Windows 8.1 on X98 Plus?

Windows 8.1 on X98 Plus?

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Plus Discussion Windows 8.1 on X98 Plus?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jb31654
    Participant

I’ve got a couple spare 8.1 keys laying around (which I prefer 8.1 over 10) and was wondering since the X98 Plus shares a lot of the same hardware as the Air 3g/II if they would work with it if the 10 drivers weren’t backwards compatible. Any brave souls wanna test it out before I pull the trigger?

Samuel Hart
    Participant

What about 8.1 do you prefer over w10?

jb31654
    Participant

10 was on the x98 air 3g I bought and wifi didn’t work with my router (anywhere else I went it worked) but it worked on 8.1. There’s less optimization steps for setting it up (not having to run additional software to remove telemetry, I already know what updates to hide in 8.1), being able to choose “update manually” without 3rd party software / registry tweaks. it’s more that I’m happy with what 8.1 offers and not wanting to deal with other issues to gain features I won’t use. that and the plus uses the same WiFi card as the air 3g and I don’t want to deal with “cannot connect to network”

COASTER19
    Participant

I tried this.  I got it installed after some messing with the drivers for the eMMC, but couldn’t get any of the drivers for the hardware functions to work.  Basically no touchscreen, brightness, buttons, sound, etc.  I tried installing the Surface 3 drivers since it was also a cherry trail, and it became very unstable.  Long story short, I doubt it’s possible.

jb31654
    Participant

did you try the 10 drivers for the plus and/or the 8.1 for the air 3g?

COASTER19
    Participant

I tried the Windows 10 drivers for the Plus after disabling driver signature verification.  They wouldn’t install.  The Air 3g ones definitely wouldn’t work since it’s based off of a bay trail Atom which should function very differently.

jb31654
    Participant

Thanks for the attempt, I’ll probably hold off on buying one then.

Samuel Hart
    Participant

I fail to see how bay trail/cherry trail would effect all the drivers. Sure it will some of them, a lot actually. But WiFi etc are all independent pieces of hardware that are not dependent on the chipset. They’re both the same architect, most certainly worth trying the drivers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar