ThrottleStop for thermal and power consumption issues.

ThrottleStop for thermal and power consumption issues.

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Pro Forum ThrottleStop for thermal and power consumption issues.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    hevitikku
    Participant

After doing some research and testing regarding x98 pro:s issues i found a ThrottleStop software ( Download: ThrottleStop ).

It seems to be the only software to work with z8500 to manage multiplier/voltage/etc CPU related specs.

Quick tests show that it works well and here are some results:

Turbo enabled CPU multiplier 28(2.24GHz) Package power:6.7W

Turbo disabled CPU multiplier 18(1.44GHz) Package power:3.0W

Manually set multiplier 18(1.44GHz) and voltage 0.51 (least stable for me to get) Package power 2.7W

Manually set multiplier 12(0.96GHz) and voltage 0.47 Package power:2.2W

Disabling turbo here actually keeps it off, with Max CPU state it in my experience it still goes into turbo if the load is heavy enough.

Have not tested the actual battery life with this yet, kinda busy, so if someone is willing to test, that would be cool.

Tidus
    Participant

Are you able in any way to retain the intermediate cpu scaling states but limit the Turbo speed to something like z8300 speeds? e.g. 1.84 GHz. Perhaps reducing the Clock Modulation to less than 100 or restricting the package limit?

hevitikku
    Participant

Clock modulation limiting works ok too but it uses turbo voltage (0.71) on high demand tasks on any cpu clock, this causes high power consumption and heating.

Clock modulation 50%(1.12GHz) Package power 4.2W

Clock modulation 75%(1.68GHz) Package power 5.3W

Clock modulation 87.5%(1.96GHz) Package power 6.0W

Tidus
    Participant

When I load Throttlestop on my desktop (i5-3330), it is possible to reduce the Turbo clock multiplier/speed using the TRL button. Are you able to reduce it on the Atom chips?

Currently I cannot reduce the turbo voltage but I can increase it. I wonder if the author of the software could unlock this feature?

I guess if we were to limit the turbo multiplier (and reduce votlage) we could operate a ‘power saving’ configuration which doesn’t hit 2.2 GHz.

I don’t have an X98 pro (yet) I have the new X98 plus dual OS on order but I may change my mind if I could get the same longevity!

hevitikku
    Participant

No TRL button available on x98 pro (i do have one on my desktop too i5-3570z). So the only working options i found so far are disable turbo(cuts power consumption in half without losing all the performance) or set manual multiplier/voltage.

Laser
    Participant

Sorry, probably it’s a silly question but, if it is disabled in the bios the turbo, doesn’t do the same?

hevitikku
    Participant

Yes it should be the same but this allows to adjust it within OS, so you can easily turn it on/off depending on demands of application.

Ryan
    Participant

What about setting the maximum processor state to 99% in windows power options?  This should prevent the processor from activating turbo mode.

hevitikku
    Participant

In my experience running some high demand tasks, games, etc, still puts it in turbo, even with max cpu state at 99%.

Laser
    Participant

In my experience i didn`t see any decrese performance, setting in bios to disable turbo. The cores still go to 2.4. The system looks very stable and fast. So where is the difference?

hevitikku
    Participant

If you mean IGD turbo, that is a different thing. IGD stands for Integrated Graphics Device so that should lower the gpu performance but cpu stays the same.

Laser
    Participant

Now I get it… makes sense. Thanks.

Not trying to change the topic, but if we can update correctly the graphics card, the IGD turbo could be set to enable and the tablet should be stable…Am I wrong?

Ii can’t update from intel, the new package 15.40.1.64.4256 seems to be wrong, because inside is the same 10.18.15.4256)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar