Can't boot from USB to install Windows 10 on ssd

Can't boot from USB to install Windows 10 on ssd

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Can't boot from USB to install Windows 10 on ssd

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kyprianos 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Kyprianos
    Participant

Dear all,

I have ordered a m2 2242 ssd for my Ezbook 3 Pro which arrived today. I have opened the case, installed and partitioned the ssd using the Windows 10 installation on the eemc. Now I would like Windows 10 installed on the ssd, so I have prepared a usb drive with a Windows 10 x64 home edition iso using Rufus.

The problem is the bios cant seem to recognize the usb drive upon boot. I press the ‘del’ key when booting but under the boot menu I only get ‘Windows Boot Manager’ option and no option to boot from usb.

I have tried two different 32gb usb flash drives both prepared with Rufus.

edit: I have now discovered that although all usb drives are detected in the bios under the ‘usb configuration’ option they dont appear in the boot menu, so no way to boot from them. Same for the ssd (kingspec 2242 m2 ssd) it’s detected in the sata port in the bios but no option to boot from it too. I have also discovered that by pressing F7 while booting you get the boot option menu.

Please advise, thanks in advance.

George G
    Participant

Why not just clone the eMMC to the SSD with one of the free programs (EaseUS, Aomei Backupper, or Macrium Reflect)?

No USB stick is needed, although you might want to make a backup.

I used Macrium Reflect free v6. Took me about 30 minutes. Just make sure you select the correct boot manager when changing the boot order in the UEFI/BIOS.

Kyprianos
    Participant

Dear George,

Thanks for your help. About to try Macrium too and I hope all goes well. If I install a Windows partition on the ssd, will it appear in the bios boot option? Because now there’s only one boot manager in the bios boot option, ie. the one from the emmc.

Also maybe you have any idea why the bios wont let me boot from the usb flash drive although this is recognized by the bios? Up to now I have tried 4 different flash drives either prepared with Rufus and/or the Microsoft tool. Maybe the bios has an option to prevent booting from a usb flash drive?

Thanks once more for your help! 🙂

George G
    Participant

Hi Kyprianos,

Not sure why your method is not working, but I can tell you that cloning with Macrium will work, assuming that your SSD works.

In Macrium free, you simply drag all the partitions one by one from the source drive to the target drive. You will resize the Windows partition (C:) as you go by clicking the “Partition properties” link under the graphical interface. Remember to leave some room for the last recovery partition, which I resized to 1 GB just to be safe.

After cloning is complete, go to Windows Disk management built into Windows 10. Make sure that the second cloned drive shows.

Then boot into the UEFI/BIOS. You should see two boot managers listed there. Simply select the boot manager that corresponds to your SSD (press “enter” to determine which one) and set it to the first boot position 1. Save and exit.

Reboot and check that your SSD is now C: drive. The eMMC should show as D: drive. I did not wipe the eMMC and left it as a backup.

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it goes.

Kyprianos
    Participant

Dear George,

Thanks very much, using your help I was able to clone the emmc to the ssd and I can boot from the ssd now as the relevant option appears in the bios. I am still puzzled as to why I cannot boot from a usb flash drive prepared with rufus and with windows 10 iso.

Also I have been in contact through Ali Express with the official Jumper support and they initially advised me not to (!) install an ssd as it is not officially recommended by them and can lead to malfunction of the laptop if the os boots from the ssd.

For your interest we have exactly the same ssd the kingspan NT model with the only difference that mine is the 256 gb model.

The only annoying and potentially non repairable issue I still have is that since I got the laptop I have been having problems with the wifi speeds dipping to zero and sometimes not working at all. I have removed, reinstalled and updated the driver but the problem still persists. I suspect it could be from a badly placed antenna at the back of the case since this is mentioned on another topic here in the forum. I can see the antenna cable being bent to be hidden at the back of the case. I have also posted this on another topic.

Eventually I may have to send the laptop back to be repaired under warranty which is only 6 months. I have also found that the black plasti cover inside the case if being bent up on my model and also the copper ribbon is held by a duct tape which has already started to peel off. I am including the pic which shows the poor workmanship.

Thanks so much for your help once more and let me know if I can be of any help too.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

George G
    Participant

Glad to see it worked. From the photo, I assume that you have v3 without the new M.2 hatch, and that you have the dual band AC wifi.

I have v4.

I read your wifi post and since it works with the case off, it appears that you might have a short somewhere. I would thoroughly check the antenna wires wherever possible. That flap sticking up doesn’t look right either. Is that part of the copper heat sink? If so, I would remove the whole heat sink to investigate why it is sticking up. That might part of the problem. The plastic window in the hinge should be allowing the wifi signal to filter through, case on or off. Does the signal die suddenly when you put the case back on gradually and don’t install the case screws?

I think that Jumper doesn’t endorse the OS on the SSD because of the complication involved in installing it. But of course, we know better.

Kyprianos
    Participant

Hello again George,

You’re right mine is the v3 one without the ssd hatch but the dual ac wifi. I actually have an update on the wifi performance as today I have used the laptop with the case off. So it seems that even with the case removed, the wifi signal is still bad and virtually non existent. It works for 1 minute after the laptop wakes from sleep or reboots but after that I get no wifi signal at all..

As I previously said I have removed and reinstalled 4-5 times the intel ac 3615 wifi driver from device manager and even downloaded the drivers again from the official Intel site. However, the problem still persists.

I suspect it’s something other than a software issue, but I am afraid to mess with the wifi cables as it could void the warranty. I have already contacted Jumper they will talk to their engineers and get back to me. As for the bent plate which I believe is the heatsink and the peeled off tape I think these are clearly signs of poor assembly.

George G
    Participant

Could it be a power setting? You said it works for a minute after wake. Did you try changing the sleep settings? Are both bands affected, N and AC?

Kyprianos
    Participant

Dear George,

I don’t think its a power setting, I have disabled sleep mode for the wifi card and set it to max speed. The wifi behaves the same ie. it works for 1-2 mins and then cuts off. Pity because otherwise the laptop works ok.

I have been in talks with Jumper and today they replied saying I can send the laptop back for inspection and possible repair. I’ll see if I can get it swapped for a v4 one although I think this will be highly unlikely. However I will ask them if they can do it.

sipart
    Participant

@kyprianos – use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 and create a USB stick with that – if the laptop won’t boot from that then you must have some BIOS setting issue (I assume the USB works fine in Windows).

Use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to Create Installation Media or Upgrade PC

Cheers

Kyprianos
    Participant

Dear Sipart,

Thanks for offering to help. I have created an ISO with the Windows Media Creation Tool, unfortunately it is not recognized during boot although it works ok under Windows 10. So it must be some other bios setting which unfortunately I cannot find.

Anyway I have now sent my Jumper back for possible fixing and/or refund due to some serious wifi problems.

Thanks once more for your help.

sipart
    Participant

Hi just to be clear did you create an ISO then write it to usb using Rufus or use the option to create the usb stick in the creation tool?

Cheers

Kyprianos
    Participant

Hello Sipart,

I used the 1st method, ie downloaded iso with media tool then used rufus to prepare.

Anyway not of importance now I sent the laptop back to Jumper due to wifi problems and expecting a refund.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password