Chuwi HI10 BIOS Update for x64

Chuwi HI10 BIOS Update for x64

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi10 Discussion Chuwi HI10 BIOS Update for x64

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Saad A
    Participant

Since I had the newer tablet revision with the 64-bit BIOS on it, I decided to open up the tablet and dump the flash with a Raspberry Pi via SPI. I then tried reflashing that image from the EFI Shell with the x64 afuefi binary. My tablet still boots, so I would assume upgrading from an older version would work as well. However, if you do try this yourself and brick your tablet, please don’t hold me responsible. Again, do this at your own risk. Unpack the archive onto a FAT32 formatted flash drive and boot from it by holding F7 on boot. You should be dropped into the EFI Shell. First, you have to find which filesystem number the flash drive is mapped to – to do this, start by typing fs0: <enter>, and then type dir <enter>. If you see the files you copied onto the drive, you can now flash the new image with afuefi BIOS.BIN /p /b /n /x /l /reboot If you see some other files, try again with fs1, fs2 and so on. A couple of things to note:

• The binary is a bit newer than the one posted above and has a date of 12/14/2015 as opposed to 12/01/2015.
    • I didn’t restore the default settings before dumping the BIOS, so you’re probably best off loading the default settings in the BIOS after flashing.

Good luck!

Can you tell me pinouts for SPI (is it a header available or did u connect directly to the chip)? and the flash chip number? I wanna program the flash with minimal mess, since my tablet is not booting. Thanks.

Przemo
    Participant

We have two different hardware versions. Don’t flash fbrozovic’s bios to 32 bit system.

Edit:
    Ok. Our tablets (32bit) are V200 and bios 603 is good. 64bit tablets (like fbrozovic’s) are V300 and current bios is 605.
    When we flash 605 to 32bit we lose bluetooth and wifi will be problematic. I flashed (using correct switches and 64 bit flasher) BIOS version 603 and BT and WIFI works good. I also restore V200 x64 system image (for full activation and to test drivers). Now i have fully converted 64bit tablet.

Sergio
    Participant

Hi,

How to know wich table version and bios do I have.

If I enter on Bios It says :

Project version: C106_B101UAN.102

At the back of the table says Model:CWI515

Regards

Sergio
    Participant

If I put show all the information option then:

Core versio: 5.011
    Compliancy: UEFI 2.4;PI 1.3
    Buid Date: 11/27/2015

fbrozovic
    Participant

Can you tell me pinouts for SPI (is it a header available or did u connect directly to the chip)? and the flash chip number? I wanna program the flash with minimal mess, since my tablet is not booting. Thanks.

The chip is a Winbond W25Q64FV (64Mb), the datasheet is here: http://www.winbond-usa.com/resource-files/w25q64fv_revl1_100713.pdf
    I connected the RPi to the chip using a couple of E-Z-Hooks (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/XKMGRY/461-1011-ND/528232)  and some female-to-female jumper cables. You should then be able to flash the chip with flashrom. The chip is located underneath the metal shielding on the PCB, so you have to pry it open. If you’re using something conductive to do that, be very careful that you don’t short anything on the PCB, especially the battery.

How to know wich table version and bios do I have.

If I enter on Bios It says :

That seems to be an old version, mine (newer revision with the blue USB3 port) has C106_B101UAN.605 on it, you should probably flash the 603 BIOS – as Przemo noted above, it seems that WiFi and BT won’t work with the 605 BIOS.

John
    Participant

<hr />

Thanks for all the tips. I am a first time user and I bought a hi10 for my girlfriend. I opened it to make sure it worked before giving it to her but it didn’t. Turns out when i plug it in micro hdmi it works on external monitor but built in shows nothing. I have latest model v300 and bios version 605.. Any ideas?

The screen recognizes my touch when navigating with the external monitor but no image is coming out of built in screen!

Thank you

Sergio
    Participant

Hi  Fbrozovic,

You are right, I have no a blue usb plug so must be v200.

So I will try with 603 posted by Alvaro.

Will let you know how it goes.

Regards

Saad A
    Participant

The chip is a Winbond W25Q64FV (64Mb), the datasheet is here: http://www.winbond-usa.com/resource-files/w25q64fv_revl1_100713.pdf I connected the RPi to the chip using a couple of E-Z-Hooks (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/XKMGRY/461-1011-ND/528232) and some female-to-female jumper cables. You should then be able to flash the chip with flashrom. The chip is located underneath the metal shielding on the PCB, so you have to pry it open. If you’re using something conductive to do that, be very careful that you don’t short anything on the PCB, especially the battery.

Thanks.

Actually, I happen to change two parameters in the BIOS and the tablet stopped responding. I talked to the seller, he wants me to send it back for repairs or refund. But considering the shipping cost and taxes, I was wondering if I can manage to repair it myself (considering my experience in the field). However, I do not want to remove the metal shield, as I may have to send it back to seller.

I noticed four test points near the tablet buttons, the points seems to be used before for testing/flashing. If they happen to be connected to the flash or some other debugging circuitry, they may be of some use. It could be helpful to other people with dead Hi10s as well. One point is GND other is VCC (I did not connect a load to very it really is VCC) ,the other two shows around 1.96 V w.r.t GND. Any idea, where they are connected or any other test points connected to the FLASH?

fbrozovic
    Participant

Thanks. Actually, I happen to change two parameters in the BIOS and the tablet stopped responding. I talked to the seller, he wants me to send it back for repairs or refund. But considering the shipping cost and taxes, I was wondering if I can manage to repair it myself (considering my experience in the field). However, I do not want to remove the metal shield, as I may have to send it back to seller. I noticed four test points near the tablet buttons, the points seems to be used before for testing/flashing. If they happen to be connected to the flash or some other debugging circuitry, they may be of some use. It could be helpful to other people with dead Hi10s as well. One point is GND other is VCC (I did not connect a load to very it really is VCC) ,the other two shows around 1.96 V w.r.t GND. Any idea, where they are connected or any other test points connected to the FLASH?

If you’ve opened it up already, you can take off the metal shield as well, it’s not soldered down and can be placed back on the board easily – it won’t leave any marks. It’s just held in place by the small metal tabs. I’ve attached a picture of my setup – I’m currently tinkering around with replacing the Chuwi logo in the BIOS…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Przemo
    Participant

Main difference should be wifi driver
    V200 – Broadcom Wifi
    V300 – Realtek Wifi

Can someone confirm newer model x64 wifi card ?

fbrozovic
    Participant

Mine has a Realtek RTL8723BS WiFi module.

Sergio
    Participant

Mine is Broadcom, V200 I suposse.

By the way while in win 32bits work well with 802.11g but can not see any 802.11n

Regards

kurai
    Participant

Just updated my V200/32-bit successfully with the 603 firmware & Win10_x64 disk images.
    Everything seems to be working as expected.

Thanks for uploading the files @Alvaro & @Przemo

(only had 1 hiccup in the whole process – make sure the USB drive you copy the x64 Windows installer image onto is renamed as volume “WinPE”. The installer script queries volumes present at boot and writes the new x64_Win10 disk image to the first one it finds *not* called WinPE. i.e. if not called “WinPE” it will overwrite *itself* if the USB drive gets enumerated before the eMMC internal drive.)

Marcin Kruszyński
    Participant

Mine Hi10 (first VC Lemon x32 batch) is not booting anymore and your SPI flashing seems like rescue. I’m new to this so can you write or PM some short tutorial how to flash Winbond using rPi? Can it be done using other PC or do i have to own SPI programmer?

Thanks.

Sergio
    Participant

Now I have windows 64 working 🙂 with 603 firmware

About the Wifi problem is that I have a videobridge working on 802.11n 5 Ghz and this network is what I cannot see, I have had to star again router wifi to use it.

Any Idea ?

Thanks and regards

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar