Cube i7 stylus first impression

Cube i7 stylus first impression

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums i7 Core M / i7 Stylus Discussion Cube i7 stylus first impression

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 384 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I received my cube i7 stylus yesterday and wanted to give some information to people who are thinking about purchasing it. Take into consideration that I’ve been using it for less than 12 hours.

I purchased it from geekbuying.com. The experience was positive overall. There was a 3-week delay in shipping but once shipped, the item arrived via DHL from Hong Kong to NYC in 3 days and was well packaged. As for the tablet itself:

I’ve been using tablets for more than a decade, and my latest one was the Asus vivotab note 8 (AVTN), which has Intel Atom Z3740 CPU, and eMMC, and 2GB of memory.

Positives:
    1. Fast CPU and sufficient memory. As fast as the Surface Pro version 1 I had a couple of years ago if not faster. I use onenote to study, so I put entire books and heavily mark them. This is a CPU and memory-intensive process, so in the AVTN I sometimes had to wait for more than a minute after highlighting before I could keep going. In the cube, I don’t have to wait.
    2. SSD very pleasant surprise. Unlike the Cube I7 without stylus that has been reviewed on this site, this tablet has a “FORESEE 64GB SSD.” I ran an AS-SSD benchmark and received much higher scores than posted on the review of the Cube I7 without stylus. Noticeable faster than the AVTN eMMC. As a side note, you have only about 53GB free space.
    3. Build quality. Sturdy feel, similar to the surface pro version 1, better than AVTN. Even though the AVTN is 8 inch and the cube is 10.6 inch, it feels like you have much more screen space with the cube, possibly because of the higher resolution. The cube weighs more than the AVTN but when you hold it, it doesn’t feel that much heavier if at all.
    4. Screen. I am not a screen expert and don’t have the tools to text color accuracy and so on, but it has good viewing angles and I had no significant light bleed. The screen arrives with a screen protected that scratches easily and has a few small bubbles, though it is not a big issue.
    5. Stylus. I am using a Fujitsu Lifebook stylus. The accuracy and responsiveness is as good if not better than the surface pro version 1 and much better than AVTN. There is inaccuracy on the edges, as expected with Wacom, but still better than other Wacom-based tablets I used to date.
    6. Battery. Lasts about as long as the AVTN, 8 hours give or take. Screen brightness about 30%, balanced power mode. Working with onenote and some web surfing.

Negatives:
    1. Touch sensitivity on edges. The touch sensitivity overall is great, and even on the edges, you don’t need to use much force for a point touch. However, you really have to press hard for it to register a slide over the edges. This is an issue for me because on onenote, for example, I slide down the pages fast so I have to do a couple of inches away from the edges unlike with other tablets. It might improve if I take the screen protector off, but there would still be a difference between the edges and the rest of the screen.
    2. Wifi. Only 2.4Ghz. I have no issues but people who use bluetooth may have interferences.
    3. Operating system. Some characters on several menus in specific programs (for example, windows defender before I updated it) are in chinese and can’t be modified in some programs, but this hasn’t prevented me from using a program yet. It might resolve with an upcoming clean install of windows 10.
    4. Sound. Similar to the AVTN in volume and quality, which makes it one of the worst encountered. Not a deal breaker for me.
    5. Charging. I prefer to charge through micro USB, though other prefer to use it for peripherals. This tablet comes with a 2.5Amp power brick, so you need to carry it with you.
    6. Screen ratio 16:9. Would’ve preferred 3:2 for better balance and productivity.
    7. Can get hot. After about an hour of using about 80% CPU at 2GHz, I could feel the upper part of the tablet heating up (in portrait mode). Nothing. The ambient temperature in the room was about 80F, and though I could still leave my hand on the tablet’s back, it was borderline.

Overall, I am very pleased with the tablet so far. Has some minor glitches but is as close as possible to a surface tablet with a core M processor, and for a bargain price. If I were the manufacturer, I would consider offering a 3:2 screen, 8gb RAM, and 128GB SSD for a higher price point because the baseline tablet is a very good prototype.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    ehsan
    Participant

thank you for your mini review
    i have a question, is it possible to put hand on the screen when using the pen, like samsung note series??

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hand rejection works well with this tablet as soon as the stylus is about an inch from the screen. So if you are writing with the stylus, the hand would not interact with the screen.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Thanks for the mini review and impressions. I hope to have mine soon. It has shipped, but I have no tracking number as banggood tell me priory direct shipping with them has no tracking number..Bit of a worry!

Official Stylus and keyboard are on the way to.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Samuel
    Participant

Thanks, I’m also looking forward to hearing Chris’ initial-impressions after his arrives.

The stylus-functions with mine at this time, will only account for basic ‘click and point’ needs, as there are no Wacom drivers that have operated-successfully after installation, even after the compatibility-check is run, and the Device Manager under Windows drops the infamous (Code 10) once the pen tablet-software install is complete.

I’ve tested with, and without the drivers enabled/disabled/installed with Photoshop CS6 with no success, although I have read elsewhere that “CC” apparently functions perfectly under the Windows Ink API for at least one other individual with the i7-stylus, but even if that is the case, I still want, if not require the Wacom drivers in order to take full-advantage of this hardware.
    Waiting to hear back from Cube on a possible-solution, as otherwise I really like the tablet, and can’t find an abundance to criticize of it.

Viktor
    Participant

I found some information about the Code 10 driver issue on the chinese cube forums, the translation itself isn’t very expressive (Chinese -> English):

Close the Device Manager in the System Devices intel serial io i2c host controller -9CE1 automatic restart after power saving options tick problem
    I found a solution

Power Management found Change advanced power settings to find the PCI-EXPRESS in the link state power management which options are off
    After the restart can solve the problem of pen failure

May someone try to edit these settings on the power management?

Samuel
    Participant

@Viktor: My apologies. I just recently came across your question here, and followed the settings a few times in succession in regards to the possible-tip you relayed, but no dice on resolving the matter. Disabling that specific host-controller drops all pen-recognition, just as installing the latest Wacom FEEL driver does (at least on my device), wherein I’m then unable to access any stylus-functionality whatsoever, until uninstalling the Wacom-specific software/driver package.

The frustrating part of this, is that the hardware-compatablity software provided by Wacom, relays that the tablet is compatible with the FEEL drivers.
    I’ve also used the non-tablet PC legacy-drivers, such as 6.3.10w2 just to help myself with troubleshooting possible workarounds, but they currently exhibit the same issue(s), with the only software teasing glimpses of the pressure-compatability I assumed would be available with the stylus being that of Sketchbook Pro, again though, this is only doable without the Wacom pen-tablet drivers installed, so it’s all in very limited-function for anyone familiar with that branch of applications, as there are no advanced-features to access, to ultimately leverage what the software(s) are capable of providing under the hood, so to speak. I want to thank you for attempting to assist with this.

@Shiny: Mine did arrive with the outer, ‘marketing’-film cover, which includes the features, and specs sticker on it, and also the “actual” screen-protector underneath that. I haven’t purchased a Cube-manufactured device before, but assume it’s customary to have it included-on with their models given what I’ve seen of Chris’ video-content, as he’s been dealing almost exclusively with Ali Express, and not particularly GB.

I’ve come to grips, and kept in the back of my mind that I may have to begin the process now of returning the tablet within a few days, if I’m not willing to wait some time for the appropriate drivers that will make it useful for me, so I’ve been making attempts not to have any dings/nicks/etc. that may work against me on that, so I haven’t considered removing the film, but I do notice that drop-off as well if you were curious, even interacting mostly with a stylus moreso than with touch during this short stretch of time, but in fairness, it’s been more of a negligible-irritant at some times, (primarily when corner-dragging windows) when weighed against my other concerns.

Samuel
    Participant

To update a bit further on the Wacom driver compatability, here is what I’ve been relayed from Cube support on the matter:
    (also apologies if necessary, as my intention wasn’t to side-step the intended-focus of the thread)

This situation is due to windows os so you can’t install the wacom driver to use PS , We are contacting with windows and wacom for the solution ,if we find solutions ,i will give you feedback

Chris G
    Keymaster

I’ll check this out when mine arrives. It was mean to arrive today, but then the “out for delivery” DHL status changed to on hold and now set for the 13th for delivery 🙁 it was in the DHL van but for some reason not delivered to me.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

Samuel
    Participant

Hang in there a bit longer, Chris. I can certainly understand your frustration given how completely-odd that situation appears.

Also sirdrak, I’m one of “those” sticklers who is still grudgingly-sticking to my CS6 and earlier, until it’s absolutely necessary for me to grab the cloud, so to speak, so I haven’t tested CC out, and although I have seen elsewhere that CSP has functionality much in the same way as CC/SBPro do for the i7-Stylus atm, I personally have not been able to successfully-launch either CSP, or MS5 after they install.

I’ve experimented with both 64-bit, & 32-bit directory-installs, as well as going about downloading the Chinese-language version of CSP to verify compatibility statements from Smith Micro, if not Celcys indirectly; yet each time, regardless of version I’m subjected to this prompt upon software-launch: “Running on unsupported OS. Quit Clip Studio Paint/Manga Studio 5”.

I think I would rather this be due to some OS-install issue with my device, rather than otherwise, and that you are able to find success here where I haven’t once your able to spend a bit of time with yours, as I love what CSP provides both alongside, and in comparison to PS, even trumping it some respects, so it would be valuable to have that spedific program to fall-back on until the appropriate device-drivers are in place.

Chris G
    Keymaster

@Shiny Nickler 6 Hours is good, its around the figure I got with most 10000mah tablets tested so far. And the Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140. So its around the ball park figure there for a Core M. Scrolling lag could be a touch digitizer issue if it’s everywhere and not just in chrome etc. It should be iPad Air smooth, so if it stutters it might be an issue, I had this problem with my fist X98 Air 3G. Might have been a bad batch of goodix touch panels.

Did you get it with the keyboard to?

—————————————-

@Anonymous, @Samuel & @Viktor – i7 Stylus owners, the big question! Is your USB 3.0 port working correctly? Full USB 3 speeds and it can power a 2.5″ drive? We be the first thing I test on mine come Monday, as so many of these Chinese Core M’s have micro USB 3 port speed and power supply issues.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Craig
    Participant

That scroll stuttering is a concern. Hopefully it’s a simple fix and not a hardware problem. I’m sure the tablet uses the exact same screen, digitiser and capacitive touch system as used in the Surface Pro 2, and that doesn’t have the stuttering.

mrobi
    Participant

I’m being quite torn about this tablet. Current offer from Geekbying would be 395eur with keyboard and pen. In Finland I have to pay 24% tax from stuff outside of EU so it would be ~490eur total. For comparison local price of Asus T300CHI with Core-M 4Gb/128Gb is 799eur and Surface 3 4Gb/128Gb with keyboard and pen 948eur. So I wonder if quality difference is as big as price difference?

Also does this device look like one could open it and perhaps change SSD to bigger one? In case if its mSata.. Also any idea how warranty repairs would go since its almost impossible for private person to send back devices with lithium ion batteries? I’ve heard that with phone repairs people send back just phones with battery removed.

Federico Maggiore
    Participant

Hi guys i’m really interested to this tablet, but i’m just a little disappointed on some things i have heard: have all units the screen’s sensibility on edge and stuttering issues? Do you suggest this tablet for a future erasmus student (i mean for replace a notebook for 5 months)? PS on GB it costs 429$ with keyboard and pens. Awesome.

Samuel
    Participant

@Shiny/Craig: I can verify that I don’t have that issue with the stuttering during browsing. I’ve experimented with different
    display-orientations as well; each with no issue to report. Are you seeing that as well with scrolling in general, or just limited to browsing?
    Regardless of browser, there could be some add-on/extension trolling the system, and causing you ‘hiccups’ there.
    In regards to battery-life, I haven’t been able to ‘push’ it for testing in the way I had originally-intended to by now, but I guess I can still pay closer-attention to see where mine lands within that 6-8hr range.

@Chris: lol sorry; I haven’t had much need to benchmark anything as of late, but don’t mind tossing my device’s numbers into whatever collective note-taking crops up. Specifically for the USB3-benching, what would you suggest/prefer be used there? Unfortunately, I don’t have any adapters/etc. to test out a drive at this time.

@mrobi: Hi. Viktor came across some photos of the interior some days back from here: http://bbs.51cube.com/thread-101925-1-1.html

I had similar questions as you have later in regards to the possibility of DIY-upgrades, and he was then kind enough to lend me his best-guess, and thoughts on that:

TF means TransFlash as far as i can tell, it is an outdated term for microSD.
    On the picture: upper TF labeled chips are probably low-power DDR3 made by Samsung or Hynix (2x2GB), the lower TF labeled chip is probably an Realtek microsd controller.
    Unfortunately, upgrading the ram on this mobile boards is pretty much impossible.
    It might be possible if you got the exact chip with a higher capacity and a proper resolder station of course, but i doubt this is worth the effort.
    Only the SSD seems easily replacable.

I don’t have any thorough-experience yet with this tablet, but with some exception to the way in which the jack for the power-cord was implemented, it has a very strong, and respectable build-quality to it, just as the i7 that Chris has already reviewed, and I would offer that you shouldn’t have any unease about that aspect, as it were.

My only personal-frustration is software-related, given that my sole-reason for purchasing it, is not an included-feature available without limits at this time, which comes across as beautifully-ambiguous (misleading?) from the manufacturer, as the actual limitations of the stylus-capabilities, again at this time, weren’t fully highlighted, yet I really can’t say that I have remorse about purchasing the device itself. It simply doesn’t fit into my ‘use-case-scenario’ for right now—and not that you are unaware of this, but it stands that you just really have to honestly-assess your own situation, and needs from the product going forward at least a couple of years, and hopefully that will help you and Federico come to the best-conclusion for right now. (oh, and maybe wait for Chris’ i7-Stylus product-review! That will help too ^^)

@Federico: I should be cautious about potentially-mischaracterising the “issues” your referring back to, as the ‘edge-detection’ mentioned not anything that actually arises to the occasion of being an issue, where for Shiny Nickler the ‘stuttering’ he’s experiencing may actually be. (‘Edge detection’ for me was simply one of becoming accustomed to accurate “cursor-placement” while gesturing/swiping within Windows 8, and I can confirm now that whether using the stylus, or my finger, that there are absolutely NO issues with screen-‘detection’.)
    My apologies to anyone interested for not considering coming-back to that sooner, and properly-clarifying it in hindsight.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 384 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar