Battery charging / wear

Battery charging / wear

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi LapBook Series Battery charging / wear

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Matej Dian
    Participant

Hello,

does anyone have experience with long term use and battery wear on similar devices (Cherry Trail and newer laptops from china)?

How does charging affect it? I remmeber with e.g. Lenovo T61 (2006, removable battery) there was issue if the laptop was most of the time connected to adapter with battery connected. Battery life went from aprox 2 hours down to 10-15 minues after about year of using it mentioned way. Solution was to run it on AC without battery, and do at least one discharge/charge cycle a week or two. Since current devices don’t have removable battery, is the power delivery IC smart enough so such issue won’t happen? What is better for longetivity of battery, keeping it on AC or run from battery and charge when needed? (i think keeping it on AC should be better if it’s implemented properly but i have no information whether that’s the case with these budget devices)

Flossy
    Participant

I don’t own a chuwi but i do have a bayTrail laptop by i-Life. I bought it for 130$. The way that they implemented the charging is horrible. The charging port is right next to the soc, so, when it charges it heats up the soc as well resulting in heavy throttling up to 0.3 ghz and the right side of the laptop gets so hot to the point where it’s untouchable.

If you’re going to get a laptop, make sure the charging port is on the opposite side of the SoC / CPU.

I personally try my best not to use the laptop while charging since the adapter isn’t strong enough to handle charging and usage at the same time (12V, 2A).

And after exactly owning my laptop for a year, battery has degraded by about 9% (I do charge this everyday) and it’s still enough to last a full day’s work (capacity is around 35 Wh and degraded to 31 Wh)

Good luck on your next purchase

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar