Dramatically improve Linux battery efficiency

Dramatically improve Linux battery efficiency

TechTablets Forums Xiaomi Discussion Mi Notebook Air series Dramatically improve Linux battery efficiency

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Arturo del Bosque
    Participant

Hi everybody, I just received the Xiaomi Air 12.5″ M3-7Y30 and install Arch Linux with KDE desktop.

The battery estimation time was about the same as reported on Windows, maybe a little lower. So, I try powertop application (an Intel app specifically for battery optimization on GNU/Linux) and that’s it! The estimation jumps about 3-4 hours in idle mode and about 2-3 hours in semi-intensive modo (Chromium with a lot of tabs), maybe even more!.

There are a page on Arch’s wiki about Powertop, but the use is super easy.

1- Install it. It are on the official repo (powertop), and also are in Ubuntu and I think in all the major distros.
    2- Run it as root and you will get a estimation of the power consumption of every process and remaining battery time
    3- Use the tab key to shuffle through the screens of the app; go to the last screen “Tunables”
    4- Use the space key to change every line from “Bad” to “Good”

If everything works OK, you can make the changes permanent simply adding the line “powertop –auto-tune” to your /etc/rc.local (before “exit 0”!)

If you need to let some lineas at “Bad” because give you a problems, you can auto-tune all the lines at the boot start and next change the specifically, problematic lines, as is described in https://askubuntu.com/a/490401

I also installed this app in my Lapbook 14.1 with ubuntu, and the improvement is also very noticeable, but is imperative disable 2 lines (touchpad and keyboard) to work OK.

PS. English is not my first language, sorry if there are any mistakes in the text

Brad
    Participant

Hi everybody, I just received the Xiaomi Air 12.5″ M3-7Y30 and install Arch Linux with KDE desktop. The battery estimation time was about the same as reported on Windows, maybe a little lower. So, I try powertop application (an Intel app specifically for battery optimization on GNU/Linux) and that’s it! The estimation jumps about 3-4 hours in idle mode and about 2-3 hours in semi-intensive modo (Chromium with a lot of tabs), maybe even more!. There are a page on Arch’s wiki about Powertop, but the use is super easy. 1- Install it. It are on the official repo (powertop), and also are in Ubuntu and I think in all the major distros. 2- Run it as root and you will get a estimation of the power consumption of every process and remaining battery time 3- Use the tab key to shuffle through the screens of the app; go to the last screen “Tunables” 4- Use the space key to change every line from “Bad” to “Good” If everything works OK, you can make the changes permanent simply adding the line “powertop –auto-tune” to your /etc/rc.local (before “exit 0”!) If you need to let some lineas at “Bad” because give you a problems, you can auto-tune all the lines at the boot start and next change the specifically, problematic lines, as is described in https://askubuntu.com/a/490401 I also installed this app in my Lapbook 14.1 with ubuntu, and the improvement is also very noticeable, but is imperative disable 2 lines (touchpad and keyboard) to work OK. PS. English is not my first language, sorry if there are any mistakes in the text

How long does you battery last now on both your Xiaomi Air 12.5 with Arch and your Chuwi Lapbook 14.1 with Ubuntu?  Also which version and desktop of Ubuntu?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar