WiFi limited connectivity/disconnecting issues FIX Ezbook 3 Pro V3

WiFi limited connectivity/disconnecting issues FIX Ezbook 3 Pro V3

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series WiFi limited connectivity/disconnecting issues FIX Ezbook 3 Pro V3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    nils
    Participant

Hi guys, thought I would post this potential fix if your WIFI / internet access keeps disconnecting.

I had WiFi limited connectivity issues with my Ezbook Pro 3 version 3 purchased August 2017, where my internet would keep disconnecting from home or other network (all my other devices on the network had no issues) and I would keep receiving the following error in my web browser (both chrome and Microsoft edge):

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

I suspect a microsoft windows 10 update caused wi-fi networking issues by disrupting the existing Intel AC-3165 network adaptor driver (as the first thing I did when I received the laptop was to update my windows 10 via the windows update).

I searched the internet and have read that after a windows 10 update computers with similar Intel AC-3165 network adaptors have been unable to acquire an IP address from the routers they were connected to and, consequently, unable to connect to the internet.

Here are the steps I took to solve this problem on my Ezbook 3 Pro Version 3 (wireless AC version)

Check for windows updates and apply and new windows updates
    Then restart laptop
    Go to device manager
    Select network adaptor
    Select intel dual band  wireless ac3165
    Select disable device
    Select uninstall device
    Restart computer
    Go to device manager
    Select action, scan for hardware changes
    Go to device manager
    Select network adaptor
    Select intel dual band  wireless ac3165
    Select driver
    Select update driver
    Select search automatically for driver
    Let windows find and instal driver from online source (if it hasn’t already done so)
    My driver version is 19.1.0.4 (as at August 2017)
    While still in network adaptor settings
    Select power management
    Untick ‘allow the computer to turn off network adapter’
    Apply /save changes
    Now
    go to Edit Power Plan Options and on your Power Saver Plan click Change Advanced Plan Settings. After click on
    Wireless Adapter Settings in Power Saving mode select Maximum Performance.
    Go next to PCI Express click on Link State Power Management and select Off on battery and in Plugged mode. Apply this changes.

You may need to restart computer for changes to come into affect

The above fixed my WIFI disconnecting randomly. I hope this may be of some help.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Great fix. I have stuck this for others

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

nils
    Participant

Thanks Chris, further to this – I also advise people to also check the wireless ac card and the internal aerial/antenna connections by removing the back cover of the notebook. It appears that the wireless card is soldered in to the board? (can someone please confirm?) and therefore cannot be easily replaced/upgraded like most notebooks, however I did find that the two aerial/antenna connections loose (where they attach to the wireless ac card). also check where the aerials route within the plastic notebook hinge cover as they could be slightly damaged (broken) – one of mine had a sharp kink in it which I don’t think helped. Because of how the aerials/antennas are routed, they may also move or have pressure on them from the notebook hinge when the notebook  is opened (you can test this by opening and closing the notebook while the back cover is off). If they are damaged, the wireless mini pci internal antenna can easily be purchased from amazon etc for around $8 US. Its then just a matter of removing the existing ones (they unclip from the wireless card), route and install the new set.

Kyprianos
    Participant

I also have some issues with the wifi signal on my Ezbook 3 Pro.

When I first received it about a month ago, the wifi signal was very bad but this problem was partially alleviated by updating the Intel drivers.

Yesterday, I opened the case to install a m2 ssd. After screwing the case back, I had zero wifi signal again. Now I have removed the case again and the wifi signal is good. Could it be that the case is blocking the wifi or that some cable relating to wifi was moved after I opened the case in the first place?

nils
    Participant

it could possibly be related to the wifi antenna, unfortunately i’m having similar internet connectivity issues and wi-fi problems – I’m only a few metres from my wireless router!  download speed has dropped to 6Mbps when the internet is working! very disappointing!

I’ve taken the rear cover off and removed the antenna connections then re-connected the antennas but swapped them over. i’ve also placed some insulation tape over the antenna connection as I wonder if they potentially make contact with the aluminum rear cover (there is some flex in the back cover). since doing this my download speed has increased to 20Mbps and upload 6Mbps (this is on par with other devices in the house).  i aven’t as yet (touch wood!) had an internet disconnect.

does anyone have any other potential solutions to the wi-fi problem??
    I’ve ordered a usb 2.0 wi-fi AC adapter to see if I can get better wi-fi speeds and reliability. I’ve also ordered a new set of antenna to see if improves the wi-fi connectivity. this may take 4 weeks as ordered from aliexpress.
    Any other potential solutions? Chris?

Kyprianos
    Participant

Nils thanks for posting too.

I seem to have the same problems, virtually no wifi connection at all. Can you tell me how you managed to remove and swap the antennas? There is also some insulation tape on my laptop at the left part of the case where the antennas are curved in order to fit below the hinge of the monitor.

I had an old wifi b/g/n usb card which I tested and when using it the laptop performs 100% ok on wifi. So the problem is surely with the intel wifi card.

As I dont see every user complaining about wifi speeds I have come to the conclusion that the problem is only related to certain models so I have been in talks with Jumper to send mine back and have it repaired if it can be repaired after all. They still have not gotten back to me on this matter.

nils
    Participant

I have yet to remove the antennas as I am waiting on replacement parts however I did disconnect the antenna fittings with  a tweezer by pulling at the connection end (brass / gold colour) – see attached photo. I believe you can also pry them off with a small screwdriver – but be careful. Make sure the computer is shut down before attempting to do this.
    The antenna fittings clip into the wireless card – you will see a small circle on the wireless card where they clip into. its a very fiddly process and I needed glasses as very small but it can be done. I haven’t had any issues yet but its only been a few hours! I am also considering sending my unit back if Jumper will come to the party. Otherwise if the problem persists it is likely to be the wireless card. As it looks like it is soldered in – an alternative would be to purchase a USB wi-fi adaptor.
    I will keep everyone posted.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    SAVVAS
    Participant

Same here with my V4 , not impressed at all with the Wifi performance and coverage.

Kyprianos
    Participant

Thanks for joining Σάββα, so if v4 has wifi problems too maybe I will ask for my money back from Jumper since I have already packed the laptop and will be sending it back.

Unless they can replace the wifi card with a new one (?) that has acceptable performance of course.

Nils, thanks for the instructions, frankly I find the procedure too difficult for me and since I will be sending the laptop back anyway I guess its better to leave Jumper to take care of the problem.

David Stone
    Participant

I have Wifi performance problems (generally v.slow speeds, v.few antenna bars, and occasional disconnects) as well on the v.4. Have tried all sorts of tweaks but to no avail.

Standing next to the router with the bottom of the case off improves things but that’s obviously not a realistic solution for a laptop!

I suspect that a proportion of these have some sort of hardware fault as I’ve seen a number of people online complain about the same issue.

Kyprianos
    Participant

David,

Thanks for joining. I think you’ re right as to some of the laptops seem to have problematic wifi. Today I packed mine and sent it back to Jumper although I had to pay 37 euro for recorded delivery.

I am sceptical as to if they can fix it, I have also asked them to update me on how they will approach the fixing procedure. So, if they say they will just reinstall the o/s and drivers this obviously wont cut it for me and I will ask for a full compensation.

SAVVAS
    Participant

Good luck Κυπριανέ and keep us posted. I think I can live with its average perfomance. Maybe V5 is going to perfect this laptop.

George G
    Participant

Hi,

I found this interesting post concerning the AC 3165 wifi adapter at Intel’s web site: https://communities.intel.com/thread/111136

I was getting some erratic speed test results, so I installed Intel’s support assistant: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu

I then installed the newest Bluetooth driver. Then I rebooted my router. Now, the erratic speed test results are gone! Nice steady signal.

There is some discussion in the Intel forum about Bluetooth interfering with the wifi. YMMV, but it seems to have worked for me.

nils
    Participant

Thanks George G for the feedback, I too went down the route of updating drivers from Intel but it did not solve the internet connectivity issue. The bluetooth driver was updated (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) current version as at 24/09/2017 for Ezbook pro 3  V3 is 19.80.0.1 ) however when I go to update my existing  Ezbook pro 3 V3 Intel  Dual-band Wireless AC-3165 driver Intel says mine is currently up-to-date (current version as at 24/09/2017 is 19.1.0.04).  At the moment my wireless has remained stable (its only been a few days) since swapping the wireless antenna around – the connections could have been loose? I’m not sure but I’m now thinking that the issue could hardware related -faulty wireless cards or antenna etc, as most people have the same driver and this is affecting some machines -not all. I will keep all updated on my wi-fi issue. If it occurs again I’ll either resort to a usb wireless adaptor to get me through or see if I can send the unit back to Jumper for replacement. I’m actually disappointed in Jumper with their quality of manufacturing – my Jumper has the passed quality control sticker however Jumper failed to detect a cosmetic fault near the camera (their is a bend fault in the aluminum surrounding the camera and the wi-fi issue has been driving me nuts since I purchased the machine). Jumper needs to step up their game.

George G
    Participant

Has anyone actually confirmed that the wifi card is not removable? I understand that there are concerns about voiding the warranty, but I did this on another laptop and it was not difficult or expensive. Looks like the heat sink / backplate would have to be removed?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar