Cube i7 Book Touchscreen Alternative Calibration

Cube i7 Book Touchscreen Alternative Calibration

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube i7 Book Cube i7 Book Touchscreen Alternative Calibration

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Nidlax
    Participant

To my fellow Cube i7 Book owners: if you’ve ever experienced an issue where taps on the bottom edge area of the touchscreen sometimes register as swipes or other gestures and interfere with clicking on Windows taskbar icons, then you may want to try the following workaround. This workaround involves using an alternative touchscreen calibration grid in Windows to both slightly reduce the extent of the bottom edge of the touch area and to improve the linearity data in that area as well.

The procedure:

1. Reset the touch digitizer calibration data. I found the easiest way to do this is to open Device Manager, uninstall the “HID-compliant touch screen”, then scan for hardware changes to re-install the device. (You will need a keyboard / mouse to help you with this step.)
    2. Perform the custom touch calibration using the following command: “tabcal devicekind=touch lincal novalidate XGridPts=11,60,1860,1909 YGridPts=10,60,1020,1050,1068”. You can copy the command inside the quotes and paste it into a command prompt. Follow the instructions and tap on the points as precisely as possible. (I arrived at these grid points through trial and error, YMMV.)
    3. Make sure you do not make any mistakes such as accidentally doubletapping the same point. Restart the calibration if necessary. When finished, save the calibration data.
    4. Test all edges of the screen to see if Windows behaves as expected. I have no trouble using all gestures, taps, and swipe actions from any edge of my screen.

I don’t know for sure why this issue exists in the first place, but I suspect that it is a design flaw with the touch digitizer. If you examine the digitizer glass under a bright light to view the digitzer grid, you might notice that the grid coverage is not symmetrical for all sides of the screen. Notably, it appears that the grid extends all the way to the very top edge of the display area but is slightly short by about 0.5mm – 1mm on the left, right, and bottom edges. Again, just my conjecture, but reducing the calibrated digitzer area from the bottom edge has improved my situation considerably.

Also, in addition to doing this touch calibration, you might also want to search around on the web for a high resolution calibration grid for the Wacom pen input. Surface owners have come up with nice 100+ point calibration grids that can significantly improve the accuracy of your pen cursor. You will need to perform a similar procedure where you rest the pen calibration data, then use tabcal with “devicekind=pen” to perform the new calibration.

Let me know if any of these suggestions improve your experience with this great tablet!

Piotr
    Participant

Thanks for this tip!

Issue is still present for me (even on anniversary update) but after this calibration I think it’s better. But I’m doing few more lines

tabcal devicekind=touch lincal novalidate XGridPts=11,60,200,1860,1909 YGridPts=10,60,1020,1035,1050,1068ico

I think X per each icon on taskbar may help, ofc. its all trial and error.

Patrick
    Participant

Thank you very much for this post. This solved mit Touchscreen issues with my wacom pen.

Patrick
    Participant

Every time it restart my computer it seems that the settings are gone. is that right? can i save the changes anywhere?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password