Potential solutions to some Hi10 Issues

Potential solutions to some Hi10 Issues

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi10 Discussion Potential solutions to some Hi10 Issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    kravmama1
    Participant

First, given all the issues listed here in the forum, I would suggest making a system backup as well as a recovery drive as soon as you receive your tablet and backup important files frequently. My device is working fine, but I did research in case I develop the same problems as others. From doing a web search, it seems that some of these issues may be related to Windows 10 and not just to this specific tablet. Here are some possible solutions to some problems. They may not work for everyone, but may help some.

Slow Chrome browser 

1. disable hardware acceleration in Chrome settings

2. run Windows compatibility troubleshooter. Control Panel>System and Security:Find and Fix Problems>Programs: Run programs made for previous versions of Windows> Next. Select Google Chrome, Test and then save settings.

Here is the link to the forum where this issue is discussed as well as other potential solutions: https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chrome/J-vACZcpmeo

Tablet won’t start/ black screen (UPDATE: see post#30166 below)

Web search shows that many Surface tablet owners also have had this problem. One thing that I have personally noticed is that if I put the tablet to sleep while a web page is open and then try to wake it up again, it causes problems with the tablet, so I would suggest closing all tabs and programs before sleeping.

Here is how some Surface tablet owners were able to turn on their tablet:

Method 1. Hold power button for 30 sec.

Method 2. Hold power and volume up button for 15 sec.

Method 3. Disconnect keyboard and all other devices including power cord. Hold power button for 2 minutes, release 30 sec, then press power button again for 5-10 seconds.

Method 4. Tightly wrap tablet in plastic and place in freezer, screen side up for 3 hours, then room temperature for 2 hours, plug in charger, hold power and volume up button for 15 seconds, release x 2 seconds, then hold power button for 2 seconds. (WARNING: Use this method at your own risk. There is a risk of damaging the tablet further due to condensation.)  UPDATE: Now that I understand problem better, I no longer recommend this. See subsequent posts.

Here is one of many forums where this issue was discussed:  http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-pro-3/379941-surface-pro-3-wont-turn-battery-driver.html

If there is charge in the battery, the issue may be that the tablet goes into sleep mode and cannot wake up. Which makes sense that some of the steps above work for some people as some are attempts to do a forced shutdown and reboot from sleep mode. This issue may be due to a need to update drivers. Windows 10 updates and installs in the background, so the tablet may work well one day and not the next because the latest update may not be compatible with the current driver installed. Here is a link to some potential solutions:

http://www.troublefixers.org/windows/fix-windows-10-wont-wake-up-from-sleep-or-turn-on-issue/166/

Another method to update drivers is listed below.

If the button pushes above do not cause reboot or forced shutdown, then another way to shutdown the tablet from its sleep state is to drain the battery. (WARNING: Draining the battery fully, can itself cause problems. Do at your own risk!) Attach a hard drive or other device to drain the battery or leave it alone for 1 week. Once the battery is completely drained, recharge it. The charging light may start to blink again. Once the tablet has been on the charger for 4 hours after full drainage, push the power button and see if it will restart.

Sluggish gaming response, difficulty with playing media, general sluggishness (UPDATE: driver update not yet available for this processor through Utility mentioned below. My tablet was automatically pushed a graphics driver update on 3/02/16)

Try updating the Intel graphics driver. My other Windows tablet had problems with playing media – stuttering and loss of sound. I downloaded the Intel Driver Update Utility from http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?cid=cim:ggl and ran it. It told me that my graphics driver needed an update. After updating the graphics driver to the recommended one, my tablet’s performance improved significantly. I ran the utility on my Chuwi. There is a recommended update for the graphics driver but I have not updated it yet, because I am not experiencing issues yet and I do not play any intensive games. (UPDATE: the suggested driver update  from the utility cannot be installed in the Hi10)

To maximize gaming performance on your current graphics driver, see this article:

http://www.howtogeek.com/245592/how-to-improve-gaming-performance-with-intel-hd-graphics-chips/

DRIVER UPDATE FROM ALEX (see subsequent post #30477)

Here is a driver update posted by Alex that he got from Chuwi China forum that is supposed to fix screen flicker problem in those with a 64 bit tablet only. He is currently testing it on his Hi10. If you choose to download and install, do at your own risk at this time.

Intel(R) HD Graphics_20.19.15.4352

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FA862B5A2F285C0B!144982&authkey=!ANoIif2wulSIs8g&ithint=file%2czip

Also Chuwi has posted official Windows 10 system, BIOS, and drivers in their forum:

http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-229-1-1.html

I hope that some of what I posted helps some tablet owners. I just did a web search of “windows tablet” or “windows 10” followed by the specific problem and found the suggestions above.

I will continue to edit/update this post as I find more information. Please post if any of the above work for you.

Laura
    Participant

don’t do the freezer thing. it will just make moisture inside the tablet condensate on the board and damage stuff

kravmama1
    Participant

Yes. Thank you for pointing that out. There is a risk of condensation damage with the freezer thing. If you read the forum that I cited, the poster tried to mitigate the condensation issue. The poster was desperate and the tablet was already deemed “dead. ” It worked for that person and a few others on the forum.  But use that freezer method at your own risk!

I have edited my original post to include that warning.

Another thing to try is if the battery seems dead and charging light won’t turn on, trickle charge for an hour via USB port of computer and see if the charging light starts to blink at that point. If so, finish charging using a wall charger.

Ben
    Participant

Hey , You SAVED my hi10 !!!

Created this post about how it is working now

http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/chuwi-hi10-cannot-power-potentially-solved/

Credited you! hope you don’t mind!

kravmama1
    Participant

Glad to hear that your hi10 is working again! That means that there is hope for other hi10 users, and that some issues may be Windows related and not due to a bad tablet.

I figured that if Surface pro users were having the same issues, then it may be an OS issue, since that is a high end tablet.

Conscript
    Participant

I tried to solve the black screen issue using the described steps and a whole lot more, unfortunately it did not work 🙁

kravmama1
    Participant

Additional suggestions for black screen issue

For some owners, the issue is hardware, the tablet may be defective. For others, it is software and can potentially be fixed. If there is charge in the battery, then what may be happening is that the tablet may be going into sleep mode and won’t wake up. I am posting a link that suggests that updating a driver may fix the problem. Four possible solutions are listed in detail. It’s worth a read and a try.

http://www.troublefixers.org/windows/fix-windows-10-wont-wake-up-from-sleep-or-turn-on-issue/166/

I have updated my original post to include this link.

kravmama1
    Participant

I tried to solve the black screen issue using the described steps and a whole lot more, unfortunately it did not work :(<noscript>:(</noscript>

Do you have charge in your battery? If so, have you tried completely draining the battery, then recharging, then power button?

Conscript
    Participant

I do not know if the battery is charged. When I connect it to a charger, the charging light does not light up.

I haven’t tried draining it yet, so I might try that.

Also, when I turn it on, I can hear the tablet chip resonating (modem like sounds) when I put my ear very near it. It then stops at the same time, each time. I dont know if this means the battery is almost empty, or there is some other issue.

kravmama1
    Participant

First, don’t try to boot up on low battery. That can make it crash. Go ahead and connect to charger. To see if there is charge in the battery, connect a device with a light to one of the USB ports. If the device lights up, the battery is not dead.  Keep it on the charger for a couple hours before attempting to boot up.

On hi12 forums, some had success with docking the tablet in its docking keyboard, if you have one. If not, try attaching an external USB keyboard and pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL. You may have to press those keys a couple times then try to long press the power button. Then short press power button to turn on.

If you eventually wake up the tablet, please let us know what worked.

kravmama1
    Participant

OK. After all my warnings that going into software-triggered (non-power button push) sleep state can trigger the black screen problem, I managed to cause the black screen on my tablet by pushing a hotkey on my wireless keyboard that triggered sleep and sent it into a coma. Given all my research, I didn’t panic. I tried pressing CTL+ALT+DEL a couple of times, then long press power button followed by short press. Then tried ESC key and  other random keys on the keyboard. Tried power+ volume up button. I connected to charger and no LED light. I removed the charger and connected a USB keyboard and pressed CTL+ALT+DEL a couple times, then long press on the power button for at least 30 seconds. Reconnected charger and LED charging light was blinking. Pressed power button and also power+volume up , don’t remember which first. Tablet started to boot with Chuwi logo then went to black screen. LED charging light still blinking. Did more research and read that sometimes Windows 10 will cause lockscreen to be black on startup. Solution: press CTRL then enter your PIN/password. After doing that, I long press power to shut down, then short press to start up. Tablet booted up and working normal again. From now on, will avoid putting tablet in sleep mode.

kravmama1
    Participant

UPDATE TO BLACK SCREEN ISSUE

This applies to tablets that have charge in battery, but has black screen.

There seems to be 2 situations.

1. Screen is black, can’t shut down or boot up.
    2. Tablet boots up to black screen.

Screen black and won’t shutdown/boot up

This is known to occur on several different tablets/laptops after update to Windows 10. This is most commonly associated with the tablet going into sleep mode and not waking up. This is associated with issues with drivers incompatible with Windows 10. To recover the tablet, one must attempt a forced shutdown, then reboot. Here are some suggested methods (each number is a different method) and explanation of what is happening:

1. Hold power button for 30 seconds or longer (this attempts forced shutdown). Let it sit for 15 seconds. (this allows it to run any shutdown routine and achieve a full powered-down state).Push power button for 5-10 seconds (this attempts to restart tablet after shutdown).
    2. Hold power button for 30 seconds (this attempts forced shutdown). Push power button + volume up button for 15 seconds (this is called the 2-button  forced shutdown). Let it sit for 15 seconds (this allows it to run any shutdown routine and achieve a full powered-down state) . Push power button for 5-10 seconds (this attempts to restart tablet after shutdown).
    3. If you had previously configured a USB mouse or keyboard to awaken the tablet from sleep, attach the device and push any button or key. People who have the original docking keyboard are able to wake up their tablet by redocking it because when first connected, the keyboard  was automatically configured to be able to wake up the tablet from sleep. The tablet will not respond to a bluetooth mouse or keyboard, because the tablet disables bluetooth mice and keyboards in sleep state to conserve battery ,and this cannot be changed in device manager settings.
    4. Attach a USB keyboard. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del (self-explanatory). then push up arrow key once (this takes you to the shutdown icon, but you can’t see because of the black screen.). Push Enter. Wait 15 seconds (this allows it to run any shutdown routine and achieve a full powered-down state). Push power button 5-10 seconds (this attempts to restart tablet after shutdown).
    5. Sometimes anything attached to the tablet can prevent it from waking up. Disconnect all attached devices including power cord. Hold power button 2 minutes( to force shutdown). Wait 30 seconds, then press power button again 5-10 seconds (to restart).
    6. Draining the battery fully will shut down the tablet but can cause problems, so do this only as a last resort and at your own risk. If battery is fully drained, it may actually take a few DAYS on charger to be able to recharge it again.

Once you have recovered your tablet, you can try to prevent this from happening by:

1. Change settings to disable sleep mode completely. However, keep in mind that this will drain your battery faster and you would need to manually shutdown the tablet after each use.
    2. Update BIOS (be careful not to brick the tablet).
    3. Update graphics driver if possible. The Update Utility won’t work. There is not a downloadable updated driver for Z8300 processors for Windows 10. My tablet was pushed a driver update on 3/02/16. See if your tablet’s driver was updated as well.
    4. Exit out of all programs before entering sleep mode.
    5. Configure a USB mouse or keyboard to be able to awaken the tablet from sleep.

Tablet boots up to black screen

You may see a  the Chuwi logo for a few seconds followed by a black screen. You may or may not see a mouse on the screen This has been an issue on other tablets besides Chuwi tablets on Windows 10. What is happening is that the lockscreen is appearing as a black screen.

Press Ctrl (this takes you to the PIN/Password input screen, but you can’t see it). Enter your PIN/password, then press enter.

If you still have a black screen after that, then force shutdown with power button held for 30 seconds or power+volume up for 15 seconds. wait 15 seconds, then power button for 5-10 seconds to restart .

To prevent this from happening again you can try updating BIOS/drivers, disable fast startup or other methods described in this forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/windows-10-final-build-black-screen-after-boot/6c216e14-a112-461e-9faa-62594e195b13?auth=1

Sun Log
    Participant

My tablet was automatically pushed a graphics driver update on 3/02/16

Hello. Thank you for your detailed instructions. I have Chuwi hi10 Q64G42151202677 model. with c106_B101UAN.607 x 64 version of BIOS. I have a problem with plugging/unplugging hdmi cable to TV. When I plug it, I see windows on TV, black screen on tablet. When I unplug the cable, the screen on tablet starts flickering. My Intel HD drivers version – 20.19.15.4308 from 22/10/2015

Could you help me with this issue? Maybe you can give the link to the latest Intel HD Graphics driver?

Thank you.

kravmama1
    Participant

I won’t be able to get to my Hi10 until much later. For now, try this:

With tablet attached to TV so that you can see the display, try attaching USB keyboard to tablet. Then push window button+P. This should bring up display menu. Not sure exact word used, but select “duplicate” or ” project”  ( the selection above “extend”). You should now see screen on both tablet and TV.

Will update with more information after I have tried it myself.

Sun Log
    Participant

I won’t be able to get to my Hi10 until much later. For now, try this:

Thank you for your reply. The problem was in case with magnet. I don’t know why, but it influenced on the tablet when rotating.

But now I have another problem. Display is flickering. I tried to reboot, it didn’t help. I read that bios update fixes it. But I have ***2677 number of tablet. 607 version of BIos as I know is the latest for this tablet. Right?

The second problem is charging with full brightness. TechTablet’s review says that need to change it to Surface 3  charger. What do you suggest? Maybe use another charger?

Thank you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar