Copper plate cooling – iFunk S14

Copper plate cooling – iFunk S14

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Copper plate cooling – iFunk S14

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chris G 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Renvaar
    Participant

Hey guys,

been a long time watcher on youtube, but made a forum account after seeing the TDP unlock video.

I’ve got an iFunk S14 with a m3-7y30, pretty decent copper plate that keeps temps under 65 (usually 60), but I wanted to try unlocking the TDP just for that little boost when I’m travelling and only have the laptop for some light gaming. Thing is, I wanted to bump up the cooling, maybe change the thermal paste under the plate, add some cooling pads on top to transfer heat better to the case…. But that plates is on there SOLID! And it’s thermal pad is same size as the plate, and feels like a thin plastic. Any tips? Can I just pull? I’ve yet to use much force… Also what about just not touching it and doubling up with another layer of copper on top, It seems like it’s got the space…

Just looking for some general ideas/tips really… I enjoy playing around… Thanks!  P.S. Attached screenshot, not sure if that was the thing to do or to link to one….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! Yes it looks like others I’ve seen just a pull up and it will come off with a little force. It will have either a thermal pad or paste which is maybe why it feels stuck on. Clean it up and you could add a shim between with some decent thermal paste.

And then screw it down it will give a nice amount of pressure on it. But I wouldn’t go over 1mm thick.

Then I normally add a 1-2mm depending on space thermal pad on top of it to then transfer heat to the rear of the body. Use an older version of XTU to undervolt once stable increase the power limits and watch the FPS improve dramatically. But watch the temps, keep it under 90 degrees C and even lower is better.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast X6 Pro, X4 and UMIDIGI S3 Pro
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops 🙂

Renvaar
    Participant

Thanks Chris!

I tried the Half Life Lost Coast benchmark, 4.5W to 6W (with XTU) took it from 59 to 90fps. Amazing! It did hit mid 70’s by end of benchmark, so hoping an undervolt and little bit of modding will get it down closer to original temps.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Yes, it makes a huge difference mostly just on the iGPU as it will be able to hold the higher turbos but when under lower TDP it’s severely limited the GPU turbo.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast X6 Pro, X4 and UMIDIGI S3 Pro
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password