Chrom(ium) OS

Chrom(ium) OS

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums Teclast F6 Pro Chrom(ium) OS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Wizzard
    Participant

Have anybody tried some Chrome / Chromium OS? I tried CloudReady running from USB, but it randomly hangs/freezes for a few seconds/minutes.

Also tried some https://arnoldthebat.co.uk/ builds, but those even does not boot from USB. Just Caps Lock LED is blinking while the display is black.

Wizzard
    Participant

This guide works for installing original Chrome OS, just the touchpad is not yet supported.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/chromebooks/guide-installing-official-chrome-os-pc-t3865697

Madhias
    Participant

I tried Cloudready aswell but without Touchpad it is hardly usable.
    Since Chrome OS is Linux based, isn’t there a way to use the drivers used for Ubuntu where they got the Touchpad to work in another thread?
    If Touchscreen/Touchpad/Fingerprint/Tablet Mode Detection work, I might dump Windows or at least Dual Boot both.

Madhias
    Participant

I just tried FydeOS and it works better than CloudReady. Touchscreen and even Stylus work, however the Touchpad still doesn’t work even though you can try out a variety of touchpad drivers when setting up the system. Otherwise it is pretty much usable except for some smaller things

Wizzard
    Participant

I still think that FydeOS is good, but ChromeOS is better, cause it is cleaner and does not contain unknown things like FydeOS does. I think that touchpad will not be supported until ChromeOS switch to kernel 4.19 or 5.0.

Madhias
    Participant

Cloudready 75 uses Kernel 4.19 LTS. I tried it but the Touchpad still doesn’t work.

Madhias
    Participant

Good news: Cloudready v76.4 has working touchpad, including two finger gestures such as scrolling and pinch to zoom. However the touchscreen doesn’t work.

Madhias
    Participant

Fyde OS 8.0 supports Touchpad and Touchscreen. And is dual bootable and compatible with project croissant. So with this build it is finally suitable for daily use.

Wizzard
    Participant

You are right, it works with FydeOS 8 as a base, but it freezes frequently. Does it run fine on your computer?

Madhias
    Participant

I only had freezes when booting from USB. After installing it ony my SSD as a dual boot via Project Croissant, there were no freezes or other problems like that. I think the USB speed is too slow for the system to run smoothly.

Wizzard
    Participant

I run it from my SSD with multiboot, I have a plenty of other OS. Maybe I should try to use Cloudready instead.

btw, have you used also different image or swtpm?

Madhias
    Participant

I used the swtpm file and the official recovery image eve (because there are pixelbooks using the same m3 processor). Also I am booting from rEFIned. I followed this tutorial after creating the image the normal way: https://github.com/imperador/chromefy/blob/master/lab/DualBoot.md

Wizzard
    Participant

Ok, btw, are you using Google Play and Android apps? My problem is, that rather instead of freezing, the display just goes black with only mouse pointer remaining.

Madhias
    Participant

Yes I am, and no problems whatsoever. No idea why you are having these problems…

Wizzard
    Participant

There is new version of ATB, version 78, which also supports touchpad and touchscreen, but it also freezes, even with new clean installation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar