Anniversary update charging problem

Anniversary update charging problem

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube iWork10 Ultimate Anniversary update charging problem

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Clayton 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Chris Clayton
    Participant

An hour after posting that I found charging to be OK I was engulfed by various problems, following an unexpected Anniversary update. So far the problems (including being locked out) have been dealt with except for very, very slow charging, plus the battery rapidly fell to near zero. The computer then crashed repeatedly. I left charging on for the evening and over night, so a good few hours. It had achived 17% by this morning. One of my main battery apps in fact says 0% and history is 0 % despite reinstalling it, so presumably it is picking up a problem. But other apps and Windows all say 17%, and the OS is working.

I have noticed that charging is now not enough to stop the battery draining while Windows is running. I suppose if I leave it alone to reach 100% it might clear the problem but probably not. So advice on both short term and long term solutions will be appreciated.

Apart from this (and a damaged power adapter) my new Cube has been alright, so I have been busy re-installing my apps / programs successfully (in most cases).

Chris Clayton
    Participant

Charging to 100% seems to have cleared the problem. It has been charging OK since, I can keep it around 95% to 99% while in moderate use. My main battery app keeps reporting 0% and no charging so it is undoubtedly dud and I have uninstalled it, as its warning notices were irritating. I leave the keyboard attached and have not noticed any drain over-night, but having read about this issue I will look out for it.

Chris Clayton
    Participant

I spoke too soon. My battery does not seem to be charging at all now, even when the Cube has been shut down. At the moment it is reported as ‘18% — (plugged in, charging)’ despite not having used the machine for most of the day. So soon it will crash. I have no idea what to do. Is it likely the fault is with (a) the Cube hardware (b) the charging adapter — it is not the original one supplied as that arrived broken (and is being replaced) but another one I already had, with the same specification, and working OK until this last day (c) or could it have anything to do with the Anniversary update, which has caused various problems (d) something I have not thought of?

The charging light is blinking, as it normally does while charging, so the only way I know there is a problem is the reports from battery apps. When it drops to near zero I expect the computer to crash so I will then see if it is charging enough to eventually get it to launch again.

Any suggestions?

J
    Participant

How about when it’s running android? China tablets often suffer from battery failures unfortunately. There was done mention of type C devices being susceptible to power circuitry failure too.

Chris Clayton
    Participant

I have not tried launching Android yet, as I have only had the Cube for a week, and am fully occupied with charging plus issues related to the Anniversary update, which arrived without warning soon after the computer arrived.

However, I am happy to report that I seem to have resolved the charging problem (at present). I tried using the original charger again and it worked.  It had been delivered badly damaged (a replacement is on its way), so I was wary of a possible safety risk and have been using a another charger with the same specifications which worked for a while, then stopped.

With the damaged charger I am now getting a 99% charge, held over night. A friend who is familiar with electrical work advised me not to be concerned about the perceived safety risk.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password