Any positive reviews of the LapBook 14.1?

Any positive reviews of the LapBook 14.1?

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi LapBook Series Any positive reviews of the LapBook 14.1?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Norg
    Participant

Hi,

I currently have a first gen. Chuwi Hi10 (single boot) and it is working fine. I am just looking to upgrade to something with a bigger screen/cpu.

I’ve watched the reviews on YouTube and read a few reviews here, but most of the posts on here are for support (which is understandable).

So, question. Does anyone have any positive reviews of the Lapbook 14.1 (without doing the heat sink mod)? (I’m not looking to game, just internet browsing and office programs. I would rather it didn’t shut down while writing a report though).

I don’t know if I’m comfortable enough doing the heat sink mod, but I think I could do the hard drive upgrade.

It’s going for about $217usd on Taobao at the moment, which ins’t a bad price.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ernst
    Participant

Have you heard of this new thing called Google? It is great!

Try it out! Just type “Chuwi Lapbook 14.1” in that white box that appears when you go to http://www.google.com.

Or – from the same company – try that phrase on a site called “YouTube”. Lots of reviews! With pictures!

And all of these are positive! Great!

🙂

ezbook user
    Participant

I’ve been using the device for about a month. I did a minimalist archlinux installation and getting a pretty good performance (4300 geekbench multi-core). I keep this device at home for web browsing, watching youtube and whatnot, and it does the job well. The screen is 1080p which is very good for the price (I paid 205Euros).

I have three major complaints. One, when I type, I get these random clicks from the touchpad even if my palm does not contact the trackpad. It is very annoying as it moves the cursor out of focus, and I need to click again to refocus the cursor and keep typing. This might be due to that I removed the metal bar inside, which I suppose was giving some rigidity to the touchpad region and preventing these random clicks (which happens due to pressure when typing I believe). Second, keyboard is not the best. Key travel is very good compared with other laptops, but it keeps skipping many keys when typing (particularly the h key). Another issue is that I could not get the HDMI out working the other day. I purchased a mini hdmi to hdmi adapter, but could not get any output. This might be due to using Linux, or defective hdmi adapter, I am not sure. Finally, when I put laptop to sleep, it loses charge very rapidly (about %30 of battery in 10 hours). Not sure what the heck is going on.

All in all, for 200 you cannot get anything better. Good performing machine.

Norg
    Participant

@ernstoud I suppose, I should have made my question more specific so it wasn’t open to troll bait.

@ezbookuser
    Thanks for the reply. I don’t know if its an option for you but, you could try and disable the touchpad and use an external mouse.

My question to be more specific:

What I was actually wondering as mentioned in my question is, is the overheating a big issue that it is happening even during browser and office program use?

Thanks again

ezbook user
    Participant

I am using Linux so disabling touchpad was somewhat tricky (not supported b Gnome by default). Nevertheless, I managed to write a basic shell script that disables it when I need it. I am using it with an external mouse anyways, so this does not cause any problems. Typing is a better experience now, but still not ideal, as some keys still get skipped when typing very fast.

Regarding the heating, there is some indeed if you push the laptop hard for a long time. In normal use it is very cool (browsing web, watching youtube, etc.) I can say from my usage that this does not seem to cause any thermal throttling. I did not game though, pushing GPU at the same time might cause some thermal throttling.

I will probably be doing the heat mod that Chris suggested at some point. I ordered the parts except the thermal paste. Just waiting for a timeframe where I will be more available for such geeky stuff :D.

All in all, I am very happy to have a full-blown Linux machine with acceptable performance for 200E. I should also indicate that my battery lasts for about 9 hours on a mix of streaming youtube an browsing web. I haven’t done any of the battery optimizations suggested on Linux; so it is really impressive despite that.

ezbook user
    Participant

Regarding the battery discharge issue I mentioned, the other day I left the laptop unplugged in sleep mode overnight. There was no significant loss of charge. I don’t know what changed.

Brad
    Participant

Regarding the battery discharge issue I mentioned, the other day I left the laptop unplugged in sleep mode overnight. There was no significant loss of charge. I don’t know what changed.

That’s good to know.  Wake from Hybernate and Sleep modes not working on Linux is a common problem with devices. Eg., I’ve yet to find any Linux distro where that works on my Lenovo G50 notebook. It’s prob a BIOS compatability issue.

Barley Escapes
    Participant

Hi, I have the 14.1 it is good apart from having only 4500mAhr battery capacity not 9000mAhr as advertised.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar