AC adapter doesn't work

AC adapter doesn't work

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums i7 Core M / i7 Stylus Discussion AC adapter doesn't work

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kadajawi
    Participant

So the original AC adapter lasted about… 3 months? Trying to order replacement adapters wasn’t easy, I did manage to find one locally that has the right specs and size… or so I thought. Apparently the socket in the i7 goes in really deep, and the new charger didn’t work because of that. Ordered another one from China, supposed to work… and guess what.

Is there any that does work, and is of decent quality? The original one is rather expensive IIRC, if you can even find it, and given that it wasn’t exactly high quality either I’m not willing to spend that much.

I suppose there’s a reason why branded tablets with those specs cost more. The screen is significantly better, and the charger does work. And the socket doesn’t break easily either.

Kadajawi
    Participant

I did manage to find a power supply where the cable fits, but it’s 12V with 500 mA. Obviously that’s not enough, but will it at least work to charge the battery, slowly? Or do I risk damaging it? I keep hearing it is a bad idea to charge a laptop with an undersized power supply…

fewt
    Participant

If you’re looking for a US supply, this is the one I’m using and it works GREAT with the stylus.  A lot of adapters I’ve tried have phantom touch screen effects (one finger registers 10 random locations on screen) but this one does not.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DHJLHC0

I use these adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HAVV2V2/

Kadajawi
    Participant

Oh, I haven’t even thought about the phantom touch screen effect. I’m not in the US though, but thanks a lot for the hint with the adapter. Haven’t thought about that! 5.5 x 2.1 looks like the standard size used by external HDDs? Though they are usually not powerful enough, but this size should be MUCH easier to find.

I’m starting to have the suspicion though that the adapter is fine, but the tablet is defective. I remember hearing a high pitched sound in the days prior to the defect, but thought it came from the adapter. One of the new ones adapters seems to fit in and be long enough, but still doesn’t work… nothing happens.

Reid McG
    Participant

I have tried several different adapters of differing costs (one was $45 CAD) and my conclusion has been that the tablet itself has a faulty charge port.  Which is a shame.  Though I’m not sure if its a standardized thing, I would assume that DC ports are fairly simple and therefore interchangeable, if you have the skillset.

Kadajawi
    Participant

Well, after a couple of repair shops (one of which has stolen the 128 GB microSD card in the tablet) one did manage to bring it back to live. It was the charging port. Now, a few months of mild usage later, yup, same issue. It seems like I’m not the only one, either.

I guess there is a reason why a branded tablet costs more… my Samsung Galaxy TabPro S has been running reliably for a long time now, and it’s often plugged in. I also don’t need a proprietary charger for it, any USB charger or powerbank will do (it just may not provide enough power to run and charge…). And the screen is on a different planet in terms of image quality…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar