A gaming tablet?

A gaming tablet?

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube i7 Book A gaming tablet?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Philippe Cote
    Participant

Ok, so I’ve been looking around for a week trying to find out my dream product.. empty ended so far, maybe someone can help

I am taking the bus twice a day for work(2X45mintes) and I’ve been playing with a 3DS and PSP for a few years but I am growing tired of JRPG so I want to play Windows games on the go

So I’ve seen the new GPD win witch seem nice at first be got 2 major drawback : 1- the screen is too small, 2-there are quite a lot of techincal problem with it so far so it might not be ideal for now.

Then I’ve said : well how about a nice windows 10 tablet ? there must be plenty around these days, paired with an Ipega 9023, this will be perfect.. right? weel I am not that sure anymore.

Now I dont want to play Witcher 3 and Call if duty in High setting, but I do want a fast PC that play game like divity Original Sin or Tyranny, civilisation, gothic etc..

here is what I want/need :
    – 8 inch screen (or up to 10)
    – at least 4GB of RAM
    – 128GB SSD(could be 64GB)
    – a fast CPU (Intel Skylake seem far better then those Cherry trail one)
    – a fast GPU (Intel 515 seem the best for tablet)
    – less then 500$

So as you guess that is how I ended up here, the Cube i7 book seem like a good fit.. but the more I read the more it seem it can get quite hot when playing game.. duh!
    I will only play games on this so will I destroy it in a few months? (95+ degree seem scary…)
    Maybe these table are made to run that hot and its no big deal but still I am worried…

Is there anything else out there for me maybe?

Katagiri
    Participant

I think it should be OK if you do the thermal mod.

Philippe Cote
    Participant

yea I’ve just watch the video and that seem like a great solution.

if I can drop 10-20 degree, I dont mind the back of the device getting hot since I will be holding it with ipega controller

thanks

Yamada
    Participant

After the thermal mod, mine can drop 25 degree. (99 to 74)

When I use a fan to back around, I can play “Pillars of Eternity” at 60 degree. (little bit heavy…)

By underclocking cpu, light game like “system shock 2”,  I can do great framerate in 45-50 degree without fan.

I think i7 book is great machine.

Mario Fajardo
    Participant

Mentioning all of this since it doesn’t seem covered anywhere, and for your purposes it is relevant. One thing to consider is that after thermal modding it gets it’s back quite hot/toasty. Thermally speaking is a bad design all around for making the device slightly thinner or so are my impressions. No, you can’t cast aside this point by using that controller, since those controllers clamps are designed to be used for phones, not for +10 inch tablets. And even if it was capable of, you will not hold the tablet exclusively with the clamp. Also no dedicated USB makes it a chore to use it on the go with a smaller controller that you can reliably use on any game (specially older ones without controller support). This last point is less valid now, since Steam has Dualshock 4 support, which uses Bluetooth.

Depending on the disk requirements of what you play, you would probably want to fork the extra cash for the SSD upgrade, since 64Gb with Windows will get small for those uses (Windows itself uses almost 20Gb, hideous). You will still hit that 7W TDP power limit hard though, the SOC seems not to be designed to be hit at once with a high GPU and a CPU load at the same time. At least it prioritizes properly and throttles the least used one. That said, once you know what you are into, it can be used to game to an extent. Those games you mention seem old enough for it’s limited capabilities, and if you don’t intend to put them at high, they should work fine. For comparison, Far Cry 2 was giving me between 35 and 50 FPS low settings with some eventual dips to 25 when I was testing how far could I push the system. Don’t remember the resolution though. Depending on how long it takes for the Cube Mix Plus it may be worth waiting, but that is something I can’t say with certainty since there should not be massive improvements.

mrobi
    Participant

Cube i7 Stylus was thicker but it had same heating issues. According to Intel ~4W is maximum for  Cube I7 Book sized passively cooled tablet. So basically Cube is putting too much TDP as stock already.

Philippe Cote
    Participant

When I use a fan to back around, I can play “Pillars of Eternity” at 60 degree. (little bit heavy…)

What kind of fan are you using?

Yamada
    Participant
    Joshua
    Participant

Also looking for a good tablet. is it possible to play games like tank trouble on any tablet?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar