Cube thinker tweaks and mods

Cube thinker tweaks and mods

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Thinker Cube thinker tweaks and mods

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Tommi Tiihonen
    Participant

Hi fellow forum dwellers,

After using my Cube thinker for 2 months I wanted to share all the mods and tweaks I have done to my laptop. This laptop seems to have quite a lot of random problems between shipped units. Luckily the only problems with my thinker (*knocking wood*) have been double keystrokes and one corner of my screen is a bit loose.

Hardware mods:

• Remove unnecessary metal weights (100g weight reducement).
    • Change the thermal pad on CPU to thermal paste (Arctic MX4) and add a 1.5 mm thermal pad between backplate and the copper plate.

Software tweaks:

Planned mods:

• Remove the magnets from bottom side that keep the lid shut. The hinge is really firm already and the magnets pull the screen out of the frame when opening the lid. Would also make it easier to open the laptop.

Extra stuff:

• Tried Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 for couple of weeks. Only had problems with touchpad not working after suspend. Installed new Windows 10 pro (3 dollars from Ebay) and made 2 partitions for future dualboot with linux.
    • Bought used Surface pen for 20 dollars just for giggles. Played some OSU with it.
    • Bought Xiaomi USB-C 45W charger for 12 dollars from gearbest. Works great.

Hope this helps someone.

Ruskiromka
    Participant

Thanks for the tips, I was wondering if you had upgraded to Windows CU (Creators Update). I’m having flickering/flashing of the display with this update.

Tommi Tiihonen
    Participant

Installed creators update and no flickering. I have my taskbar top of the screen and sometimes the thin line corresponding to opened application flickers. No idea if this happened before update and it does not happen all the time.

Chris G
    Keymaster

That white line is an intel gfx driver issue, update the driver should fix it or windows update. I had it on some notebooks. But it went away after updating drivers.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Garywzh
    Participant

followed you instruction with xtu, the device auto rebooted after several minites

Tommi Tiihonen
    Participant

Yes, your silicon can’t handle that. Just like with every CPU, the maximum undervolt varies between chips (hence called silicon lottery). You just need to find the undervolt that works for you.

Undervolting with XTU does not pose any risks to the hardware itself and it resets the values if it crashes.

sigma
    Participant
    • Bought Xiaomi USB-C 45W charger for 12 dollars from gearbest. Works great.

Hope this helps someone.

Which Xiaomi charger did you get? The gearbest one is 5v, thought the laptop needs 12V input?

Tommi Tiihonen
    Participant

I bought this http://www.gearbest.com/chargers-cables/pp_624045.html

For some reason the description has been changed to some nonsense. How can it be 45W charger if the output is only 5V and 3.6A? Look at the fourth picture, that is what I got. I guess it is charging at 12V and 3A for thinker. Maximum is 20 V and 2.25A. You can also charge phones with it.

scotty1968
    Participant

Hi , please can you tell me how to remove the magnets on cube thinker lid, thankyou.

AC
    Participant

Do any of you have pics of the internals you could share?

Tommi Tiihonen
    Participant

You can check the video that Chris made for internals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNkZlaK2bEE

I haven’t removed the magnets yet. Tried with shitty knock-off dremel but gave up. They are pretty tight in there so probably need to break the plastic surrounding them.

John
    Participant

I bought this http://www.gearbest.com/chargers-cables/pp_624045.html For some reason the description has been changed to some nonsense. How can it be 45W charger if the output is only 5V and 3.6A? Look at the fourth picture, that is what I got. I guess it is charging at 12V and 3A for thinker. Maximum is 20 V and 2.25A. You can also charge phones with it.

You’re right – I don’t think the Gearbest staff know what they are talking about – no surprises here. That question was repeatedly asked on Gearbest but the staff member said it is only a 5 volt charger. Firstly, it does not make sense – it is a 45 watt charger. If it could only do 5 volt at 3 amps then it would be a 15 watt charger. The fourth picture clearly shows that it can do 12 volts at 3 amps, which is 36 watts. And it will go even higher to 20 volts at 2.25 amps which gives the rated 45 watts. I think I will buy one of these chargers, looks handy to charge any Type-C device…phones, tablets or laptops. The voltage it supplies is controlled by your devices processor.

Garywzh
    Participant

cool

mixplus
    Participant

Hi there, i bought the same Xiaomi charger 45W, but i couldnt make it to charge my cube mix plus. I am assuming the typec to type c cable that comes with the charger doesnt support power delivery. Did you use the same cable? thanks

Diego Zuccotti
    Participant

I was lucky, same result as mod, cpu -60 mV, gpu -50 mV rock solid. Anything below and it reboots randomly.

To be honest no perceiveable differences measured on temperature or battery life.

Applying thermal mod as soon as I receive thermal glue.

Do you believe I could use a silicon sealant to glue the screen back in its frame?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar