970 Evo plus SSD worth it at 2X speed in Mi Notebook Pro?

970 Evo plus SSD worth it at 2X speed in Mi Notebook Pro?

TechTablets Forums Xiaomi Discussion Mi Notebook Air series 970 Evo plus SSD worth it at 2X speed in Mi Notebook Pro?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    felince
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I own a Mi notebook Pro with core i7 16GB ram and I find really useful how fast it is with the SSD that comes installed. However I need to install a secondary SSD in the available slot, and I need to maximize the write speed as I’m using a software that writes files of ~30GB every time I run an analysis with it. I know that the available slot is 2X speed, and I was wondering if the 970 Evo plus SSD will be a smart purchase given that I want to keep the older SSD in the 4X speed slot (I want to maximize the OS and programs run speed). Should I buy something cheaper instead? or even at 2X speed is the 970 Evo plus SSD fast enough to justify the higher price?

Thank you.

Noel Horváth
    Participant

I think it would perform 2x slower than in nvme slot, then maybe a cheaper one should be better.I think it would run at around 1700mbps, so its better than a sata3 ssd which r/w speeds are around 500mbps.

Marco
    Participant

Hi @felince, not sure if you bought the 970 evo, but I’m planning on buying it. What you can do is place the 970 evo in the secondary M.2 slot, migrate the partitions from your primary SSD (so also the OS) to the 970 evo and then swapping them from slot. This way you have the larger SSD in the primary x4 slot and the original smaller SSD in the secondary x2 slot 😉

Hope this helps, I know I’m a little late to the party 😀

Xiaomi Notebook Pro 2018 i5 8250U MX150

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar