Poor WiFi fix – RTL8723BS – antenna soldering ?

Poor WiFi fix – RTL8723BS – antenna soldering ?

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi12 Forum Poor WiFi fix – RTL8723BS – antenna soldering ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Ivan
    Participant

Hi

Since everyone noticed a poor wifi performance on this tablet and no software setting cant fix this so question is, anyone know is it possible to
    solder on RTL8723BS chip something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-5dB-WIFI-Ceramic-Antenna-Ipex-for-Laptop-Tablet-Bluetooth-Wireless-Module-/141740586185?hash=item210065b4c9:g:zf4AAOSw-7RVGSLf

?

Dom
    Participant

Thats a very good idea. Id also like to know if it works. The poor wifi is the only thing thats bothering me about this tablet. The overall performance of the z8300 is quite good and very good for everyday tasks.

Rogus Mortem
    Participant
    Robert A
    Participant

I will be attempting this sometime this week, not with that antenna but trying shielding first, and replacement second. Shouldn’t be difficult in my opinion and probably an easy fix. Wifi reception on this device is just ridiculously poor. I’ll update this thread when I’ve had the chance to look at it.

Robert A
    Participant

The antenna really is a piece of crap. No wonder people have problems. See below for the patch (which I don’t know how much of a patch antenna that really is), and how it’s soldered onto the board. It looks like one wire is soldered in 2 places? Is that normal? Doesn’t seem like it to me. Looks like there should be 2 separate antenna pairs, one to each location.

Ivan
    Participant

Wow….this antenna looks like crap. Post some results if you gonna solder new one. I have spare one from notebook, I dont know is there room for fit one but gonna post some updates if do. Thanks

Robert A
    Participant

Wow….this antenna looks like crap. Post some results if you gonna solder new one. I have spare one from notebook, I dont know is there room for fit one but gonna post some updates if do. Thanks

I thought of using a spare one from an old laptop, but was unsure if it will be compatible with Wireless-N/Bluetooth also? I’m not an antenna expert but I think there is some slight difference for antennas for various functions. I ordered a pair off Amazon prime that is compatible. When it comes, I will try soldering a separate antenna on each point and test.

Andrew W
    Participant

Given that both bluetooth and WiFi operate in the 2.4 Ghz band.

Antenna design is more about frequency.

Unless you’re talking about MIMO (Multiple In – Multiple Out) then you’re talking about more than 1 antenna. ( which you see when there are wifi speeds above the 802.11 n (65 Mbps) 802.11 ac (72 Mbps)

Or 5Ghz wifi. In which case the frequency/wavelength is different and another antenna is better suited.

Good Luck with the mod.

Bill Christiansen
    Participant

From your pictures it looks like a bit of pressure on the coax cable where it runs over a component that looks like a diode. May just need a little repositioning. I would try that first as too much heat trying to unsolder will melt the plastic around the antenna conductors. My one I really can’t fault. It can see all the neighbors Wi-Fi and works fine in public hotspots.

Robert A
    Participant

From your pictures it looks like a bit of pressure on the coax cable where it runs over a component that looks like a diode. May just need a little repositioning. I would try that first as too much heat trying to unsolder will melt the plastic around the antenna conductors. My one I really can’t fault. It can see all the neighbors Wi-Fi and works fine in public hotspots.

I’ll see if I can’t gerry-rig it to the solder points without desoldering first, and see if there is an improvement in signal strength when the wire touches that point.

Blackburn
    Participant

Buy a micro sma laptop antenna for mini pcie cards, cut the plug and solder that to the pcb wifi connector. You can find them on ebay and they have a much larger area for improved signal. Make sure you place the antenna near the top. on the metal rear housing is not a good idea, the metal alloy inhibits the signal and results will be poor.

Or find a TP link micro USB wireless AC adaptor, open it up and remove the PCB and solder it to the inside of the USB 2 port.

Proud supporter of TechTablets via Patreon
    Tablets: Hi12 dual boot & MediaPad M5
    Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (Global ROM)
    PC: Dell G3 15 1050 Ti undervolted & repaste
    Desktop PC: AMD Ryzen 1700, 16GB RAM, 512GB 960 Evo, Gigabyte 1060 6GB

Robert A
    Participant

Buy a micro sma laptop antenna for mini pcie cards, cut the plug and solder that to the pcb wifi connector. You can find them on ebay and they have a much larger area for improved signal. Make sure you place the antenna near the top. on the metal rear housing is not a good idea, the metal alloy inhibits the signal and results will be poor. Or find a TP link micro USB wireless AC adaptor, open it up and remove the PCB and solder it to the inside of the USB 2 port.

That’s exactly what I ordered 🙂

Frank M
    Participant
    Robert A
    Participant

So I did some testing.

Here are my findings:

• Being 10 feet from my router (Asus RT-AC66U), I had only about -71dB on average
    • Take off metal backing with stock antenna, I get about -64dB on average
    • Apply new antenna with existing antenna (I didn’t bother to desolder the old one, I just added on), with case off: -51dB
    • Put back on metal backing with new setup, I get about -63dB on average

So the big limiting factor is that stupid aluminium back. I honestly can’t see a way to fix that from an internal standpoint. I’m not sure how iPads or other metallic backing tablets handle this, maybe a different antenna is necessary or it has to be very close and run along the edge of the case…

I have not tested with a wired ethernet adapter but I think wireless speeds on sites such as speedtest.net are being limited by the write speeds on the device itself… I can’t seem to edge out over 2mbps down, even with a wireless USB adapter.

Bill Christiansen
    Participant

It may depend on other factors such as channel interference or congestion. On speedtest Android app (using built-in Wi-Fi) I get 15.47 MBs download and 10.37 up, which is about limit of my broadband.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar