HDD upgrade

HDD upgrade

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums Teclast F6 Pro HDD upgrade

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Sinuhet
    Participant

Just wanted to share my experience with the 128 GB Teclast HDD replacement. The HDD port is SATA III which supports up to 600MB/s. However CrystalDiskMark measured really bad writing values of 162 MB/s. Since I found these results for the same teclast HDD elswere in internet I decided to upgrade. I upgraded with the new Transcended 240 GB and measured the read/write values again. Now I see significant improvement in both usability and CrystalDiskMark measurments (see attached screenshot with writing values of 462 MB/s).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Olly
    Participant

Nice results! I’m planning to install an M.2 2280 2TB SSD in mine, using a M.2 extender.

primo
    Participant

hello i’m new to the teclast forum and I’m also planning on picking up either the teclast f6 or f5 which is on presale at the moment.  My question is about the ssd used to boot windows 10 if you replace the stock ssd did  you also have to clone win10 to your new ssd.  thanks again.

Olly
    Participant

hello i’m new to the teclast forum and I’m also planning on picking up either the teclast f6 or f5 which is on presale at the moment. My question is about the ssd used to boot windows 10 if you replace the stock ssd did you also have to clone win10 to your new ssd. thanks again.

I bought a WD 2TB SSD, M2 2280 size. I also got a “ribbon” extender, with the intention of mounting the SSD inside the laptop right beneath the SSD slot. Unfortunately it didn’t go to plan. The SSD fits in the  space perfectly, however the ribbon connector is taller than the laptop!

If you wanted to replace the internal SSD then you’d need to either:
    1. Get an external enclosure for the new SSD, then use some disk cloning software to copy the contents of the 128GB SSD onto your new SSD via the external enclosure.
    2. Download and burn a Windows installation media to USB drive, fit the new SSD, then run a fresh install of Windows onto your new SSD.

I have resorted to using a good quality external SSD enclosure, and a short (10cm) shielded USB cable to avoid the “USB 3 noise” problem that kills WiFi. Pics attached. It’s not very noticeable and quite practical.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Amit A
    Participant

Hi. I’m waiting for my Teclast F6 to arrive soon, and would certainly replace the SSD for a bigger (faster) one. Anyone knows if this laptop will accept a 1TB internal SSD (M.2 2242)? KingSpec has such a model.

Olly
    Participant

@Amit A

I hate to break it to you, but nobody has achieved 1TB in the 2242 form factor yet. As of current, it is physically impossible due to the size of the NAND chips, even if both sides of the 2242 PCB were fully populated.

If you see a 1TB 2242 advertised and you purchase it, you’re either
    1. Going to be refunded because the product isn’t available
    2. Be sent a 512GB model instead
    3. Be sent a 512GB model with remapped firmware to look like 1TB and end up with all kinds of corruption

512GB is achievable, but the 2242 form factor at 512GB isn’t cheap. You’ll need to look to the Chinese market to find one, since Western retailers do not sell them because of the thermal issues they inherit.

Best of luck!

Amit A
    Participant

@Olly, thanks a lot for the quick reply. And thanks for the info. I saw a KingSpec 1TB 2242 SSD sold on AliExpress (here) and was hoping it would work. But I can’t find any info about this one so I’m not sure about it.

I’m wondering if you have some recommendations for good and relatively cheap 512GB options (Chinese I guess…). Would greatly appreciate your input.

Olly
    Participant

@amita

No problem. You should be able to source a 512GB from China pretty easily. Have a search on AliExpress – there’s one for $120 or so.

Just be aware that most of the cheapo SSD brands will buy ‘less than perfect’ grade NAND chips from larger fabs like Micron, Intel and Samsung. While these are perfectly fine and will generally last as long as a leading brand under regular usage, they may have some minor defects.

For example, they may require a little more voltage to work properly (and therefore produce more heat) or have a couple of remapped blocks during the factory testing. While Google say SSDs with bad blocks are likely to fail much faster, the rate of failure under general use case is so small and drawn out that your laptop will last just as long, so don’t worry about it too much.

Sometimes the cheaper Chinese brands sell really great, flawless SSDs because other brands just daren’t delve into that space. None of the major Western retailers are selling 512GB SSDs in the 22×42 form factor — at least, not since Transcend discontinued theirs due to heat problems. But it’s a fact of life that when you’re squeezing so much onto a tiny PCB, it’s going to heat up, especially if you’re heavily reading from and writing to it. If you get one of the KingSpec ones, don’t worry too much about heat, but pop a thermal pad on the top and bottom of the SSD so that both sides make contact with the laptop’s chassis. That will help dissipate some of the extra heat.

Wizzard
    Participant

Hi, there. I just ordered my Teclast F6 Pro on geekbuying and impatiently waiting for it. It will be my first new real x86 laptop 🙂

I am already thinking about SSD upgrade, but I still do not understand if there is only one M2 connector and I can just replace that one or there is also another SATA connector somewhere inside. So, how it is like?

Frank Siegert
    Participant

> You’ll need to look to the Chinese market to find one, since Western retailers do not sell them because of the thermal issues they inherit.

Really?

https://www.amazon.de/Transcend-TS512GMTS400S-400S-Serie-Hochwertigem-M-2-SSD/dp/B076X365T6/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Works great in the F6. No thermal issues whatsoever….

Wizzard
    Participant

Ok, I will answer myself. It seems that Teclast F6 Pro has only one M2 SSD adapter, so when upgrading we need to replace the actual SSD for the new one 🙂

Olly
    Participant

> Really? https://www.amazon.de/Transcend-TS512GMTS400S-400S-Serie-Hochwertigem-M-2-SSD/dp/B076X365T6/ref=dp_ob_title_ce Works great in the F6. No thermal issues whatsoever….

The 400s series was discontinued in 2017. This is old stock. Give Transcend an email and ask them about the history of their 512GB 2242 SSDs – I’m sure they’ll deny to comment!

Frank Siegert
    Participant

I don’t think this is true, check:

https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-642

The 400S is still sold and actively supported. Lots of sales on ebay and amazon.

Wizzard
    Participant

I found an interesting MTS400 replacement SSD, Transcend MTS420, 240 GB, 3D TLC technology, even the price is half lower than MTS400.

https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-766

edit: it seems to be the same model as mentioned in the first post.

pipolitoto
    Participant

Hello !

Upgrade the ssd (replace the original 128Go by a 512 for example) is possible. But who tried to upgrade with a ssd M2 2242 nvme in this Teclast ?

And is really functional (R/W 1500 a 3500 mb/s0 after verify it’s OK in the bios (UEFI) ?

Example of SSD: https://www.reichelt.com/fr/fr/disque-toshiba-s-rie-rc100-m-2-nvme-240-go-tos-rc100-240g-p235202.html?PROVID=2788&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk9i3_vTj3wIViwrTCh31aQYgEAQYASABEgKUkPD_BwE&&r=1

If you have a good and serious experience give us!

thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar