Usb 3.0 port?

Usb 3.0 port?

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube iWork10 Ultimate Usb 3.0 port?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

so looking at Chris’ review it seems the usb 3.0 port is not usb 3.0 really? that is quite infuriating if that’s the case… i have ordered the tablet but if that port is 2.0 that would really really really piss me off… anybody got around to test it more thorougly?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    MisterDeery
    Participant

I’ve been meaning to test the speed of the port on mine, but still waiting for my OTG cable to arrive (The OTG adapter that came with my tablet was for micro USB 2 instead of USB 3)

Hope it is the correct speed, it would be a shame because overall it is quite a nice tablet.

Laura
    Participant

keep us posted… i got the cable but not the tablet 😛

Chris G
    Keymaster

Doesn’t really make sense, looking at the bios and device info in HWInfo it looks as if we have USB 3.0. But I still only get the port on mine to work as USB 3.0 which isn’t good at all. Maybe it’s my OTG adapter. I’ve ordered another one just in case to test. It’s going to get marked down in my review due to this and the speakers aren’t really that loud in Windows at all, they are hopeless. But in Android they seem much better, twice as loud. Cube had this very same USB 3 issue on the Cube i7 Core M. Really annoying it’s back, its as if they can’t get it right for some reason.

Apart from this, it’s a great 2 in 1. Possibly the best 10.1 inch 2 in 1 I’ve seen yet from China.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Laura
    Participant

@Chris

z8300 has usb 3.0 in only OTG form (which i recently discovered is crippled compared to full usb 3.0 host but that’s beyod the point) so even tablets with full size port really are just using OTG with a mechanical female A connector.

so, the hardware has it, and even more so it’s the intended implementation, also, the only difference between usb 2.0 OTG and usb 3.0 OTG are the additional 4 pins. so if the port works as usb 2.0 but not 3.0 it must either be pins not connected or bios issues.

most probable thing i guess would be a faulty cable at this point, let’s hope so

edit: i also searched alot on cube forums and reviews on taobao and saw nobody reporting usb issues…

Chris G
    Keymaster

@lalla521 Thanks for the info. I should have a new usb 3 otg adapter in a few days and finger crossed it’s just that!

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

Chris G
    Keymaster

@lalla521 Okay the good news, my new MicroUSB 3.0 to full sized adaptor works (old one is in the bin!) and allows my Sandisk USB 3 Extreme 64GB flash drive to work at full USB 3 speeds. However, it’s not all good news. My 1TB Toshiba external 2.5″ drive connects in USB 3 mode, but disconnects and reconnects non-stop I cannot access it, I have to use the docks USB 2 ports for it. Will try another other 2.5″ drive today a Western Digital one. This is a minor annoyance for me. I would definitely like full USB 3 speeds from my hard drives. At least my more often used flash drives will work. So it seems like a power issue?

Please report back here if you can get external HDD’s to work on the MicroUSB 3.0 port.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Laura
    Participant

@Chris

if it works in usb 2.0 but not 3.0 try this:

get a usb 3.0 hub and connect the hdd trough that. some sata-to-usb chipsets (jmicron mainly, jmicron sucks!) have compatibility issues with intel usb 3.0 controller regarding power management (ie: both chips try to be the “power manager” and this causes the issue you described)

edit: to clarify as it may sound ambiguous: this would not be a power issue (in the sense that the port does not provide enough power), rather a compatibility issue with power negotiating protocol and interposing a hub between the 2 is just a workaround

let me know if that’s the case with this one too

ps: if that’s the case i advice you to do the same as i did: get a usb 3.0 enclosure with an ASMedia chipset (can be found around for under 10$), open the original enclosure and swap the disk to the new one… and enjoy full compatibility with all usb 3.0 controllers

Chris G
    Keymaster

No such luck, only my USB 3 pen drives work fine. All my 2.5″ drives power up but I cannot access them, not sure why. Even with a USB 3 hub( non-powered) But my guess is drivers or lack of power?

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Laura
    Participant

if the usb hub trick doesn’t work then it probably is just lack of power :/

dlink377
    Participant

the usb 3 works fine, but until now i only can make it work with my sandisk usb 3.0 extreme with true usb 3.0 speed (verified with usbtreeview). any other device it can be detected, but somehow not working. i tried harddisk, usb 3 hubs with ethernet, plain usb 3 gbe ethernet, transcend usb 3 card reader  all not detected. also most of the time any device you connect to the usb 3 otg will not detected, you must retry it few times.

sorry for my bad english, it is not my main language and lack of capital letter since i am typing this on the tablet. the keyboard unit is still on they way ?

Laura
    Participant

dang these are terrible news… do the hard disks have problem spinning up/down or are they just not accessible? what happens if you connect them to the usb 3.0 port through the usb 2.0 OTG cable (the one that comes with the tablet)?

dlink377
    Participant

dang these are terrible news… do the hard disks have problem spinning up/down or are they just not accessible? what happens if you connect them to the usb 3.0 port through the usb 2.0 OTG cable (the one that comes with the tablet)?

Just now I try it again, surprising it the USB 3.0 port with USB 3.0 OTG adapter works with my USB3 Hub with Gigabit Ethernet and any other USB 3 device I own. I haven’t restart the system, just make the system sleep while I use my PC.

But definitely the tablet cannot power a harddisk, since I use USB Amp meter, it only giving around 0.1-0.15A, both USB2.0 and USB3.0 with USB2.0 and USB 3.0 OTG cable. It is detected by the system as USB 3.0 device, but it is not usable since the harddisk spinning down lack of power.

Connecting USB 2.0 OTG to USB 3.0 Port works as usual. All devices are detected and can be used. There are no problem, you can connect to both port using USB 2.0 OTG. The only problem is when you want to use USB 3.0 speed using USB 3.0 OTG cable.

Connecting USB 3.0 OTG to USB 3.0 Port sometimes working fine, sometime doesn’t work at all. Few hour ago when I wrote the previous comment, it doesn’t work at all, even the Sandisk. Using 2.0 OTG on 3.0 Port does work fine though. Just now I tried it again, it works without problem at all. All device are detected without problem and usable (except harddisk).

This tablet probably only can power the harddisk using USB Y cable, with the power split connected to another power source such as USB Battery Charger. I don’t have any USB Y cable, so I cannot test this theory.

I tried using USB Amp meter on the hub, the tablet giving power around 0.3-0.45A, with Gbe ethernet (no activity), Sandisk, transcend card reader, and my another android tablet. The voltage is horrible though, only 4.5-4.6V when using 0.4A.

I also probably want to test using the Keyboard Dock, but I still waiting for it to arrive. Most likely will be the same.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Same issue as me then, just my USB 3 flash/pen drives will work. But any HDD with a USB 3 OTG it will not power it the light flash blue but it never shows in . At least the USB 2 ports on the dock work jsut fine. Very disappointing, that and the poor speakers are the two only faults of this otherwise wonderful little 2 in one transformer style tablet.

Now we know why Cube only included a USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0 Micro to USB adaptor!

Wondering if these setting may help?USB 3 Cube iwork10 Ultiamte bios settings

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

dlink377
    Participant

Same issue as me then, just my USB 3 flash/pen drives will work. But any HDD with a USB 3 OTG it will not power it the light flash blue but it never shows in . At least the USB 2 ports on the dock work jsut fine. Very disappointing, that and the poor speakers are the two only faults of this otherwise wonderful little 2 in one transformer style tablet. Now we know why Cube only included a USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0 Micro to USB adaptor! Wondering if these setting may help?

USB Harddisk doesn’t work for me even when connecting to USB 2 port or USB 3 with USB 2 OTG.

Speaker is horrible, but I can live with that. I plan to use this on the field when installing network and CCTV system, which only can be done using Windows and Ethernet is required. Need a computer that I can throw in the tool bag, that I will not care about scratches.

Does the USB harddisk work using the keyboard dock?

I plan to buy a USB Wifi Nano and install it on the dock. The wifi on the tablet is just not gonna make it if I want to install CCTV system. Too many dropped packets and broken packets, even my router repeatedly logged “Disconnected, extensive packet loss” and “Data from unknown device”.

Edit: Now the USB 3 doesn’t work at all again. I think I gave up to run USB 3 on this tablet.

Edit 2: I changed the setting XHCI to Disabled. Now USB 3 it is working again. Harddisk still not working. Will report again if this works, since before the USB 3 works randomly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar