Bricked hi8 air after messing with bios

Bricked hi8 air after messing with bios

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi8 Discussion Bricked hi8 air after messing with bios

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ozan
    Participant

Hi there,

I probably bricked my Hi8 air. I followed a tutorial about making a Atom powered device faster. After choosing a different speed for the ram and exiting for reboot, it wont go on at all now. Is it still possible to flash it manually? Or is this goodbye 🙁 (sorry for my bad english)

Olly
    Participant

Hi @ozan

Usually these tablets do not have a typical ‘BIOS battery’ and just use the main system battery. If you’re brave enough to open up the tablet and unplug the battery for a little while, it should reset the BIOS settings to default.

In most cases leaving the battery connector unplugged for just 60 seconds does the trick. Make sure you hit the power button a few times after it’s unplugged to train the capacitors, then plug back in again and try to boot up.

Best of luck!

Ozan
    Participant

Hi @Olly,

Thnx for your reaction. I have already tried this. I unplugged the battery for a few days hoping it will reset on its own. Unfortunally it didnt. I also put it on the charger afterwards for a day but also noting. I also opened the metal housing around the processor (hoping to find a bios battery) but like u said, there isnt one.

I have ordered a 8 pin flash chip with a 1.8v adapter. But what i do after i get them is still little bit a clue for me. I hope i get it fixed. I like the 8 inch windows tablet.

Olly
    Participant

@ozan That’s not good. If there’s definitely no CMOS battery, and you’ve left the main battery out for days, then it’s seemingly a hardware issue. Even though we’ve gone to “advanced” UEFI BIOSes they still have no way to self-retain settings without third party power, so I think you’ve done some damage with the changes you last saved.

Usually the BIOS chips are soldered to the boards in tablets and smaller laptops since space is of the essence. Are you sure you can remove it? And even if so, where will you get a clean BIOS file from? Sounds like a good experiment for sure and you’ve got nothing to lose I suppose 🙂

Ozan
    Participant

@Olly, yes it is not good for my little tablet pc. Also the red LED doest turn on while while charging it.

I could try to replace the BIOS chip. Only thing is, I have no clue if it comes with pre installed BIOS settings. Would it work if I have replaced the chip?

But if i understand correctly, you are saying that the flasing tool would not not help because there is no power on the tablet?

Thnx again for your reply.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar