ATTENTION: Possible x98- Windows update sudden death

ATTENTION: Possible x98- Windows update sudden death

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Plus Discussion ATTENTION: Possible x98- Windows update sudden death

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    WRH
    Participant

ATTENTION:
    Until there is a solution to the x98- Windows update sudden death syndrome., I highly recommend that everyone disable automatic driver updates in Windows 10. It appears that TecLast may have published a faulty firmware update driver that Windows update may automatically install for you and upon reboot your device will be bricked, dead, unable to power up or to charge.  once this happens, there is no way for the user to correct the problem, you cannot boot into BIOS and the device is completely unresponsive.
    Read this for the method to do this. Its quite easy.
    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/stop- … y-updating-your-pc/

NOTE: This is not the same as postponing Windows Updates, I don’t recommend stopping all windows updates, just drivers.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    StormChild
    Participant

I have A6C9, I’ve upgraded the firmware to the latest a week ago, everything went fine (the upgrade process has two parts, each after a reboot, so there’ll be three reboots in total), so I assume the firmware upgrade on A6C9 is safe – anybody else who had succeeded on this variant?

Have a nice day, y'all!

Nicola
    Participant

OMG! At Teclast they really suck… how the fuck is possible to brick a Windows device just by updating a driver!!!

Peter
    Participant

OMG! At Teclast they really suck… how the fuck is possible to brick a Windows device just by updating a driver!!!

They are serving the EFI Update for other models. Unfortunately, Teclast gave the A5C6 model the same ID as the A5C8, so Windows flashes the wrong BIOS/EFI on the A5C6

David
    Participant

They are serving the EFI Update for other models. Unfortunately, Teclast gave the A5C6 model the same ID as the A5C8, so Windows flashes the wrong BIOS/EFI on the A5C6

But A5C8 also bricks, they are serving a corrupt BIOS update..

Gaudemaus
    Participant

Hi! Any news about this? Any solutions or something to do?

I should dig on forums first… I just updated and now the x98 plus (A5C6) isn’t starting up…

If you guys know if there are a solution or something i can do…

Thx

Rogodra
    Participant

I have A6C9, I’ve upgraded the firmware to the latest a week ago, everything went fine (the upgrade process has two parts, each after a reboot, so there’ll be three reboots in total), so I assume the firmware upgrade on A6C9 is safe – anybody else who had succeeded on this variant?

A6C9 has a new BIOS, which version?

WRH
    Participant

For modern PC, driver updates can update UEFI (modern BIOS replacement). Properly implemented, this should never cause a bricked device because the firmware is supposed to store the previous version and rollback on bad boot. Obviously TecLast and Chuwi share a bad design.

wpbear
    Participant

is this still a problem?

WRH
    Participant

I have confirmation from Chuwi and customers with CHuwi tablets that the problem has been resolved for them. You should wait for Teclast customers to confirm before opening he flood gates again.

Henri
    Participant

So is A6C9  safe or nah? I just got the tablet today and don’t wanna brick it.

Hiroshi
    Participant

So I was just going through the forum when I noticed this discussion. I should be getting this tablet soon what should I do to protect myself?

Hiroshi
    Participant

Alright so I ordered my X98 plus dual os tablet on 2016-06-20 it is 2016-06-27 & ofcourse it hasnt arrived. I was not expecting it this soon so dont worry im not unrealistic when it comes to ordering thing from china. I do hope it comes within the time frame Banggood said it would which is 7-20 days. If not ill still be ok with it arriving 30 days from the order date. I only hope I dont become one of the horror story I have seen on the forums. Well wish me well, ill keep you updated. If you have any info related to this forum topic that can help me to avoid having my new tablet become a brick I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Hiroshi

Ventura CA

Torbjørn Røstelien
    Participant

<hr />

@hiroshi

Solution to No brick Are easy.

Just dont flash it. Dont!!

Hiroshi
    Participant

@torbjørn

I was under the impression that this occurred on its own while your connected to wifi. But does I only occur after a divice has been flashed to a new rom? I was not familiar with the term flashing so I had to look up what flashing is. I hope I understand the term correctly. By the way thanx for the info.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar