Are chinese computers trustworthy?

Are chinese computers trustworthy?

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Are chinese computers trustworthy?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    windows+android=love
    Participant

Not to be stereotypical or offensive

but there has been many cases (lenovo and xiaomi) in which Chinese computer companies were caught selling computers with spywares and backdoor installed

I am quite concerned due to this

Do you guys think chinese companies mainly discussed here such as chuwi onda cube etc… are trustworthy?

Or do you guys think it may be a risk I need to take for trying to buy a tablet at an incredible cheap price?

Thanks!

Andrew W
    Participant

That’s a very interesting question.

I don’t think it is offensive at all. I mean this is not mere paranoia, when Lenovo has been caught THREE times doing this.

Now It’s THREE Pre-Installed Malwares on Lenovo Laptops

One of these times WAS BIOS based malware.

Now I use a Cube i7 Book.

This has an American Megatrends Bios… So do I trust them? Yeah probably. But has cube customised this in someway? I don’t know how BIOSes are sold to manufacturers

Its a more accessible bios than the crappy locked down stuff that Atom based devices have.

I mean the Cube has a cool bios. I can install any x86/x64 (UEFI) operating system on my device. Ubuntu boots and works perfect from SD card.

So many possible settings (and ways to potentially brick) the device in the BIOS.

Do I trust it?

Probably… I mean if the devices aren’t filled with a bunch of bloatware – Think about almost every laptop on the market from a major manufacturer!

Do these smaller Chinese companies really have the programmers and coders to secretly put code somewhere you can’t see it?

I doubt it.

Marcel
    Participant

You should trust them as much as other companies, with caution.

ScutMonkey
    Participant

I haven’t seen anyone complain about this sort of thing around here, but I am nervous and skeptical about it too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar