chuwi hi13 not working

chuwi hi13 not working

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi13 Forum chuwi hi13 not working

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Daniel J.
    Participant

I wrote about this in another thread/post!

I also received a unit where the battery was on 0% capacity. Seems Chuwi does not pre-charge(or maybe even test) the batteries installed.

I was also puzzled a little by this, as I have never yet purcased a battery powered product where the batteries are shipped 100%(or very close to)discharged.

This was also why I suggested to Chris to advice people to first charge their units before even attempting to turn-on their devices.

And since I have a background in electronics, I know batteries(of any type) should never be left 100% discharged, as it will make the battery short(thus creating a heavy powerdraw from the powersupply unit and possibly damage it) and also loose battery capacity, as the chemicals inside is broken down when in this discharged state.

However, I can’t say 100% if this is THE problem causing the issues reported in this particular thread, but it’s at least a issue on it’s own, in my humble opinion!  😉

Jon M
    Participant

I noticed on my HI13, the Windows updates history showed updates had been installed around February 12.  So the unit was either powered up in February or the base install image contained the windows updates preinstalled and recorded in the installation history. The tablet also arrived with English language selected in Windows and an Admin account pre-created.

Perhaps it was not powered down correctly/completely after  imaging, updating, or configuration and it discharged the batteries as a result. But that suggests there must be a flaw in the battery or in the charge/discharge protection circuit. It should not have allowed the battery level to be drained so low that they now may not be charged. (assuming that is a possibility)

The reseller has offered me some options, though not a cash refund at this point, though their website says 45 day “money-back” guarantee.

Return shipment will cost me $35-60.

Chuwi has not responded to my inquiry.

Disappointed. I really like this tablet.

• Great display, — like the size
    • Responsive touch
    • CPU and graphics performance what I expected
    • A bit heavier than I read from prerelease reports.
    • Nice build, attractive case
    • Sound, as reported, not spectacular

Daniel J.
    Participant

We can only speculate at this stage, but it’s possible that the unit is only “charged” at the factory during the windows image upload, which I imagine should only take them a couple minutes to do…..and if this is the only “charge” the unit get before shipping(which is very little in that case), it does not seem impossible that it has enough time to decline close to the critical 0% capacity.  Batteries are also faster to discharge, when stored in a cold enviroment. I remember touching my Hi13 unit it felt cold like ice, so I left it to dehydrate/warm-up for 6-7 hours before even attempting to turning it on.

You are right in your assumption, that leaving a battery discharged can make it impossible or at least risky to attempt to charge it again.  As I mentioned before, the battery will suddenly act as an electrical shorted wire and for a short time(miliseconds)create a very high peak powerdraw, which could posibly lead  into damaging the powersupply unit, as the peak power will go higher than what the powersupply can deliver/is rated.  And again, this action can lead to anything from a defect powersupply or/and damage to the electrical battery/power- curcuit inside the unit.

There is also the “easy fix” possibility, if the battery works and then suddenly drops to 0%…..this could be caused by something as simple as the battery connector being loose and be repaired by tightening/re-connecting the plug. But of course, there is the issue of openening the unit will void the warranty….

Jon M
    Participant

I can return the tablet for refund with a net loss of $80+ for the DHL delivery and the return shipping costs.

I wonder if the tablet has value “AS IS” to someone who has the experience to troubleshoot and fix it?

It is still possible that it is the charger and not the tablet since I do not have another Chuwi OEM power adapter to test with. I know that USB 3 charging adapters “negotiate” the power they supply. Maybe the OEM supply does something special that the ones I tried did not.

Jon

Obinna
    Participant

Just for my own information. When the tablet sleeps, how long do you need to press the power button? Luckily when it’s docked it does this automatically xD

I'm not weird, I'm limited edition (~.~)

Daniel J.
    Participant

It is still possible that it is the charger and not the tablet since I do not have another Chuwi OEM power adapter to test with. I know that USB 3 charging adapters “negotiate” the power they supply. Maybe the OEM supply does something special that the ones I tried did not. Jon

Yes, I’m new to the USB-C standard, but after doing a quick google search and give it a quick looksy.  It reads to me like USB-C requires a data signal, that is used to tell one another if they are compatible.  Which is much the same on Laptop powersupplies, which also requires a data signal before allowing to charge the battery.

However, with USB-C it gets a bit more complicated, as it’s a standard which is not finalized yet and has several revisions already and is stil in development. So the data signal is different depending on if it’s using PD(Power Delivery) rev. 1 or 2 or the latest 3. 1 and 2 uses a “simple aproach” where 4(I believe)different power “profiles” is choosen among.  In the latest v3 standard, there is no preset “profile” and the manufactorer can choose whatever powerdraw he likes, as long as it’s within the 0,1-100watts region(if I remember the numbers correctly).

Don’t know if this info helps, but there you are!  😉

Jon M
    Participant

I’ve just ordered this charger EU Samsung Type-C 25W charger I think it will do the job fine. I don’t like the size of the stock one, it’s annoying me.

Hope the one you ordered works with your tablet.

Despite claiming 12v 2A, this Samsung 25W Fast Charger does not light the red charging LED on my HI13.

It charges my Nexus 5x, but not at rapid charge rate.

I bought mine from BestBuy and opened it carefully. I can return it for a refund. There are several different Samsung USB-C chargers, maybe other models work…. Or maybe whatever is wrong with my HI13 prevents it from negotiating correctly with the Samsung charger I tried.

Jon

Chris G
    Keymaster

Oh if only I knew that before ordering it 🙁

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Obinna
    Participant

God damn it…Well, I bought it on amazon so I will just send it back to them directly…

I'm not weird, I'm limited edition (~.~)

AcuminousIgnorance
    Participant

Chris (or anyone else who has opened their tablet) do we have a model number for the battery pack? it could possibly be something that could be replaced.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Didn’t see any model number on it. Only a date and capacity of each of the 5000mAh cells.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Jon M
    Participant

The retailer will refund my credit card, so that is good news. It will cost $60+ for return shipment to Shenzhen. So I wonder if there is any value of the unit “AS IS” to anyone?

I’m disappointed that I have gotten no response at all from Chuwi for two “technical contact” requests through their website.  Is there an alternative means of contact? Is there an authorized service center in North America or EU?

Jon

Bob
    Participant

Yep, I’d be interested in taking it as is. Please PM ME with asking price and is the device in EU or US?

Thanks

M

Blackburn
    Participant

You could sell if for spares, Hi13 owners that break a screen would want it no doubt. Did you open it up and disconnect the battery?

Proud supporter of TechTablets via Patreon
    Tablets: Hi12 dual boot & MediaPad M5
    Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (Global ROM)
    PC: Dell G3 15 1050 Ti undervolted & repaste
    Desktop PC: AMD Ryzen 1700, 16GB RAM, 512GB 960 Evo, Gigabyte 1060 6GB

Jon M
    Participant

No, I have not opened the tablet to see if disconnecting the battery would reset the charging mechanism.  I didn’t want to void the warranty until I had considered all of the options…

Jon

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar