Flickering display creators update

Flickering display creators update

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Thinker Flickering display creators update

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Rhydem
    Participant

This flickering is becoming more apparent more I use, quite annoying. I think it is a software issue rather than hardware, but I’m unsure what changes i could make in order to eradicate this issue…

I think I have reverted back to previous display driver, and it still flickered (Currently using latest driver)

Ruskiromka
    Participant

I’m on the latest pre-release build of Windows 10 and the latest Intel Driver. Flickering continues only when resume from sleep occurs. Putting back to sleep and on again seems to resolve the issue (annoying but I’ve already got a refund from Gearbest).

Should definitely be a software issue, although many Surface owners have similar issues and are not getting any support from Microsoft (has the same screen as the Thinker).

Rhydem
    Participant

I’m on the latest pre-release build of Windows 10 and the latest Intel Driver. Flickering continues only when resume from sleep occurs. Putting back to sleep and on again seems to resolve the issue (annoying but I’ve already got a refund from Gearbest). Should definitely be a software issue, although many Surface owners have similar issues and are not getting any support from Microsoft (has the same screen as the Thinker).

Full refund?! And is this by sending the item back? Or do you still have the item?

Billy
    Participant

Im happy in general with my Thinker, But after doing the Fall Creators Update.. clean install, and updating all the drivers to the latest versions, including the Intel GPU. my thinker seems to sporadically seize up for a second or so, then the screen goes black, like windows explorer has crashed. I may have to investigate if people are having these issues with the surface, as its more likely that Microsoft will get on it and fix the issue than cube are. I have also had the issue before i did the thermal mod. and it still continues after. the temps are at around 38 to 40c doing standard browsing etc, and go up to 65-72c when cpu load is at 100% over a 20-30 min period.

Now as far as i am aware, the Thinker does not have Thunderbolt 3, just USB C. now this is my first Chinese market laptop. do they just stick in a generic bios, so it has options for things that are not built in? as I’m far more used to laptops that only have options to set things in the bios that are built in. so they wouldn’t have thunderbolt settings there if it wasn’t available on the machine.  and has anyone looked at setting up the bios for optimum performance from the hardware? I run photoshop CC etc on the machine. I have also extracted the Surface display drivers from the Surface book update available on Microsoft site, as well as the pen drivers (I own a new surface pen 4 id like to use with the thinker)

lots of questions i know. But it may prove helpful to others as well.

Rhydem
    Participant

Unsure if this is the reason, but since I’ve applied this – flickering has been non-existent (touches wood)…

Hope it works for others.

EDIT: Still no issues for me – so seems to have fixed it.

Rhydem
    Participant

Unforunately, it’s back 🙁 – After almost a week with no issues, i restarted my laptop and started flashing – will apply the youtube vid and see if it clears again.

Edit: Disable the Intel Graphics services option. Seems to sort it.

Billy
    Participant

The problem with mines.. as far as i was able to work out was the constant crashing of the latest intel drivers, so i rolled back to the one the machine shipped with, so far.. no graphic crashes, and now that i have installed the Surface, screen, digitiser and pen drivers. the display is correctly identified as a surface screen, instead of a generic pnp display, and the tracking seems better with the surface pen. as well as the pressure sensitivity. I really dont know what the issue is with the latest intel gen 7/615 drivers, but both the latest and previous versions caused this constant crash, i figured it out by looking at the logs using event viewer, and seen graphic driver crashed, driver restarted in a long list. It does make one wonder if cube have done something or added something to the drivers shipped so they remain stable.. if outdated. or is there a bios setting we should be tweaking. and since the distinct lack of documentation or support from cube, there isn’t as much as a updated bios or any driver files on there site regarding the thinker… its a nice machine at a decent price, but the lack of support makes me think next time around ill pay a little more for a better known and supported brand.

Ruskiromka
    Participant

The problem with mines.. as far as i was able to work out was the constant crashing of the latest intel drivers, so i rolled back to the one the machine shipped with, so far.. no graphic crashes, and now that i have installed the Surface, screen, digitiser and pen drivers. the display is correctly identified as a surface screen, instead of a generic pnp display, and the tracking seems better with the surface pen. as well as the pressure sensitivity. I really dont know what the issue is with the latest intel gen 7/615 drivers, but both the latest and previous versions caused this constant crash, i figured it out by looking at the logs using event viewer, and seen graphic driver crashed, driver restarted in a long list. It does make one wonder if cube have done something or added something to the drivers shipped so they remain stable.. if outdated. or is there a bios setting we should be tweaking. and since the distinct lack of documentation or support from cube, there isn’t as much as a updated bios or any driver files on there site regarding the thinker… its a nice machine at a decent price, but the lack of support makes me think next time around ill pay a little more for a better known and supported brand.

Where did you find the Surface drivers. Did you roll back to the display drivers on this site?

Rhydem
    Participant

Would also be interested in this information Billy…

Please provide links with details, and instructions if possible

As I know people aren’t so active on here so posting a link that could be dead, having details allows to search elsewhere

Billy
    Participant

I went to the Microsoft website, searched for the Surface book (not the new V2 surface book)  software/firmware updates, you get a selection of MSI files, download the most recent, then get hold of an app called lessMSI (its freeware) it lets you extract files from MSI files, i then extracted them to a folder on my desktop using the app, it creates folders withing the folder you pointed it to, now look for folders marked, display, pen, digitiser etc.. don not install any of the others! as the thinker is not a piece by piece clone, only the display, digitiser and pen.. within those folders, there can be a single or a couple of drivers.. and right click on the diff files (i think its the sys files from memory)  and select install.. it will take a sec but say its been installed. also install the wintab (x64 in my case) file from the Microsoft site if you intend to use the surface pen with photoshop, illustrator etc. as it might help with using the pen with those apps.

Surface Book software https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49497

lessMSI http://lessmsi.activescott.com

Rhydem
    Participant

Cheers Billy,
    This definitely sorts out the blurring issue I was facing, especially when installing things.

Trilis
    Participant

I got 2 times flickering with 1709, but 1790 is somewhat sluggish and freeze spikes happening, anyone also?

Ruskiromka
    Participant

Yep still flickering after resuming from sleep (and sometimes during boot) with all the latest drivers in 1790, I’ve also got mouse touchpad driver issue with the latest builds of windows.

Viktor
    Participant

Hello! I received an update to 1709. I have now 1607 and I’m afraid to update. What to do?

Ruskiromka
    Participant

You can always update and see how it goes, roll back if you have issues. It seems an isolated issue with some laptops, yours should be okay.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar