Running Linux on the EZBook 2?

Running Linux on the EZBook 2?

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Running Linux on the EZBook 2?

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 370 total)
  • Author
    Martin
    Participant

Unfortunately there are obviusly slightly different hardware revision, the distros mentioned above (manjaro, POP 18.10) does not work with my ezbook 2 due to different hardware (mine have broadcom wifi, not realtek)

This worked for me:

install linuxium-ubuntu-18.04.2 from here:

http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/

activate touchpad while in live-distro:

open terminal

$sudo modprobe -r hid_multitouch

now touchpad should work

after installing and rebooting

activate touchpad again

to blacklist touchpad on startup

$sudo -s

$echo ‘blacklist hid_multitouch‘ >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

4. activate wifi

$sudo cp /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430a0-sdio.jumper-ezpad-mini3.txt brcmfmac43430a0-sdio.txt

5. reboot

6. install ukuu, install mainline kernel 4.19.x or newer

7. activate sound

I found a thread here: https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/soundkarte-bytcht-es8316-wird-erkannt-aber-kan/

the following script worked for me

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bIJTzBdMDejj8-6Er8EecjYSDcvULbPx/view

Finally:

working WIFI, sound (partially, only headphones), touchpad, tf card reader, hdmi out , battery monitor

not working bluetooth

hope it helps

c chandel
    Participant

Hi,

Can you share the file brcmfmac43430a0-sdio.jumper-ezpad-mini3.txt ?

Thanks

Martin
    Participant

Here it is:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Andre Paris
    Participant

Just upgraded to the latest Pop OS 19.04 WiFi is working at 75% and everything is just so much smoother

Brad
    Participant

smoother than what?

DD
    Participant

installed ubuntu budgie 19.04 on a ADATA X600 SSD, wifi works 100% of the time, trackpad is working as well.

With TLP on, I got an estimated battery life of 12 hours when fully charged. after using it for around 3 hours yesterday in Starbucks for web surfing and reply emails (no youtube streaming..etc) ,  battery % was 73%. no bad.

-----------

GilDev
    Participant

Unfortunately there are obviusly slightly different hardware revision, the distros mentioned above (manjaro, POP 18.10) does not work with my ezbook 2 due to different hardware (mine have broadcom wifi, not realtek) This worked for me:

Amazing! I’ve tried everything you said on my EzBook 2 using Ubuntu Budgie 19.04, touchpad works, WiFi works, I’ve installed kernel v5.1. Audio worked out of the box, along with volume and brightness controls from keyboard, although it took a few minutes before working, no idea why… I had one or two times where it lagged a lot, may need to test things further to see if it does it again, note that I’m currently running on a USB drive plugged into the USB 2.0 port.

I may finally be able to use this laptop a bit, thanks! I think I’ll try installing Lubuntu onto the micro-SD in order to get maximum performances and the lightest system possible.

EDIT: Can someone please explain to me how to boot from the microSD card (if it’s even possible)? Nothing shows up in the boot manager, only the old “ubuntu” entry which lands on GRUB and shows hd0, hd1 and hd2 when running “ls”, with only hd0 showing GPT partitions (4 ones), which is probably the EMMC with Windows installed.

DD
    Participant

i am using ubuntu budgie on my 3 pro and it doesn’t lag. it has a 120GB Adata X600 SSD installed, though.

I need night light mode on at all time and i need my portable external monitor to work properly, I have tried Kubuntu, lubuntu, Manjaro budgie/KDE, ubuntu…  ubuntu budgie is the one that seems to suit my needs. Lubuntu uses lxqt, i could get night light mode working as i desire ( redshift) and external portable monitor control brightness was not working properly, so I gave it up.

The track pad works but it’s kind of a bit inaccurate for all distro. I prefer to use a 5 buttons mouse myself.

-----------

Brad
    Participant

external portable monitor control brightness was not working properly

you have to use https://github.com/LordAmit/Brightness or something similar in combo with Redshift.

I use it all the time, works great.

GilDev
    Participant

Yeah LxQT is probably a bit lighter than Budgie. Trackpad works better in Linux that in Windows (where it shakes when the laptop is plugged in).

Any idea on how to boot from the microSD card? EzBook 2 can’t have an SSD.

zatsando
    Participant

Just upgraded to the latest Pop OS 19.04 WiFi is working at 75% and everything is just so much smoother

I have a Jumper EZbook 3 Pro and I cant install pop os. When I try to boot from usb it always show me a black screen with an underscore in the middle…

Brad
    Participant

I have a Jumper EZbook 3 Pro and I cant install pop os. When I try to boot from usb it always show me a black screen with an underscore in the middle…

Have you tried the latest Lubuntu or LinuxMint? If so which version and kernel?

DD
    Participant

It happens to other OS like deepin…  it needs more treaks to make thing work. I gave up.

-----------

DD
    Participant

thank, I have tried this brightness program in Lubuntu but I just couldn’t get the desire screen tone i want.

I go back to ubuntu budgie now.

-----------

David
    Participant

I also wanted to install Linux on my EZbook 2 (with the Z8300 CPU) and here are my findings:

Sound works on almost every distro out of the box.

Touchpad works on almost every distro if you disable hid_multitouch with

sudo modprobe -r hid_multitouch

Wifi ONLY works with Ubuntu Budgie if you rename brcmfmac43430a0-sdio.jumper-ezpad-mini3.txt to brcmfmac43430a0-sdio.txt in /lib/firmware/brcm/ and reload brcmfmac.

Distros I have tried are Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, Manjaro KDE.

Manjaro KDE runs much smoother than Budgie and I would prefere the KDE desktop over the others.

Finally, I don’t think I will switch to Linux yet, but will sure try to run Linux, when future updates are released.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 370 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar