Anyone upgraded the SSD?

Anyone upgraded the SSD?

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Thinker Anyone upgraded the SSD?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alex
    Participant

Has anyone successfully upgraded the SSD? Is it SATA3 or does it take faster storage like NVMe?

What type of SSD does it take?

Thanks.

Patrick
    Participant

I’ve been considering it, but not done so far. The device manager says its SATA so not NVMe. Albeit being SATA in the M.2 form factor. It appears the maximum upgrade currently is 2TB in this form factor, which would be a nice size for the i35. But it does cost almost 40-50% of the full cost of the machine itself. 🙂

Of course if you do decide to upgrade it. Make sure you clone the new drive in full including the hidden partitions containing the OS provided by the i35. I’ve managed to extract those hidden partitions to put separately onto a thumb drive in case of a catastrophic drive failure. In theory this should allow me to recover the i35 setup and OS to a new drive. But I would probably recommend cloning wherever possible as it’s a faster and more efficient way to upgrade the SSD drive.

Brad
    Participant

I’m trying to help a friend who is having trouble upgrading M.2 SSD in his i35.  He bought the WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD but it’s not being recognized.  Basically all he did was create a Windows USB install/boot drive and replaced his existing SSD with the WD SSD.  Is there some setting in the BIOS that needs to be changed?  (eg. change boot drive setting from RAID to AHCI) or something like that?   I cannot find anyone who has upgraded the SSD and what the installation procedure is.
    Or if it’s just something strange and specific to the WD Blue SSD?  Ie, other drives like Samsung, Crucial, etc. are recognized fine out of the box?

Alex
    Participant

It has to be a SATA3 M.2 The WD Blue comes in both SATA and NVMe versions, so maybe your friend got the Nvme version.

Pilef
    Participant

I upgraded my Thinker with the following SSD : Crucial CT525MX300SSD4 SSD interne MX300 (525Go, 3D NAND, SATA, M.2 (2280)

I can’t post a link to amazon 🙁

Alex
    Participant

How do you clone the drive including hidden files?

Nerekan
    Participant

6 months ago I upgraded ssd to SSD WD Blue SSD 3D NAND M.2 2280 WDS500G2B0B (500Gb), no problem, I recommend

I used Acrinis True Image for full drive cloning  (win10pro)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    shrkn
    Participant

A year ago, I installed this one instead of a regular SSD – 1000 GB SSD M.2 drive WD Blue [WDS100T2B0B]. It works perfectly, there are no problems.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar