Fitting an M.2 2280 SSD in EZbook 3 Pro

Fitting an M.2 2280 SSD in EZbook 3 Pro

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Fitting an M.2 2280 SSD in EZbook 3 Pro

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 167 total)
  • Author
    Chupa
    Participant

in real power off, no memory is retained no power used except for the on off circuit what is next to nothing
    In hibernation the memory is written to the ssd/emmc what needs no power to retain
    in sleep mod there is trickle power used to keep the memory alive

BUT you can activate charging through the usb port when the pc is off and then power is used and drained even if nothing is connected.
    same is for wake up on lan or wifi

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

lations
    Participant

BUT you can activate charging through the usb port when the pc is off and then power is used and drained even if nothing is connected.
    same is for wake up on lan or wifi

If what you’re saying is actually correct, then this might explain the power drain issues that we are having while it’s turned off.

What are all the settings that affect this, and where can we turn them off? Is it just the 3 things you mentioned? I believe the usb charging thing is in Windows somewhere, and the wake on lan/wake on wifi things are in the bios? No? Where are they?

Chupa
    Participant

you have to figure that out for your model version and windows version
    there are over 8 3 pro versions and as much windows 10 versions and the different behavior from 10 10 pro 10 enterprise 10 edu 10 ltb (next to no updates) etc

It became impossible to predict what model with what version behaves in which way.

It is a huge mess and grows bigger with every new versions. Now some pcs can not be updated and crash permanently until rolled back.

I locked my versions with 1703 and block all driver and windows updates on all win 10 laptops

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

lations
    Participant

you have to figure that out for your model version and windows version
    there are over 8 3 pro versions and as much windows 10 versions and the different behavior from 10 10 pro 10 enterprise 10 edu 10 ltb (next to no updates) etc

It became impossible to predict what model with what version behaves in which way.

It is a huge mess and grows bigger with every new versions. Now some pcs can not be updated and crash permanently until rolled back.

I locked my versions with 1703 and block all driver and windows updates on all win 10 laptops

Paranoia. If you don’t update then you don’t evolve. Windows 1803 works fine on most PCs, including these Jumpers.

Also I was asking you about how to turn off the power-drain e.g wake on lan, usb charging while off – but those settings are not dependant on the windows version. What are you actually talking about?

Chupa
    Participant

and I answered you, if you do not understand the answer, try google or ask somebody else to fix your problem for free

Need Help?

Paolo
    Participant

Hey, I’m back.

What I can say is that there is some battery drain even when the pc is shut down, and this doesen’t make any sense at all. So, I think is the battery that is poorly packed and suffers of weather discharge, it’s the phenomenon which occurs on all batteries on the earth’s face, but this time is enhanced by the low quality of the battery package. And we cannot do anything to prevent such discharge, it’s natural and it’s also a sign of the battery is slowly dying.

I have installed ALL the WIN10 updates and the pc works perfectly.

One thing has to be said: DO NOT UPDATE MANUALLY THE DRIVERS FOR THE WIFI ADAPTER! I’ve tried 3 versions of the dirver and the one which actually works great is the one already installed, number 19.51.12.3 of 12/03/2018. I’ve tried the 19.6something and the 20.06 (the last I found in the Intel download pages) and the signal got weaker and weaker under the same connection on the same conditions, from nearly 20 Mbps, to 10 Mbps reaching less than 1 Mbps with the last driver. So I disinstalled the Intel pro-set wireless and the driver for the wifi adapter, and windows installed the first driver found in the pc and everything now is fine.

lations
    Participant

I have installed ALL the WIN10 updates and the pc works perfectly.

One thing has to be said: DO NOT UPDATE MANUALLY THE DRIVERS FOR THE WIFI ADAPTER! I’ve tried 3 versions of the dirver and the one which actually works great is the one already installed, number 19.51.12.3 of 12/03/2018. I’ve tried the 19.6something and the 20.06 (the last I found in the Intel download pages) and the signal got weaker and weaker under the same connection on the same conditions, from nearly 20 Mbps, to 10 Mbps reaching less than 1 Mbps with the last driver. So I disinstalled the Intel pro-set wireless and the driver for the wifi adapter, and windows installed the first driver found in the pc and everything now is fine.

Wow, are you sure? Because I ran the Intel driver utility thing and also had it install those Intel Pro-set wifi drivers, but mine seems ok (admittedly I am very close to my router though). so you think I should revert to the driver that came with the PC? Or what? Let windows install it’s own drivers???

If possible please respond by tomorow, as i’m going travleling and would love to get this sorted before then.

Paolo
    Participant

Yes, I’m 100% sure. I was nearly purchasing an external wifi antenna for the frustration I was in. To roll back first uninstall the pro-set wireless software, then go to device manager, go to the Intel dual band wireless AC-3165, select driver and click on “uninstall device”. Finally, Win will install the first driver.

I was in a room poorly reached by the wifi signal, and the rollback gave me a boost on the connection. I’ve also used my Android phone as an external wifi antenna via USB and it worked great wen the last driver 20.06 was installed. But now I don’t need it anymore.

lations
    Participant

Yes, I’m 100% sure. I was nearly purchasing an external wifi antenna for the frustration I was in. To roll back first uninstall the pro-set wireless software, then go to device manager, go to the Intel dual band wireless AC-3165, select driver and click on “uninstall device”. Finally, Win will install the first driver.

I was in a room poorly reached by the wifi signal, and the rollback gave me a boost on the connection. I’ve also used my Android phone as an external wifi antenna via USB and it worked great wen the last driver 20.06 was installed. But now I don’t need it anymore.

Just to confirm, you let windows install a driver? You didn’t use the driver from the DoubleDriver dump

Paolo
    Participant

Exactly, I let WIN does his stuff

lations
    Participant

Just tried it, and not sure it’s any faster – but it might have a better range signal, which I didn’t test.

However, before I uninstalled the Pro drivers, I looked in the settings and noticed it was connecting on 2.4ghz, whereas in the Intel Pro Settings there is an option to force it to connect on 5ghz. Doing this instantly increased my connection speed from 150mbps to 300mbps, so maybe that’s the reason – as I noticed with the default windows drivers, it was connecting at 5ghz by default.

I mean really, I can’t think of any other reason that NEWER drivers would be worse (and don’t let Chupa see this comment as we all know what he’ll say about that()

Paolo
    Participant

I don’t know the reason are the 2.4 or 5 ghz band. But where I tried there are 2 connections 2.4 and one 5ghz. With the last drivers I could barely connect to those at 2.4 with a speed less than 0,5 Mbps and continuos disconnections. With old drivers I can see the 5ghz wifi and connect. So, the wifi range has been extended with old drivers. I’ve just read somewhere, maybe in one thread of this forum, that there is an issue between a WIN update and the newest drivers for the wifi adapter of these pcs. Then, maybe this is the biggest problem: imcompatibility of the drivers with newest versions of WIN10.

Chupa
    Participant

i did  a software wifi range test post here what might be of some help
    another simple solution is a tiny usb wifi stick
    got a cheap N at ali 2$ and it works instantly on different notebooks because it uses a standard windows 7-10 driver what is included in the win isos
    plug and play was never easier and instant

and if you run out of usb ports look at my fixed mounted extenders

remember
    Chupa sees all – ouch where did that stone came from
    Chupa hears all – will you please speak up
    Chupa knows all – he knows a spy named Google and friends
    Chupa smells all – only if I have a migraine

Need Help?

lations
    Participant

I don’t know the reason are the 2.4 or 5 ghz band. But where I tried there are 2 connections 2.4 and one 5ghz. With the last drivers I could barely connect to those at 2.4 with a speed less than 0,5 Mbps and continuos disconnections. With old drivers I can see the 5ghz wifi and connect. So, the wifi range has been extended with old drivers. I’ve just read somewhere, maybe in one thread of this forum, that there is an issue between a WIN update and the newest drivers for the wifi adapter of these pcs. Then, maybe this is the biggest problem: imcompatibility of the drivers with newest versions of WIN10.

5ghz has better range strength, so that’s probably it/probably the issue I mentioned. But I would be very keen to hear any more info or updates about this supposed Win10 compatibility issue you mentioned. Let’s keep each other posted.

George G
    Participant

Just a couple comments, the higher radio frequencies don’t travel as far because they are more easily reflected, so a 2.4 GHz WiFi frequency will have better range through obstacles than 5 GHz does, but 5 is less susceptible to radio interference and can have more throughput/speed when close to the router. Incidentally, my Jumper EZBook 3 Pro v4 works perfectly on both bands with the very latest Intel WiFi drivers from the Intel Driver and Support Assistant and the very latest build of Win10 from Windows Update. However, I will say that I am very choosy about picking the best transmission channels and bandwidth settings on my reliable and highly functional dual band router. I’m not sure how any of this is related to the original subject of SSD installation.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 167 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar