How to stop it

How to stop it

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion How to stop it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    kdog
    Participant

Hello

How can I block all those fake messages

Thanks

Chris G
    Keymaster

The Spam posts? I just removed them. Every now and then some get through.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Richard Brazeau
    Participant

Since there has been an influx (like 10 new ones today) maybe its time to adjust the joining credentials? maybe a captcha to enter when you sign up? it will help reduce the spam quite a bit.

kdog
    Participant

Can’t you stop this? Please

How can I be unscribed to your emails?

Thanks

Chris G
    Keymaster

@kraandeuf IN your profile under email. You can tweak settings there.

Massive number of bots are targeting the forum, logins and site login. Pretty much under attack from someone. I’ve got the captcha on and firewall at max settings. Please keep reporting them, if it gets any worse I will just have to block India, the origin of most of the spam getting through.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

Richard Brazeau
    Participant

I used to have to deal with this alot when I had my forum running, Ill report any that I see popup, do you have it set so that you have to verify your email before people can post?  another thing you could also implement is a minimum post count to start a new thread without a cooldown (i.e. you can only post once an hour until you have 25 posts)

Chris G
    Keymaster

Thanks for the tips. I reenabled the login capture and set the firewall to max settings, will see what happens. If that fails I’ll see if I can set a post limit to new users.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

kdog
    Participant

It is just unchanged ;;

Chris G
    Keymaster

Two spammers got through. I’ve been forced to block India from the site the source of all the Spam. That will put a hold to it. The odd one might get through from other counties. Even with 4 different steps in place to stop bots they still got through, some might be people posting and not bots.

I will not let the bots destroy this forum… Please use the report button for any spam you see.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

kdog
    Participant

Thanks Chris

Richard Brazeau
    Participant

I feel like blocking India might be a bit drastic, do you have access to IP’s of the spam posters?  Id be happy to help you out anyway I can.

Joe Cardinale
    Participant

I hope this helps.  The last few days I have had to delete over 300 spam emails.  It is getting ridiculous.

Mauro
    Participant

Chris, have you got Akismet enabled and paired with BBPress?

I once had a wp site myself and found that Akismet can manage this kind of spam messages quite efficiently; as it can be paired with BBPress, it should solve your problems in just a couple of click.

Chris G
    Keymaster

I feel like blocking India might be a bit drastic, do you have access to IP’s of the spam posters? Id be happy to help you out anyway I can.

I’ve been blocking the IP’s and blocking India (They have to enter a captcha to pass)
    And google’s ReCaptcha on register again. Still they get in and post. It’s either a very smart bot or real humans doing the login.

That’s only the forum, the logins to the site are being hit constantly, seems someone wants to take the site down or offline.

I hope this helps. The last few days I have had to delete over 300 spam emails. It is getting ridiculous.

I’m sorry about this, I’m fighting it the best i can when it looks to be clear then overnight the come back on new IPs and are by passing all the captcha codes and anti-bot stuff I have making it look almost liek it’s some guys in india first login and then get the bot to do the rest.

I’ve just hired a tech to help out.

Chris, have you got Akismet enabled and paired with BBPress?

I once had a wp site myself and found that Akismet can manage this kind of spam messages quite efficiently; as it can be paired with BBPress, it should solve your problems in just a couple of click.

Yes, Akismet has been on since day one and it’s working against these new spammers. The site has that one and 3 other levels. In fact 4 but they still get past.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Chris G
    Keymaster

Okay, it was 3 guys that posted like 80 spam posts, again all from India. Seems I even forcing all of India to complete captcha and a java script captcha didn’t stop them. I’m sure now that while the anti-bot apps and firewall etc hasn’t worked as it’s real people passing the checks. It has to be to be able to be 4 different systems. (At least the first login part is human)

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar