X98 Plus Tricks/Tips

X98 Plus Tricks/Tips

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Plus Discussion X98 Plus Tricks/Tips

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi I’m Max I ordered a X98 Plus from BG on 11.11 and was lucky (maybe) enough to snag one of the 9 that they had in stock before Chris posted his review and the orders started to go up 🙂

I should get mine in 2 weeks or so so I figured I would start a thread for help for new owners. From the reading I have been doing on the X98 Pro, we will more than likely be in store for some Bios flashing, driver updates, tweaks to W10 and the like, if we want to get the most out of this new model.

I signed up for the Teclast bbs, but as I don’t read Chinese it is very difficult. Add the fact that you can’t get most links/pics/downloads when proxied with Google translate. Edit: Chrome translates without proxy but it is much more painfull, but at least you get the links, downloads etc.

***** Read the latest posts in the thread for the most up to date information *****

***** This thread was created when only the Windows 10, A5C6 version was available, not all info may be relevant to A5C8 owners *****

*****!!!!!! BIOS files ARE NOT interchangeable between the A5C6 and A5C8 !!!!!!*****

TIPS:

Boot the tablet. If it has a pre-installed  account you can use it to test the tablet and do a factory reset, or a usb install of the latest version later on, as per Pro tutorial. Your preinstalled account will have all MS spyware enabled.

Run a dead pixel test like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIA_4nV-CqE

Look everything over, device manager, windows activation etc.

Extract your Windows 10 key from the Bios using the utility in the downloads section. **VERY IMPORTANT**

Back up the tablet with some kind of backup software. I used Acronis TrueImage in the past but I am not sure about compatibility here. Others have mentioned this: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Back up drivers with Double Driver. There is an file here but if the hardware changes in the next few months it may not match your hardware.

Flash newer Bios ONLY if you feel comfortable doing so….Brick is possible!

Jan 27/2015 For A5C6 current BIOS is 1.02 (5.011, 2015-12-11)
    For A5C8 Dual Boot ???????

EDIT: I wanted a clean Windows 10 install so I did a factory reset found in the backup/restore section of settings. Some posted that the factory reset may fail when an SD card is in the slot. I had mine out and it completed in 2-3 hours.

Will add to the list as more info becomes available.

There is now a Double Driver rar on this server for the Plus.

Janx was good enough to host a A5C6 Teclast factory restore image. You can find it in this thread:
    http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/new-x98-plus-system-installation-files-dec-152015/

General Windows 10 Tips for X98 Plus
    These tips have been compiled from user advice posted in the thread. Take it or leave it…up to you.

* Turn OFF the sliders for most of Microsoft’s privacy settings. Google search is your friend here 🙂
    * In settings>>ease of access>>other options turn OFF Show visual feedback and Play animations
    * In settings>>devices>>typing turn ON Add standard keyboard and Show Touch Keyboard
    * In settings>>privacy>>background apps and turn OFF any of the apps that you don’t use
    * Long press the taskbar speaker icon>>playback devices>>properties>>system effects>>turn OFF Equalizer
    * Put Windows Defender on the shelf and install a better firewall/antivirus solution. I use Zone Alarm free Antivrus + Firewall
    * Install an acurate battery taskbar icon like BatteryBar

I look forward to others who have one on order to pop in and introduce yourself! I am sure we will all be looking for help from one another and the Pro owners as soon as we get our tabs!

Take Care,

MadMax

Peter
    Participant

Hi, I also got it from BG ( one of lucky 9 ). it arrived in one week via DHL. I gave my first impresions in previous post on X98 Plus topic. I used Double driver ( from download section on this forum ) and backed up my drivers ( about 600MB) ; glad to upload it if Chris can point me in right direction :), also am using USB OTG HUB http://eu.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-4-Port-Micro-USB-OTG-Charger-HUB-Cable-For-Tablet-Phone-wp-Uk-975460.html but still cant get it to charge while using USB drive. HDMI works ok, connected to TV with no problem.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I ordered one of those hubs too, but from the china warehouse. Does yours have the black or white jacks?

Good to see the Plus section get rolling…..lets get this show on the road!

Good idea for all new owners to back up the tab with some sort of backup software BEFORE you start modding 🙂 I used Acronis in the past but I see others have posted some other free software here. What do others think is the best software to do this?

Peter
    Participant

It has black jacks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Chris or Peter, did you do a factory reset and have you done the November Win 10 update on your Plus yet?

Peter
    Participant

Yeah. I did both. Everything works fine for now.

Dương ĐInh
    Participant

Hi I’m Max I ordered a X98 Plus from BG on 11.11 and was lucky (maybe) enough to snag one of the 9 that they had in stock before Chris posted his review and the orders started to go up :)<noscript>&amp;amp;lt;img src=”//techtablets.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/simple-smile.png” alt=”:)” class=”wp-smiley” style=”height: 1em; max-height: 1em;”/&amp;amp;gt;</noscript>I should get mine in 2 weeks or so so I figured I would start a thread for help for new owners. From the reading I have been doing on the X98 Pro, we will more than likely be in store for some Bios flashing, driver updates, tweaks to W10 and the like, if we want to get the most out of this new model. I signed up for the Teclast bbs, but as I don’t read Chinese it is very difficult. Add the fact that you can’t get most links/pics/downloads when proxied with Google translate. Edit: Chrome translates without proxy but it is much more painfull, but at least you get the links, downloads etc. TIPS: Boot the tablet. If it has a pre-installed account you can use it to test the tablet and do a factory reset, or a usb install of the latest version later on, as per Pro tutorial. Your preinstalled account will have all MS spyware enabled. Run a dead pixel test like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIA_4nV-CqE Look everything over, device manager, windows activation etc. Extract your Windows 10 key from the Bios using the utility in the downloads section. **VERY IMPORTANT** Back up the tablet with some kind of backup software. I used Acronis TrueImage in the past but I am not sure about compatibility here. Others have mentioned this: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx Back up drivers with Double Driver. There is an file here but if the hardware changes in the next few months it may not match your hardware. Flash newer Bios ONLY if you feel comfortable doing so….Brick is possible! Windows November update/intel driver update. I don’ t have mine yet so I can’t say this will not hang at 66% as others have reported for the Pro? Others reported it you leave it be for hours it will complete. Proceed with caution! Will add to the list as more info becomes available. There is a Plus driver pack on the teclast bbs but it may be a copy of the Pro drivers?? There is now a Double Driver rar on this server for the Plus. I look forward to others who have one on order to pop in and introduce yourself! I am sure we will all be looking for help from one another and the Pro owners as soon as we get our tabs! Take Care, MadMax

Hi pro, can you guide me to upgrade BIOS????

Peter
    Participant

Just download Bios updater from downloads section on this forum under Teclast/X98 Plus,enter model number (back of the tablet) and follow on screen instructions.that’s it.

YouJoon Park
    Participant

I bought mine on GearBest and it is a pre-sale item right now… I’ve been waiting for it soo long. But, thing is that they will start delivering process on November 30th.

So, my question is…  Would I need to do the whole process you have recommended? Any benefits of doing it?

YouJoon Park
    Participant

To be honest. I want the fullest experience with my x98 Plus.. But, reading your post I got a bit lost. Is this recommended to be applied on the x98 Plus??

Peter
    Participant

If you mean BIOS update than yes,because it fixes some bugs with occasionaly slower performance.

Dương ĐInh
    Participant

Just download Bios updater from downloads section on this forum under Teclast/X98 Plus,enter model number (back of the tablet) and follow on screen instructions.that’s it.

Yes, i followed and my bios is latest, but i don’t know install driver.zip. Its not file setup.exe

Peter
    Participant

If you mean drivers also from download section,those are drivers for tablet for win if you reinstall win so you have backup in case something goes wrong and you dont need to install them now since everything is working ok.

YouJoon Park
    Participant

Thank you Peter for your reply!

Yes that is what I am going to do the first thing. I meant by doing the factory reset and running the dead pixel test(?).

Anonymous
    Inactive

So I got my X98 Plus from BG on Sunday. Typical ghetto packaging but it did the job…no damage. Ordered Nov 11, shipped Nov 14, arrived at my door in Canada on Dec 6, 23 days after it was shipped.(free shipping)

I followed my own steps above and updated the bios first, backed up, windows factory reset (took a long time…3-4 hours), windows updates (2-3 hours), and finally a dead pixel test and some benchmarks.

Everything is working smoothly now, and I have to say that for someone who is not interested in the newer games on their tablet, this tablet is a great bang for the buck. I was using tablets with low dpi screens and this one is a treat! My storage benchmarks were 2-3% higher than the ones Chris posted, OS driver optimization for Cherry Trail maybe? My Icestorm score was also slightly higher at 12,147.

The recommended BG usb otg hub I got a day after the tablet does NOT charge with port access on switch position #2 (black ports on mine). Peter also mentioned that his hub is the same way. I hope we can find a hub that works with the Plus. Maybe the octopus style one posted for the Pro, that Banggood also seems to stock.

Take care people and I hope that the people waiting on theirs will get them shipped soon,

Max

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 194 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar