Windows 10 anniversary update

Windows 10 anniversary update

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi12 Forum Windows 10 anniversary update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Rogus Mortem
    Participant

Hello!

I just want to share my experience updating my windows only HI12 with the newest Windows 10 anniversary update. Windows download and installation failed miserably time after time. I read many blogs with solutions but nothing worked until I was told to download the ISO file and install it from my SD card. It took a long time to process, but it worked. I didn’t lost any files or data. Before doing the update, you should uninstall any antivirus or malware. They caused a lot of trouble!

The only trouble I got was with the sound card. This happened because during the installation Windows asked to do updates. To fix it, I just went back and installed the previous sound driver. Another problems was that I needed to disable again the Intel power manament so the screen stopped adjusting automatically.

I’m still testing it, so more to come!

FaiRLane
    Participant

Hi.

Can you tell how much this update take space on your disk (eMMc).

Rogus Mortem
    Participant

Hi FairLane!

I’m at work right now but I’ll look at this later tonight. The ISO is around 4GB, so I imagine Something like that.

Peter
    Participant

Hi, i installed it through regular Windows update- no problem with installation, only sound driver issue like Rogus after install complete , otherwise eveything ok. It takes app. 16GB of disc space but you can clear it later with disc clean up tool in WIN along with previous old versions and updates and you can clear some additinal space as well.

Rogus Mortem
    Participant

Hello.

My installation took 18 GB. I now have a windows old with 24 GB and the new with 18. I got version 1607 OS build 14393.10. I did notice that Edge is lagging. No issues with printers or accessing USB or SD Cards.

Dave
    Participant

I had major problems making enough space…Anniversary update wanted 22 gb free disk space. Took all day running uodate dozens of times to eventually get 24.5 gb free so it could install.

Now everyone I run windows it just stays there in my desktop and every thing I touch it comes up in a box

That process is taking a long time

Kill or wait (something like that!)

Cannot use it at all!

Help…….

Rogus Mortem
    Participant

I hope you did a back up. If more than 3 hours passed, you may consider stopping it. However, I don’t trust windows so I’m not sure what will happen if you do that. If you have a backup, then go for it. I did my update from an ISO file, because the download and installation failed.

Bill Christiansen
    Participant

Process of freeing space can take a long time, I would give it a few hours before deciding to pull plug.

I just finished update, it took 3 and a bit hours including an hour for the initial download. It seemed like it stayed on 15% of the upgrade process for ever but I left it alone and eventually it completed. I had 27.5 GB free at the start and 13.6 GB free at the end. I should be able to recover some of that when I clean out the old Windows.

Bill Christiansen
    Participant

Well I finished running disk cleanup and now got 22 GB free so still lost around 5 GB in the update. Windows seems to be working fine but it’s crazy how much free space you need to do this update. I have another tablet that only has a 30 GB Windows partition and only 11 GB free after uninstalling nearly everything so I can’t see me freeing enough space to do the update on that one.

Edit: managed to complete the update on three different devices, the key seems to be freeing up as much space as possible before you start.

Dave
    Participant

Crazy Win10 wanting all that space to upgrade. Why can’t it download to SD card or USB!!

Anyway eventually tuned off H12 and currently using Android. Wen I have more time today I will try to boot into windows again.

It did seem to install correctly, as I got the welcome screen and let’s go……but when loaded it just stuck on the desktop

How do you run Windows 10 in safe mode…..so I can at least see the logs?

The Hacker
    Participant

I did the install the other day, but revertet back to 1511 last night, coulden copy anything to or from my sd card without locking everything else up, and win feels alot slower (well at least for me it does)

There are 3 kind of people in the world, thoose who can count, and thoose that can't

Dave
    Participant

How did you revert back?

The Hacker
    Participant

made a fresh install

donno if you can go back to the version before you upgraded, but i noticed that there is a windows.old folder, so should be possible

There are 3 kind of people in the world, thoose who can count, and thoose that can't

Rogus Mortem
    Participant

So far so good with my update. Everything is running OK! I tried to delete the windows.old but couldn’t make it. I read that windows 10 will delete it 30 after the update. We’ll see!

Bill Christiansen
    Participant

I deleted my old Windows in Disk Cleanup – System files. It did warn me that I couldn’t go back.

Everything seems to be running fine with good performance. The new Skype Preview works well and I like being able to pin tabs in Edge.

At the moment Remix is still my favorite but I might spend a bit more in Windows now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar