Charging with USB C only?

Charging with USB C only?

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi HiBook Discussion Charging with USB C only?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Roi Danton
    Participant

Hello all,

is charging only possible with USB C? Or can I also charge the tablet with the Micro USB and a slower charging speed?

If USB C is the only possible way to charge the tablet, can I charge AND hook devices like a USB 3 docking station (for more USB 3 ports, LAN, HDD…) to it?

Cheers,
    Roi

dlink377
    Participant

Charging is only possible using USB-C. Micro USB will not charge the tablet at all.

My USB 3.0 is not even working, but some people probably quite lucky to have USB-C that have USB 3.0 working.

Roi Danton
    Participant

That does not sound very promising. I read through the other threads a bit just now and stumbled upon many problems with USB…! I hope that these problems are fixable with a BIOS update. But I am not very confident… Hm, do I already not like the tablet anymore – and it is not even here, yet…

dlink377
    Participant

That does not sound very promising. I read through the other threads a bit just now and stumbled upon many problems with USB…! I hope that these problems are fixable with a BIOS update. But I am not very confident… Hm, do I already not like the tablet anymore – and it is not even here, yet…

Cheap price does come with various kinds of problem, it is kinda expected. If you really want a very good tablet, better spend extra money to Surface tablets lines, from what I know of, those tablets don’t have this strange problems.

If you can live and cope with the problems that occurs, you can buy these Chinese tablets. It is also not really uncommon dead on arrival tablets and bricked after few days of use. Even flashing BIOS doesn’t have any recovery solution if failed, unless you pry it open and use USB BIOS flasher directly to the BIOS chip.

It seems USB 3.0 is a wide scale problem for this kind of tablet.

Roi Danton
    Participant

For sure I do not expect too much from a low price tablet from China. But at least I can expect that basics work. Like that a USB 3 port supports USB 3 and not only USB 2 or nothing at all. This and other features are played on every channel about this product. DOA, bricked devices after some days or other individual hardware problems are a lot more understandable than the described basics. In my eyes…

Is USB 3 a problem with the Chuwi tablet or in general with tablets like this, e.g. also the Cube iWork 10?

dlink377
    Participant

Is USB 3 a problem with the Chuwi tablet or in general with tablets like this, e.g. also the Cube iWork 10?

I had iWork 10 Ultimate before using this Chuwi HiBook Pro, and the USB 3.0 problems is also the same. I think it is mainly caused by the same motherboard, since both of them has same motherboard OEM and most likely same type, just replace the USB 3.0 Micro with USB-C connector. Both of them will share same amount of problems.

However, some people doesn’t have any problem with the USB 3.0, as most of the problem is the OTG. Not all OTG cable will work, and some will work, but will not on others tablet, so it is quite hit and miss thing. Myself, already order three different kind of USB-C cable, and nothing works on USB 3.0.

If you want to charge using micro USB,  I think iWork 10 is a better choice. It also has better performance than HiBook, and definitely much better experience than my current HiBook Pro (every person mileage is different, my tablet might just a lemon compared to others). 2K and Type-C is not a advantages to me, since the processor itself barely have enough power to run 1920×1200, and type-c is not like you have thunderbolt inside it.

Roi Danton
    Participant

I thought the Chuwi would be the better choice for me because of the 5MP back cam (well, if I use it…) and also the speakers on the left and right (the Cube has it just on the right side). And also the 3A charging over 2A or 2,5A. But the Chuwi does not have stylus support, the battery is smaller, the screen is not so bright as the Cube and also you can like it or not that the Chuwi has a USB C and the Cube has a USB 3.0 connector.

I still can’t say if it was the right choice to order the Chuwi…

Also the question is if it is fast enough. A lot of people wrote that it is great and reactive, also the reviews on YouTube were mostly great about the speed.

And is 10″ big enough or would 12″ better? For sure 12″ is heavier and bigger, so not so easy to put in a bag and carry around all day and year…

But I would say that 1920×1200 is enough for 10″ and 12″, no reason for me to have more.

Still my opinion is that the absolute basics should work. And I count USB 3 connects to USB 3 connectors (no matter if USB C or USB 3 (how is it called correctly?)) to that. That has to work…

My Chuwi is in Hong Kong at the airport for over a week now (the keyboard was only there for 12 hours), so I have to wait until I can see for myself if it was a waste of money or the opposite…

Andy B
    Participant

Personally, I need to remind myself that I don’t need all the features that I want. I want everything, as fast as possible too! But, speaking for myself, I got this for work tasks like note taking, doing inventory, running Windows business apps, reading up on tech news/research and occasional light gaming if I can get all my work done and want a break for stress relief. So, will lack of USB 3 speeds really hurt me? No, not in my case. But I hate getting less than what was advertised. At least my needs are met without paying a thousand dollars for a Surface Pro. Perspective. Just speaking for myself, here.

Philippians 2:4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

dlink377
    Participant

I thought the Chuwi would be the better choice for me because of the 5MP back cam (well, if I use it…) and also the speakers on the left and right (the Cube has it just on the right side). And also the 3A charging over 2A or 2,5A. But the Chuwi does not have stylus support, the battery is smaller, the screen is not so bright as the Cube and also you can like it or not that the Chuwi has a USB C and the Cube has a USB 3.0 connector. I still can’t say if it was the right choice to order the Chuwi… Also the question is if it is fast enough. A lot of people wrote that it is great and reactive, also the reviews on YouTube were mostly great about the speed. And is 10″ big enough or would 12″ better? For sure 12″ is heavier and bigger, so not so easy to put in a bag and carry around all day and year… But I would say that 1920×1200 is enough for 10″ and 12″, no reason for me to have more. Still my opinion is that the absolute basics should work. And I count USB 3 connects to USB 3 connectors (no matter if USB C or USB 3 (how is it called correctly?)) to that. That has to work… My Chuwi is in Hong Kong at the airport for over a week now (the keyboard was only there for 12 hours), so I have to wait until I can see for myself if it was a waste of money or the opposite…

Spec sheet wise, yes, Chuwi HiBook definitely is better than iWork 10. Although I rarely use the back cam, I do use the front cam, which is sufficient for my needs. I actually do more of my skype at my phone rather than on the tablet since I can move it around easily.

For speaker, Chuwi HiBook speaker is so much better than iWork. I am surprised how well is the speaker sounds, although not even as good as Xiaomi phone, but compared to another Chinese tablet I own, this is definitely the best.

For charging speed, I think it is quite the same. I don’t know about HiBook, since HiBook Pro battery is 8000mAh. I need around 4-6 hours to fully charge it from 5%, which is around the same time required for my last iWork 10.

Stylus at iWork 10 is not even that good, but definitely quite okay for the price. USB 3 and Type-C is not really an advantages for me, unless you are talking about USB-C that can deliver video and PCIe lanes, such as USB-C with Thunderbolt 3. I actually prefer the iWork solution, since I can charge and use the USB 3 (if it even works) without additional adapter/splitter.

Resolution wise, it is both the same, and you don’t need more than that. I even reduce the resolution from 2K to 1920×1200 to make the tablet faster. Atom processor simply doesn’t have the power to drive the screen. The only main advantages is OGS screen. In your HiBook, Chris does say that panel is not laminated, but gap is so much larger than iWork 10, so that is something you can consider.

Performance on Atom x5-z8300 processor is just okay for everyday use, probably a bit slow if you want to browse web, especially a bit heavy one. Office usage is okay (actually I really love the keyboard, I personally even think it is more comfortable to type  than my MacBook at the bed). Photoshop definitely a bit slow since this tablet is not a power house. I don’t game at this tablet, I have a PC with GTX950 for gaming, I do believe very light games will work without problem. I tried to play Minecraft, at it was horrible, even at 2 chunks rendering distance, it barely playable (20-30fps).

USB 3 does work. I believe most people will have no problem with the USB 3. It is probably just few people have problem with the USB 3.0. I do suggest be prepared if the USB 3.0 doesn’t work. I personally doesn’t really use USB 3.0 speed for tablet this small, probably first few days to install all the stuff, but after that I rarely connect external harddisk anymore. Tablet this low performance also doesn’t handle gigabit connection that well, so I don’t really find a perfect reason why lack of USB 3 is a deal breaker for me, especially at this price.

At first, I do consider Hi12, since it is similarly priced, just add around $50 for Hi12 from HiBook. I like 10″ just because it is lighter, so I can put it on my bag without hesitation, and it will be more comfortable when using it at bed for watching YouTube and replying e-mail before sleep. For a bigger one, I have my 13″ MacBook. I actually also has an iPad, but lack of Windows unexpectedly giving me more hassle to do something so simple (such as saving attachment and resend it to another person).

I suggest to just believe buying Chuwi is the right choice, so that you will not disappoint when something doesn’t work with what you expect. Also doesn’t give your hopes so high, tablets this cheap will have flaws here and there.

Andy B
    Participant

What are the disadvantages of the non-laminated screen with gap between LCD and digitizer?

I understand if you have a stylus it’s a little strange because the tip touches a different spot than where the writing appears. But the HiBook doesn’t have stylus support.

My touchscreen has been nice and responsive and I’m trying to understand why I’m at a disadvantage.

As a repair guy, I like the prospect of a replaceable screen that won’t require a new LCD panel.

Philippians 2:4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Andy B
    Participant

Ok, I will answer my own question now. Last night I tried taking notes with my best capacitive stylus, one I bought for my old Asus Transformer TF700T. The HiBook failed miserably to use it. I could hardly get anything to register.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar