It’s been a long wait, finally got my hands on the GPD Win, it’s a 5.5″ UMPC, handheld, gaming device. You get a Windows 10 device you can slip in your pocket with some really decent specs considering the small form factor. An Atom X7 Z8700, 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, 64GB eMMC, 6000mAh battery and more ports than most tablets. Below’s my unboxing video, first impressions with a quick review style summary.
- It’s a bit chunky, build quality for the price is average.
- The screen is bright, but oh so tiny for Windows 10! (Windows tablet mode would help)
- Touch screen accuracy is okay, but due to the size easy to have missed touches.
- The shoulder buttons feel loose and flimsy, I hope they will stand the test of time.
- Mouse emulation via the joysticks works well. Left and right shoulder buttons are the mouse buttons
- The analog thumb nubs are cover with a grippy rubber
- Both USB ports will power external hard drives however it causes interference over the loudspeakers.
- The keyboard for the size is good for typing only a few lines. I would hate to type an email on it.
- Quite an amazing feat of engineering all this has crammed into and even fan cooling!
- The fan can be set to off, low speed or high for when you’re pushing it hard.
- Fan noise at high is a little annoying, but if it stops it throttling when gaming will be a fair trade off.
- It has a Samsung eMMC (Speeds will be in the full review)
- D-Pad feels average, a bit cheap. Will need to test it gaming
- A few minor build defects can be seen in the finish.
- It has broadband AC, this will help with Steam streaming (I’ll see if I can stream Witcher 3 to it later on)
- Type-c charging and data.
- 6000mAh battery for such a small screen and 720p should give good results (Will confirm in full review)
- The screen rotation sometimes doesn’t quite work as it should as seen in the hands-on video above.
- It’s not cheap, selling for over $300. I feel it’s a little overpriced.
More on this model soon! Gearbest has it listed for $359.