Amazing? sadly no…Ubuntu-powered BQ Aquaris M10 tablet

Amazing? sadly no…Ubuntu-powered BQ Aquaris M10 tablet

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Amazing? sadly no…Ubuntu-powered BQ Aquaris M10 tablet

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BBaker
    Participant

BQ Aquaris M10, the first Ubuntu-powered tablet to ship, has some flaws, but the fact that it runs traditional Linux desktop apps will make many Linux users happy

10.1-in. screen, quad-core, 1.5GHz CPU, 2GB of RAM, 8MP camera. Pretty average specs.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3098324/linux/the-ubuntu-powered-bq-aquaris-m10-tablet-almost-amazing.html

The real star of this show is, without the slightest doubt, the ability to run traditional Linux desktop applications. …

Do you ever have a need for a full office suite (like LibreOffice) or a massively powerful graphics editing suite (like Gimp) while you’re on the go? If you’re like me, and the answer is yes, then you want desktop applications on your tablet.  For me, this is the Holy Grail. And, in some ways, the M10 (and Ubuntu Touch) really delivers. In other ways… not so much.

Not quite ready for daily use
    In its current state, will I use the M10 as a daily machine? Not a chance. The performance is a deal-breaker (and I love old hardware, so I’m willing to put up with a bit of lag).

If that aspect of the system can be improved through software updates, and it can be made easier to get some additional desktop applications installed (either through Snappy packages being made available or it being made simpler to “apt install” them), I won’t be able to resist.

If those problems go away—and I really hope they do—I don’t think the M10 would ever leave my side.

Honestly? For me it’s almost worth buying my own M10 simply to support the work being done and hope that over the coming months Canonical and the Ubuntu team remedy (at least in part) those few real shortcomings.

Andrew W
    Participant

Wow thats only a Cortex-A7 processor. That’s the low power architecture equivalent of the cortex-A9 that the Galaxy s3 / note 2 had.

So a quad core A7… well it would be power efficient and that’s a fairly nice battery size… but the cpu speed… oh my…

I’m so glad I went for the cube i7 book.

That skylake core-m 6y30 processor… When I run ubuntu it’s smooth.

Ubuntu with gnome or whatever fat graphical equivalent…

I mean xubuntu or Lubuntu or something lighter… That would be manageable.

BBaker
    Participant

Wow thats only a Cortex-A7 processor. That’s the low power architecture equivalent of the cortex-A9 that the Galaxy s3 / note 2 had. So a quad core A7… well it would be power efficient and that’s a fairly nice battery size… but the cpu speed… oh my… I’m so glad I went for the cube i7 book. That skylake core-m 6y30 processor… When I run ubuntu it’s smooth. Ubuntu with gnome or whatever fat graphical equivalent… I mean xubuntu or Lubuntu or something lighter… That would be manageable.

Is everything working on your Cube i7 using Ubuntu?… WiFi, Audio, touchscreen, suspend/hibernate/resume, battery?

Andrew W
    Participant

Yeah It’s incredible… wifi/ bluetooth (albeit I didn’t pair anything) audio fine. Touchscreen fine

I forget the kernel version- there have been warnings issued about kernels before 4.5 not putting skylake based cpu into proper low power states.

The battery prtedictions seemed fine 4-5 hours.

Now I was only testing. This wasn’t a full day to day use.

There’s even an on screen keyboard available which is about as good as Windows 10 one.

Look I’m impressed that Ubuntu worked this well out of the box.

A fresh Win 10 pro install is effectively unusable. – no wifi, no Blutooth, No touchscreen.

I’m procrastinating from inserting the drivers into the Windows image and trying again.

It also has a sexy BIOS.

If you get one. Just look at it… Laptops has such crap BIOSes with so few options. This has so many options (and possibilities to brick) your device. Memory timing (don’t play with that) overclocking (without a heatsink mod that’s crazy but people do the mod).

and perhaps and most importantly the ability to boot to SD/USB

HOW CRAP is the Atom platform?

Seriously such crappy BIOSes. Such difficulty in getting linux working!

I think Intel slit their own throat really.

How many people would have bought a zenphone 2 551ML if they just had an open bios.

4GB ram in a phone – geeze you COULD install windows 10 on that.

This is not the kind

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password