ATTENTION: Bricked Tablets after Windows Driver Updates

ATTENTION: Bricked Tablets after Windows Driver Updates

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi12 Forum ATTENTION: Bricked Tablets after Windows Driver Updates

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    WRH
    Participant

Chuwi and TecLast have both issued a faulty driver which writes corrupt firmware into the secure boot ROM , thereby bricking their (your) tablets. The Only way to recover from this is by opening up the device and using an external EPROM programmer .See my notes here.

http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-1503-1-1.html

and Bill Christansen’ Tutorial here.

Thanks Bill Christiansen

http://techtablets.com/forum/top … bios-update/page/3/

Those of you that still have working tablets, heed this warning.
    It’s been confirmed that some HI-12, Hi-10 and HiBook users are reporting dead , bricked devices after Windows driver updates.  

Until there is a solution or confirmation from Chuwi that this is no longer a problem, It is necessary that everyone disable automatic driver updates in Windows 10 and definitely do not use Windows device manger to update drivers in the “firmware” section. Drivers in this section modify secure boot code.

Read this for the method to do this. Its quite easy.
    NOTE: This is not the same as postponing Windows Updates,  I don’t recommend stopping all windows updates, just drivers. And you won’t see additional 3 options in Windows 10, its just Yes or NO

http://www.microcentertech.com/tech_center/DB/read_article.php?faqid=./HowTos/HOW5006661B.htm

PMS Souza
    Participant

Thank you man! I’ll definitely do it 🙂

Mickey Y
    Participant

There is a “BIOS Write protection” switch in the BIOS setting, under Chip-> South Bridge, I think setting it to Enable should be efficient to protect BIOS from being overwritten.

Karhu
    Participant

I have a dual boot and restarted today, all good. Checked hidden updates using the tool, none showing. Turned off device updates to be safe, but wondering why mine has not tried to update by now.

Ramon
    Participant

I suppose you checked the “Hide updates” option, where you can see the “pending but not hidden updates”, and you didn’t see any “pending” update. It is here where you must enter first to see the pending updates and to mark them as “Hidden” (“to be hidden”) in order that the operating system does no automatically update them.

If you check “Hidden updates”, you only see the updates you have previously hidden.

Paolo
    Participant

Confirmed on my dead Teclast Tbook 10 – wish I read this before it bricked: it has no accessible screws. Thanks anyway: I’m waiting for a Chuwi HiBook and I’m warned now (plus, this will help me get a refund!)

WRH
    Participant

Warning !
    The Chuwi HiBook has the exact same problem, because they share a common driver.
    When you get it immediately turn off automatic driver updates.
    Offending driver is TecLast firmware 3.04 which is used by both companies.

Sebastian
    Participant
    WRH
    Participant

This method will not protect you because it is used after the fact. Once your tablet installs this update which it can automatically , you will be bricked and unable to “uninstall” the driver.
    Do wha tI said as preventive action turn off DISABLE automatic driver updates in system settings.

randula
    Participant

can please someone confirm if this is the harmful update? “• Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421).”

thanks.

Ramon
    Participant

Windows cumulative updates are not harmful and you can install them with no problem

The (only by the moment) harmful one is “Teclast firmware 3.04” (I don’t know if this is the exact name of the update package because I am in another computer, but sure it is the only that has the Teclast name on it, and sure that somewhere it is version 3.04).

So you could install any update except those that have the “Teclast” name on it.

alessandro
    Participant

Killer update changed name…
    It is now teclast – other hardware – teclast system firmware 3.08.
    Previously was same but 3.04…
    Does it mean that something was solved or what else?

WRH
    Participant

WHo knows? Shamefully, neither TecLast nor Chuwi has even acknowledge that they release a driver which bricked their tablets. SO there will be no news from the companies. Someone will have to try it to see if its safe.

alessandro
    Participant

wow… something happened…

chuwi forum admin, Emily, just wrote that:

Hello, Chuwi has already let Microsoft to talk with Teclast, hope Teclast can cancel the update of the Teclast Firmware system. I hope that everyone can disable to update automatically before solving thoroughly this issue to avioding brick your tablet. If there is more news, i will tell you.

randula
    Participant

http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-1683-1-1.html

They claim telcast driver update has been canceled.

Could someone verify this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar