.7V Li-ion battery when just screen is on. You can check this with AIDA64 under Android or BatteryMon in Windows. Any more user interaction and it can go even up to 2000mA. Simple calculation shows that for 5 hours of work even at minimal load it would require 5000 to 6000mAh. Installed battery can provide no more than 7600-8000 mAh. Therefore even if you just put this tablet on the floor with display enabled and disabled power suspend this will discharge battery in maximum 8 or in worst case a little more than 6 hours (1200mA drain).

In my experience, the tablet can only runs around 4-5 hours on medium mixed usage (office, browsing, YouTube, stream from networks), max around 6 hours for light usage (office and normal browsing). Not really what I expect from 10″ tablet, but you can recharge it easily with usb battery backup, so not really a very big problem for me.

Laura
    Participant

I must say that title of this topic irrevocably reminds me of “roaring currents” (Admiral: roaring currents) ;). To the merritum. I wouldn’t expect any miraculous battery recovery after few initial chargings. This tablet drains between 1000-1200 mA from 3.7V Li-ion battery when just screen is on. You can check this with AIDA64 under Android or BatteryMon in Windows. Any more user interaction and it can go even up to 2000mA. Simple calculation shows that for 5 hours of work even at minimal load it would require 5000 to 6000mAh. Installed battery can provide no more than 7600-8000 mAh. Therefore even if you just put this tablet on the floor with display enabled and disabled power suspend this will discharge battery in maximum 8 or in worst case a little more than 6 hours (1200mA drain).

In my experience, the tablet can only runs around 4-5 hours on medium mixed usage (office, browsing, YouTube, stream from networks), max around 6 hours for light usage (office and normal browsing). Not really what I expect from 10″ tablet, but you can recharge it easily with usb battery backup, so not really a very big problem for me.

my unit had terrible battery life out of the box. like 2 hours. it then improved massively over the next few cycles and i believe it hovers around those 5-6 hours

Andrew
    Participant

Thanks!

And what do you think would be the expected life expectancy of the battery?

Martin Gorbush
    Participant

my unit had terrible battery life out of the box. like 2 hours. it then improved massively over the next few cycles and i believe it hovers around those 5-6 hours

If battery wasn’t calibrated by factory then PMIC (Power Management Integrated Circuit) which inside this tablet almost certainly is AXP288C can wrongly indicate battery charge level. This should pass after first full discharge and charge cycle because PMIC can “learn” current battery characteristic.

Martin Gorbush
    Participant

Thanks! And what do you think would be the expected life expectancy of the battery?

That’s a 150$ question ;). I can speculate that this battery should live through 200-ish full charge-discharge cycle and about 500 half-discharges.

One strange thing which I found when investigating this tablet PMIC is that Windows maximum charge voltage is differently set than Android’s (4.2V vs 4.35V). That situation has not completely clear implications but one thing that I noticed even before discovering this is that when charging cable is connected and Android system is working then even if battery is full PMIC will quite often try to re-charge it. This happen because even if it can not charge battery to 4.35V and “give up” someware in vicinity to 4.3V (probably when charging current decreases below 250mA). Then after short period (15-30 minutes) battery naturaly lowers it’s voltage and when it drops to 4.25V (100mV delta recharge setting) then charging process restarts again. AFAIK if this process continues for extended period of time (days) it might permanently lower battery performance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar