Chuwi Hi10 Cannot Power Potentially Solved

Chuwi Hi10 Cannot Power Potentially Solved

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi10 Discussion Chuwi Hi10 Cannot Power Potentially Solved

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Participant

Credits @ kravmama1 : Post http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/potential-solutions-to-some-hi10-issues/

Background: My Hi10 Does not have charging light , Can power up devices by USB, Similar to video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd79w_wTln4

Before that , my charger was left charging with a xiaomi charger , sold in singapore (UK PLUG), Did not do absolutely anything for about 1-2 days , but it was warm so i guess it was still charging. Also , the tablet when turned on was Fully Charged…

What I Did Roughly in sequence :
    Step 1 : Hold power and Volume Button for 15 seconds ( By kravmama1)
    Step 2 :Disconnect keyboard and all other devices including power cord. Hold power button for 2 minutes, release 30 sec, then press power button again for 5-10 seconds. ( BY kravmama1)
    Step 3 : Vaguely remember hit random button either Power + Volume Down or both, it suddenly powers up

I cannot confirm it will work for all cases , but at least it works for mine , just thought i shared it with you guys , If you have manage to got it resolved~ do post your sequence of steps that you took!

Will update the steps if others have found new ways to power it up! So do post it!

kravmama1
    Participant

Hi Ben. After researching this issue further, I think that what happened in your situation was that your tablet was stuck in sleep mode and couldn’t wake up. All your button pushes likely caused a forced shutdown/reboot. For those with a charged battery and who can’t get it to wake up/ reboot, you can force a shut down by draining the battery  (attach a power consuming device or leave device unconnected to power for several days). After draining battery, recharge via trickle charge for 2 hours connected to computer USB port, then wall charge for 5 hours. Then try to power on the tablet.

It is thought to be a display driver issue specifically with sleep mode. I have linked a website to where this is discussed in the thread cited above. To prevent recurrence after fix, I would suggest either update display driver, if possible; exit all programs prior to sleep (especially graphic/media); or shut down tablet after use instead of sleep.

If there is no charge in the battery, and the battery won’t charge when connected to a power supply, then it is probably a hardware issue/defective tablet.

kravmama1
    Participant

The same problem is now being discussed in the Hi12 forum. I’m now convinced that for most people it is a Windows incompatibility issue with the display driver brought on by a Windows automatic update.

Ben
    Participant

Hmm, actually during the time it died I did complete battery drain as well… by connecting a powerbank .

Also because it will stop charging powerbank after a certain level , I connected my led keyboard to completely drain off the battery untill the Keyboard turn off completely

Lasslax
    Participant

Sorry, I did believe I speak and understand English well, but I just don’t get what you are saying “recharge via trickle charge for 2 hours connected to computer USB port, then wall charge for 5 hours”

What is “trickle charge”?

Which USB port?

Isn’t the above “wall charge”? If so explain please the difference

Thx

kravmama1
    Participant

Sorry. I may be using wrong words. Sometimes when battery is completely empty, it cannot charge via at high rate via wall charger. Try charging at low rate by connecting the tablet to the USB port of a computer or a low amp (1-1.5amp) cell phone charger for a few hours. Then finish charging using the tablet’s original wall charger. Do not attempt to restart the tablet until it has recharged for several hours.

I hope this works for you.

Lasslax
    Participant

Thank you,

by the time I found the answer abot this “trickle charging” on an other thread :-)))

Didn’t have the problem yet, but just wanted to know how to handle it if it happens.

Thanks again!

kravmama1
    Participant

On hi12 forums, one person was able to get out of black screen on a charged tablet by connecting external keyboard and pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL

kravmama1
    Participant

OK. After all my warnings that going into  sleep state can trigger the black screen problem, I managed to cause the black screen on my tablet by pushing a hotkey on my wireless keyboard that triggered sleep and sent it into a coma. Given all my research, I didn’t panic. I tried pressing CTL+ALT+DEL a couple of times, then long press power button followed by short press. Then tried ESC key and  other random keys on the keyboard. Tried power+ volume up button. I connected to charger and no LED light. I removed the charger and connected a USB keyboard and pressed CTL+ALT+DEL a couple times, then long press on the power button for at least 30 seconds. Reconnected charger and LED charging light was blinking. Pressed power button and also power+volume up , don’t remember which first. Tablet started to boot with Chuwi logo then went to black screen. LED charging light still blinking. Did more research and read that sometimes Windows 10 will cause lockscreen to be black on startup. Solution: press CTRL then enter your PIN/password. After doing that, I long press power to shut down, then short press to start up. Tablet booted up and working normal again. From now on, will avoid putting tablet in sleep mode.

Ciro
    Participant

OK. After all my warnings that going into sleep state can trigger the black screen problem, I managed to cause the black screen on my tablet by pushing a hotkey on my wireless keyboard that triggered sleep and sent it into a coma. Given all my research, I didn’t panic. I tried pressing CTL+ALT+DEL a couple of times, then long press power button followed by short press. Then tried ESC key and other random keys on the keyboard. Tried power+ volume up button. I connected to charger and no LED light. I removed the charger and connected a USB keyboard and pressed CTL+ALT+DEL a couple times, then long press on the power button for at least 30 seconds. Reconnected charger and LED charging light was blinking. Pressed power button and also power+volume up , don’t remember which first. Tablet started to boot with Chuwi logo then went to black screen. LED charging light still blinking. Did more research and read that sometimes Windows 10 will cause lockscreen to be black on startup. Solution: press CTRL then enter your PIN/password. After doing that, I long press power to shut down, then short press to start up. Tablet booted up and working normal again. From now on, will avoid putting tablet in sleep mode.

Do you think it’s a normal procedure to start a tablet???? LOL

Your Chuwi will die soon as mine…I’m sorry and nobody will refund you 🙁

kravmama1
    Participant

OK. After all my warnings that going into sleep state can trigger the black screen problem, I managed to cause the black screen on my tablet by pushing a hotkey on my wireless keyboard that triggered sleep and sent it into a coma. Given all my research, I didn’t panic. I tried pressing CTL+ALT+DEL a couple of times, then long press power button followed by short press. Then tried ESC key and other random keys on the keyboard. Tried power+ volume up button. I connected to charger and no LED light. I removed the charger and connected a USB keyboard and pressed CTL+ALT+DEL a couple times, then long press on the power button for at least 30 seconds. Reconnected charger and LED charging light was blinking. Pressed power button and also power+volume up , don’t remember which first. Tablet started to boot with Chuwi logo then went to black screen. LED charging light still blinking. Did more research and read that sometimes Windows 10 will cause lockscreen to be black on startup. Solution: press CTRL then enter your PIN/password. After doing that, I long press power to shut down, then short press to start up. Tablet booted up and working normal again. From now on, will avoid putting tablet in sleep mode.

Do you think it’s a normal procedure to start a tablet???? LOL Your Chuwi will die soon as mine…I’m sorry and nobody will refund you :(<noscript>:(</noscript>

Hi Ciro. I’m sorry about your experience. No, it is not normal, but from my research, this issue is not isolated to Chuwi tablets. Multiple other tablets have this issue with Windows 10. See the following forums:

http://www.troublefixers.org/windows/fix-windows-10-wont-wake-up-from-sleep-or-turn-on-issue/166/

(“Users who’re facing this issue have laptops of:

• HP Envy Series
    • Surface Pro
    • HP Pavilion
    • HP TouchSmart
    • Samsung Laptop with Nvidia or ATI Graphics Card
    • Lenovo Thinkpad
    • Acer Aspire”)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/windows-10-final-build-black-screen-after-boot/6c216e14-a112-461e-9faa-62594e195b13?auth=1

As you can see, multiple tablets on Windows 10 with black screen. It may also be possible that this new z8300 processor does not have drivers fully compatible with Windows 10.

My other tablet with Z3735 processor has no problems with Windows 10.

Teclast X98 plus which also has z8300 processor has same problem:

http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/solution-to-crash-in-windows-black-screen-and-not-booting-afterwards/

http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/black-screen-after-upgrade-to-win-10/

Black screen on Windows but not Android. So I think it is a Windows 10 issue, not a Chuwi issue. I am still looking for a consistent solution or figure out what is happening in the Windows 10 software to cause this, because eventually almost any tablet can fail due to Windows updates that are being automatically installed in our devices without our knowledge.

Ben
    Participant

Ciro , have you tried the methods stated in here?

My chuwi hi10 is working fine so far , wont say its perfect , but at least its back to normal(before it broke down) condition

And yes , i have shut down and start it up a few times , no issues

Another interesting point that i would like to add , i suspect that the reason for my chuwi hi10 to die was because i let it fully discharge then tried to charge it up again. so perhaps avoiding complete discharge would be ideal

kravmama1
    Participant

Here’s more information that I found:

UPDATE TO BLACK SCREEN ISSUE

This applies to tablets that have charge in battery, but has black screen.

There seems to be 2 situations.

1. Screen is black, can’t shut down or boot up.
    2. Tablet boots up to black screen.

Screen black and won’t shutdown/boot up

This is known to occur on several different tablets/laptops after update to Windows 10. This is most commonly associated with the tablet going into sleep mode and not waking up. This is associated with issues with drivers incompatible with Windows 10. To recover the tablet, one must attempt a forced shutdown, then reboot. Here are some suggested methods (each number is a different method) and explanation of what is happening:

1. Hold power button for 30 seconds or longer (this attempts forced shutdown). Let it sit for 15 seconds. (this allows it to run any shutdown routine and achieve a full powered-down state).Push power button for 5-10 seconds (this attempts to restart tablet after shutdown).
    2. Hold power button for 30 seconds (this attempts forced shutdown). Push power button + volume up button for 15 seconds (this is called the 2-button  forced shutdown). Let it sit for 15 seconds (this allows it to run any shutdown routine and achieve a full powered-down state) . Push power button for 5-10 seconds (this attempts to restart tablet after shutdown).
    3. If you had previously configured a USB mouse or keyboard to awaken the tablet from sleep, attach the device and push any button or key. People who have the original docking keyboard are able to wake up their tablet by redocking it because when first connected, the keyboard  was automatically configured to be able to wake up the tablet from sleep. The tablet will not respond to a bluetooth mouse or keyboard, because the tablet disables bluetooth mice and keyboards in sleep state to conserve battery, and this cannot be changed in device manager settings.
    4. Attach a USB keyboard. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del (self-explanatory). then push up arrow key once (this takes you to the shutdown icon, but you can’t see because of the black screen.). Push Enter. Wait 15 seconds (this allows it to run any shutdown routine and achieve a full powered-down state). Push power button 5-10 seconds (this attempts to restart tablet after shutdown.
    5. Sometimes anything attached to the tablet can prevent it from waking up. Disconnect all attached devices including power cord. Hold power button 2 minutes( to force shutdown). Wait 30 seconds, then press power button again 5-10 seconds (to restart).
    6. Draining the battery fully will shut down the tablet but can cause problems, so do this only as a last resort and at your own risk. If battery is fully drained, it may actually take a few DAYS on charger to be able to recharge it again.

Once you have recovered your tablet, you can try to prevent this from happening by:

1. Change settings to disable sleep mode completely. However, keep in mind that this will drain your battery faster and you would need to manually shutdown the tablet after each use.
    2. Update BIOS (be careful not to brick the tablet).
    3. Update graphics driver if possible. The Update Utility won’t work. There is not a downloadable updated driver for Z8300 processors for Windows 10. My tablet was pushed a driver update on 3/02/16. See if your tablet’s driver was updated as well.
    4. Exit out of all programs before entering sleep mode.
    5. Configure a USB mouse or keyboard to be able to awaken the tablet from sleep.

Tablet boots up to black screen

You may see a  the Chuwi logo for a few seconds followed by a black screen. You may or may not see a mouse on the screen This has been an issue on other tablets besides Chuwi tablets on Windows 10. What is happening is that the lockscreen is appearing as a black screen.

Press Ctrl (this takes you to the PIN/Password input screen, but you can’t see it). Enter your PIN/password, then press enter.

If you still have a black screen after that, then force shutdown with power button held for 30 seconds or power+volume up for 15 seconds. Wait 15 seconds, then power button for 5-10 seconds to restart .

To prevent this from happening again you can try updating BIOS/drivers, disable fast startup or other methods described in this forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/windows-10-final-build-black-screen-after-boot/6c216e14-a112-461e-9faa-62594e195b13?auth=1

Lupo
    Participant

Does somebody have some success with this problem? 🙁

I have a completely dead Chuwi Hi10, I have tested to wake it up with the instructions here and in this posting also

Hi 10 Doesn't boot – fixes??

I have unsoldered and soldered back the battery but no success.

JOVO
    Participant

Hello, running your Chuwi again?
    I also have tried everything but I could see only the Chuwi logo on the start screen. Then I connected a keyboard and I am therefore come to the bios. but to run I did not get it.
    Sorry for my bad english (google translate)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar