Bootable ISOs bootable??

Bootable ISOs bootable??

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi8 Discussion Bootable ISOs bootable??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Quack Duck
    Participant

Hi,
    Before I buy this tablet,I just wanted to know,
    ‘are Bootable ISOs bootable on this tablet’?
    Like, live USBs of linux works or not?
    Thanks ūüėÄ

John
    Participant

Yes, as a test I was able to run the Parted Magic ISO. However, I also needed a USB hub to plug a USB keyboard, USB Mouse and USB stick with the bootable ISO as there was no touch screen (and no WiFi) support by default for this particular ISO – maybe other Linux ISOs will have this or can be modded to have the right drivers. I was also hoping I could have the ISO on a bootable SD card but the Hi8 could not seem to see it as a bootable option.

John
    Participant

UPDATE:  So far I have only been able to get a Parted Magic live CD to boot from a USB. I tried some other live Linux CDs РUbuntu, Xubuntu, Mint,  Fedora & OpenSUS with no success.

At first I could not get the Hi8 to even recognize the USB. I found this article:¬†<span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>http://liliputing.com/2014/10/run-ubuntu-zotac-zbox-pico-mini-pc-kinda.html ¬† The article explains that although the B</span><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>ay Trail CPUs suppor</span><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>t 64 bit OS, ¬†some¬†</span><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>Tablet Firmware only allows 32bit UEFI operating systems. The problem is most Linux Distributions only provide UEFI in the 64 bit version. I used the work around suggested and at least the USB could then be seen by the Hi8 as a valid UEFI boot device. However I still had problems getting any of the Linux Distros I tried to run as a live CD. I only got the Parted Magic to boot in both 64 bit an 32 bit versions only (they are both included in the same iso and you get to choose which one you want to run from its own boot menu). ¬†</span>

Hopefully someone with better Linux Skills can figure it out or find a Linux Distro that will run.

John
    Participant

UPDATE: ¬†So far I have only been able to get a Parted Magic live CD to boot from a USB. I tried some other live Linux CDs ‚Äď Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint, ¬†Fedora & OpenSUS with no success.

At first I could not get the Hi8 to even recognize the USB. I found this article:¬†<span style=”color: #f84103;”>http://liliputing.com/2014/10/run-ubuntu-zotac-zbox-pico-mini-pc-kinda.html</span&gt; ¬† The article explains that although the Bay Trail CPUs support 64 bit OS, ¬†some¬†Tablet Firmware only allows 32bit UEFI operating systems. The problem is most Linux Distributions only provide UEFI in the 64 bit version. I used the work around suggested and at least the USB could then be seen by the Hi8 as a valid UEFI boot device. However I still had problems getting any of the Linux Distros I tried to run as a live CD. I only got the Parted Magic to boot in both 64 bit an 32 bit versions only (they are both included in the same iso and you get to choose which one you want to run from its own boot menu).

Hopefully someone with better Linux Skills can figure it out or find a Linux Distro that will run.

NOTE: I have posted again to clarify, as my previous post had some unintentional and confusing formatting code in it.

John
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>UPDATE: ¬†So far I have only been able to get a Parted Magic live CD to boot from a USB. I tried some other live Linux CDs ‚Äď Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint, ¬†Fedora & OpenSUS with no success.</p>

At first I could not get the Hi8 to even recognize the USB. I found this article:¬†<span style=”color: #f84103;”>http://liliputing.com/2014/10/run-ubuntu-zotac-zbox-pico-mini-pc-kinda.html</span&gt; ¬† The article explains that although the Bay Trail CPUs support 64 bit OS, ¬†some¬†Tablet Firmware only allows 32bit UEFI operating systems. The problem is most Linux Distributions only provide UEFI in the 64 bit version. I used the work around suggested and at least the USB could then be seen by the Hi8 as a valid UEFI boot device. However I still had problems getting any of the Linux Distros I tried to run as a live CD. I only got the Parted Magic to boot in both 64 bit an 32 bit versions only (they are both included in the same iso and you get to choose which one you want to run from its own boot menu).

NOTE: I have posted again to clarify, as my previous post had some unintentional and confusing formatting code in it.

Quack Duck
    Participant

Thanks a lot ūüėÄ
    Thats very helpful.
    I guess i gotta do more research on booting things up before it arrives.

Jay
    Participant

(Possible double-post as TT has eaten my first after editing it)

Hi folks, posting this in case it helps anyone in future with a Chuwi Hi8…

If you’re having problems booting Parted Magic in future you’ll need to do the following;

1. Get hold of a Parted Magic image – I’m testing with the latest release as of this post (pmagic_2020_05_20.iso)
    2. Write the ISO to a known-good USB stick with Rufus (I’m using v2.5) in DD Mode rather than ISO mode
    3. Make sure your Hi8 is fully charged
    4. Connect the USB stick, a keyboard and a mouse to a USB hub and then the hub to the USB port on the Hi8 using an OTG cable
    5. Turn on the Hi8 and press ESC when prompted and when the GUI appears select Boot Manager
    6. Select the¬†EFI USB Device… option (oddly mine mentions it’s a Gigabit Ethernet Controller)(¬Ļ)
    7. Chances are you will then get a¬†GRUB> prompt (if you didn’t and it boots immediately, consider yourself lucky!), type in the following to boot;

linux (hd0)/pmagic/bzImage
    initrd (hd0)/pmagic/initrd.img (hd0)/pmagic/fu.img (hd0)/pmagic/m32.img
    boot

When typing the above paths you can tab-autocomplete but make sure you select the correct files (²).

Hopefully by this point Parted Magic should boot, enjoy!

Notes:

1. If you are unable to see the EFI USB Device… option in the Boot Manager, go through the SCU / BIOS options and disable Secure Boot enforcement.
    2. You may need to change (hd0) to match where the USB stick is mounted, you can find this by using ls (hd1)/pmagic and increase the number until you see a list of files such as bzImage, fu.img, initrd.img etc.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password