Problems/Deal breakers of the X98 Pro (evaluating if I should buy one)

Problems/Deal breakers of the X98 Pro (evaluating if I should buy one)

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Pro Forum Problems/Deal breakers of the X98 Pro (evaluating if I should buy one)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Wong
    Participant

Hi!

Just wanted to ask if any of you have encountered any major problems or dealbreakers with the X98 Pro so far in your use.

I’m considering either purchasing this tablet or the X98 Plus, which runs the Z8300 and has the X98 Air III’s design instead, otherwise carrying largely similar specifications.

I used to have an Onda v891w which was a pretty bad tablet (gave me quite a bit of a distaste towards these things) but the X98 series seems to be really great with a bright, saturated screen and build quality, so I’m willing to give it another go.

Do share with me so I can evaluate 🙂 Thank you!

Deep grass
    Participant

x98 Plus is cheaper.

x98 Pro has better cpu against Plus, in terms of CPU Z8500.

Plus has a different design. It look fresh. But hard to tell if it is better than Pro from these promotion picture.

I would suggest x98 Pro, as I am currently using it as my main tablet and the build quality is good .

Dennis van Elteren
    Participant

@Daniel Wong

Teclast suffers from issues right now. All of their X98 variants have issues that if I had known about I would not have bought.

-bad battery life

-crashing

-overheating followed by crashing

Consider the other brands as well and have a VERY GOOD look in these forums. I wish I had done that, I own a crappy X98 PRO right now but could have had something working for the same money or less

Chris
    Participant

After updating the bios mine is now pretty stable. For the money ~£150 I can’t imagine getting anything nearly as good. If you just need a laptop then maybe a refurbished laptop from ebay would be better but for what it is nothing seems to come close. My battery life is now not bad in windows ~5hours but you will need to charge everyday as standby time is not as good as most tablets (my ipad can be left uncharged for weeks and will only lose a little battery) My tablet has never overheated but I don’t push it to the limit, this is not a powerful machine and I wouldn’t use it for anything too demanding.

Daniel Wong
    Participant

x98 Plus is cheaper. x98 Pro has better cpu against Plus, in terms of CPU Z8500. Plus has a different design. It look fresh. But hard to tell if it is better than Pro from these promotion picture. I would suggest x98 Pro, as I am currently using it as my main tablet and the build quality is good .

Thanks for your input! I definitely like the design of the Plus better although I don’t know if it’d be painful to hold. I’m a bit torn between them though, I’d love dual boot still because Android is still the best for multimedia and entertainment (when I’m not working) but the amount of space I’d need to give up is a little 🙁

@Daniel Wong Teclast suffers from issues right now. All of their X98 variants have issues that if I had known about I would not have bought. -bad battery life -crashing -overheating followed by crashing Consider the other brands as well and have a VERY GOOD look in these forums. I wish I had done that, I own a crappy X98 PRO right now but could have had something working for the same money or less

As expected, not much has changed from the days where I owned an Onda. Granted the Onda’s screen was hopeless and touch sensitivity complete nonsense and things have improved. Definitely one of the breaking points for me.

After updating the bios mine is now pretty stable. For the money ~£150 I can’t imagine getting anything nearly as good. If you just need a laptop then maybe a refurbished laptop from ebay would be better but for what it is nothing seems to come close. My battery life is now not bad in windows ~5hours but you will need to charge everyday as standby time is not as good as most tablets (my ipad can be left uncharged for weeks and will only lose a little battery) My tablet has never overheated but I don’t push it to the limit, this is not a powerful machine and I wouldn’t use it for anything too demanding.

I’m actually going to get it straight off Taobao so it’s even cheaper 🙂 and yep you definitely have a good point about not pushing it to the limits! I’m okay with the battery life and having to charge it daily but I’m still sort of uncertain as to whether it’ll actually be stable or not (as Dennis very rightly pointed out my concerns having been a former Chinese tablet owner). Granted, the main reason why I’d take a Pro over the Plus is that Teclast would have fixed more problems already than they would with a new model.

I’ll be considering if I should get it especially with the oncoming 11.11 sale… if I manage to grab it for $115 on Banggood it’s probably a no-brainer. Thanks so much for your input guys!

Chris G
    Keymaster

Crashing is completely solved for me on bios 1.13. 4th cycle on the new bios and no issues, I have also updated the drivers.

Battery life would be the biggest deal breaker for most. Around 5 hours, 3 if gaming non-stop, but that’s normal for gaming. But even my Surface Pro 4 gets only 6 hours web use, about 3 gaming.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Chris
    Participant

How did you update the drivers? did you get one of these apps that does it for you? I’m a bit hesitant to do that as sometimes you can cause more trouble updating drivers

Chris G
    Keymaster

How did you update the drivers? did you get one of these apps that does it for you? I’m a bit hesitant to do that as sometimes you can cause more trouble updating drivers

Intel Driver update utility.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Daniel Wong
    Participant

Crashing is completely solved for me on bios 1.13. 4th cycle on the new bios and no issues, I have also updated the drivers. Battery life would be the biggest deal breaker for most. Around 5 hours, 3 if gaming non-stop, but that’s normal for gaming. But even my Surface Pro 4 gets only 6 hours web use, about 3 gaming.

Awesome.

Now to decide between fighting for 10 units at the Banggood sale or buying one off China straight at 11.11 prices (which comes with a free keyboard case, stand, fishbone, stylus, earphone splitter & cleaning cloth).

Chris
    Participant

Thanks mate I’ll give it a go.

edit I used that and the only update was for the gpu which I have now done. Was there anything else to update for you?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar