HOW TO: dualboot Android/Windows on K9C3

HOW TO: dualboot Android/Windows on K9C3

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Pro Forum HOW TO: dualboot Android/Windows on K9C3

This topic contains 106 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  bakaka 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)
  • Author

Robert
    Participant

WARNING: by flashing new bios you will probably loose camera (let’s hope that only temporary, until new bios update). I haven’t checked whether the camera was working in windows after bios update, but after android flash and windows recovery it doesn’t work in neither android or windows

Needed files:

bios 1.05 for K9C3 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUOEKnPRz9geGJpMGtLZG1VdEk/view?usp=sharing

intel flash tools https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUOEKnPRz9gdFhrUDYtYlN4bVE/view

K9C6 android rom https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUOEKnPRz9geTNIcDRPOFBzdVE/view?usp=sharing

windows 10 recovery for K9C6
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2_tZ5uWPxifamZ2MUhEZTF4M00/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2_tZ5uWPxifa3huYlpjSXVkeVU/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2_tZ5uWPxifN2w2Ylgwc296RlU/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2_tZ5uWPxifbDFWWDVwY1E0Z0U/view?usp=sharing

always remove chinese characters from the names of extracted folders to avoid problems and errors

1. first backup your data from windows, since android instalation will wipe the original windows and everything will be deleted
    2. charge the tablet to full battery
    3. then you need to update bios, preferably from the root of C: drive to avoid problems (also run the installer as admin), as described in this video from Chris
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD04B-eHjGw
      Now you will have dualboot menu after restart, but don’t try to load android, you will just get windows bsod
    4. install intel flash tools on your pc (not on the tablet) in this order
      1. iSocUSB Driver
      2. IntelAndroidDriver
      3. PhoneFlashTool
    5. boot your tablet in fastboot mode, hold both volume buttons and press power button for 3 seconds, you will see “DNX FASTBOOT” on the display
      if you have problems with detection of connected tablet by your pc, try entering DNX mode through bios setting or try changing os image id in bios
    6. Connect the tablet to your pc using usb cable
    7. launch intel phone flash tool, you should see the tablet in the device listing
    8. In phone flash tool browse for flash.json file in folder with extracted android rom image
    9. select blank configuration and flash the rom to tablet (see first pic)
    10. After reboot you should have working android, first android boot takes some time, it will hang at the intel inside logo for a few minutes, so be patient
    11. few tips for first steps in android:
      1) change language from chinese to your preferred language: settings icon (bottom left), globe icon, first line
      2) delete data and cache of TOS launcher app in all apps settings, this will reset the names of applications to english
      3) launch TeclastAutoUpdate app and download and install new android update, otherwise the store will not work (this app crashed in the first try, but then it worked)
      4) you can uninstall unneeded chinese apps and install some better launcher from the store
    12. Now we will restore windows and make the tablet dualboot
    13. You will need at least 8GB flash drive, formatted to fat32 and during formating set the label to “WINPE”, otherwise it will not work
    14. Copy all the files from win10 recovery to flash drive
    15. Connect the flash drive to the tablet and reboot, the tablet will detect it automatically and you will be able to choose windows from dualboot menu
    16. The whole windows installation process is automatic and it will not request any input from you, it will take some time, so make sure that the tablet is charged
    17. after the windows installation you will go through standard windows OOBE where you can setup user etc.. and then, after few restarts you will have almost fully working dualboot K9C3

What doesn’t work: camera doesn’t work in android and even in windows, it is probably bios issue and I suppose it will be fixed in the next release

The emmc is partitioned that you have 20GB storage for android and 33GB for windows (with cca 20GB free space). The rest of the flash is used for android system and windows recovery (see second pic)

The android experience is pretty smooth, system memory usage after boot is cca 1GB, so there are 3GB free which should be more than enough for anything, android is 64bit. The lowest sound level in android is like the highest in windows, high volume in android is pretty loud.

Superuser app is not yet working but rooting the android shouldn’t be hard, since you can boot any linux from usb stick and mount any of the android partition for read/write access, I hope that I will succeed with this today

My antutu score is 50200 without any cooling mod (third pic)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Misiek
    Participant

I managed to flash the bios. However, I am now having major problems trying to power on the tablet. It just won’t power on. Sometimes it does, but most of the time it just stays off/shows a black screen.

EDIT: finally got it into DNX mode. Not sure what’s going on though with powering it :S

AndroidKosmos.de
    Participant

@robert thanks for the great manual but this means this is not the oficial way to flash the k9c3, right?

Is known whether it still gets an official version or so?

Web: AndroidKosmos.de

Robert
    Participant

well, it’s semi-official, all files were released by teclast, also on teclast forum you can find similar walkthrough in chinese…besides the bios update, this is official approach to restore K9C6 model

Misiek
    Participant

Yup, I think I f-ed up my X98 Pro. Almost impossible to power it on. And when on and in DNX mode the PC doesn’t recognize it (installed all reqs). Anybody have any idea what I can do?

When I connect it to the charger it shows the Teclast logo and after that the charging symbol for 2 seconds. After that screen goes black

Ok, finally I got it to boot back into Windows 10. I think it might be a good idea to reflash the bios. Is there a way to do this?

Robert
    Participant

I also had problems getting it recognized by pc when in dnx mode, or even getting to dnx mode when the tablet was charging, probably another “feature” of new bios. What I’ve done to make it work: get to the bios, connect the usb cable to pc, in the bios, there is dnx mode option on the first page, set it to enabled and after next reboot the tablet wil boot to dnx mode and it will get recognized by PC.

Misiek
    Participant

Thanks for the tip! I noticed that when installing the prerequisits the flashtool has updated versions of both the AndroidUSB Drivers as well as the iSoC drivers. So does installing the separate iSoC and Android USB even make sense?

Robert
    Participant

probably not, but I did it and it worked…

rich t
    Participant

Anyone having issues installing the intel files on the PC???? I get “The filename,directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect….WTF????

EDIT…Need to copy files to c root.

Misiek
    Participant

Did you remove the chinese characters from the directory names? Also are you running them as ‘Administrator’?

Robert
    Participant

delete all chinese characters in the folder name, this is always causing all kind of weird problems…

Robert
    Participant

another funny observation: if you want to boot linux from usb stick, you cannot do it after booting android, you must first reboot to windows and then reboot and boot from usb stick. Probably the bootmanager is initializing hardware differently depending on if you are booting android or windows.

Misiek
    Participant

Robert, do you by any chance know how to reflash the BIOS 1.05? Using the provided tool it just tells me I have the latest version. Is it possible to flash the included BIOS file? Ow and which key to enter the bios?

Robert
    Participant

well, theoretically speaking, the update tool is obviously using fptw64, which is kind of universal bios update tool from intel for intel platform. You can easily verify that by extracting the bios update tool with 7zip. You can try running “fptw64 -Fbios_rom_8m.bin -BIOS” after you extract all the files from installer from admin commandline and it should flash the bios, but I cannot guarantee that it will work… But that fptw64 tool is pretty inteligent, so it shouldn’t brick the tablet, I used it to flash new bios to my lenovo laptop and everything was ok.

you can enter the bios from windows 10 settings->update&security->recovery->restart now and then select troubleshoot->advanced options->uefi firmware settings, or if you have keyboard connected, I keep pressing esc and del right after I turn the tablet on and it gets to bios eventually

rich t
    Participant

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Now i cant get the damn pc to reconize the tab in dnx mode. Tried rebooting, uninstall, reinstall drivers….did the boot into bios and dnx mode….Any ideas???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password