Dual Boot Guide

Dual Boot Guide

TechTablets Forums Xiaomi Discussion Mi Pad Series Dual Boot Guide

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Kwan
    Participant

Dual Boot instructions:

Before you begin:

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for your tablet getting bricked, Thanos completing the infinity gauntlet and taking out half the galaxy together with your tablet, or any other unfortunate events of personal or cosmic proportions. Proceed at your own risk!
    *I have faced the issue of battery % getting stuck at 99%/100%, no idea how to fix it.
    (Note: There seem to be some redundancies in creating partitions and backing up files but well, better safe than sorry)

Note: Have to rush out so the pictures and placed as attachments instead of in text, will fix them in future.

CREDITS: This method is from jigu and a very helpful English translation by lawguy, the original thread can be found in http://en.miui.com/thread-248564-1-1.html I am just consolidating some other files (thanks to Chris G of techtablets for the Windows Drivers, http://techtablets.com/downloads-drivers-roms/) and writing out the parts I had trouble understanding from their guide.

Download the files needed from: https://mega.nz/#F!5llEzRhR!Tv__zvfy6yM6HSHXkEeunA

Download UltraISO from  https://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/ to create the WinPE and Win10 installation usb drives

Create a WinPE drive with the ISO from the folder

Copy the everything from “WinPE disk additional files” into the WinPE drive you have created.

Create an Android ESP and Windows ESP folder on your WinPE thumb Drive

Create a W10 installation usb drive by following the instructions here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Makes sure you have a usb-c otg cable, usb2.0 hub (my usb3.0 ones couldn’t work with the mi pad 2), usb wired keyboard and usb  wired mouse
    Section 1:

Regardless of whether you’re using the Android or Windows version currently, you will have to (re)install Android  http://en.miui.com/a-234.html (for those currently on Windows you’ll have to hold Volume +, Volume – and Power all at once for about 15 secs to enter DNX fastboot)

Follow the instructions until <b><i>step 4.</i></b>

“Step 4:Double click on the downloaded ROM file to decompress it. Open the file folder for the decompressed ROM pack, and copy its path on the computer.”

After you decompress it, replace the gbt.bin file (it helps set up the partitions, which we will be using for messing with the efi later on)

Section 2:

You’ll now have to install windows.
    If you haven’t already, you can create a W10 installation usb drive by following the instructions here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10
    Plug in your usb-c otg cable with your usb2.0 hub, usb wired keyboard, usb wired mouse and Win10 installation thumb drive.

Reboot your Mi Pad 2. If it doesn’t boot to the Win10 installation screen, reboot again and spam F2 to get into BIOS. From there, go to Boot Manager and select the USB option.

Follow the installer until you come to the option of what kind of installtion you wish to do, <b>you must choose Custom Windows Installation</b>. Choose the partition that is about 44GB in size.

It will go through a very long installation process and reboot at the end of the installation.

When it reboots, <b>remove the Win10 installation thumb drive</b>. It will boot back into Android.

Section 3: Booting into Windows10

Your otg, hub, keyboard and mouse should still be attached. Attach your WinPE thumb drive as well and reboot the tablet. If you do not boot into WinPE, reboot again and spam F2 to get into BIOS. From there, go to Boot Manager and select the USB option.

On the desktop there will be a DiskGenius shortcut, double click it to run the program.

From the Mega upload at the start, there’s a program called Partition Guru Pro, it’s actually just like Disk Genius but in English (couldn’t get it to run on the Mi Pad though) You can run it on your laptop/pc so you can understand what your clicking.

You will now select the 32MB partition that holds your Android EFI. It should be ESP (6) or something like that (mine says NEW VOLUME C: after using the tablet for some time, no idea why)
    You will clone the partition to the Android ESP folder in your WinPE drive.

To Clone, click on the 32mb partition and choose the option with (I) at the end of the name (once again, you can refer to Partition Guru Pro on your laptop/desktop for the English commands)

After cloning, click on My Computer and navigate to the bootx64.efi(~4.3mb) on the 32mb drive and copy it to your Android ESP folder.

We will be then be replacing the bootx64.efi(~4.3mb) in the 32mb drive with the same bootx64.efi(~1.1mb) that you find in the ESP folder of your WinPE usb drive.

Reboot (<b>remove your WinPE disk</b> so it doesn’t boot into that) and windows 10 will finish installing, you should now install the drivers from the drivers folder found in your WinPE thumb drive. Insert the WinPE disk again and copy the DiskGenius and BOOTICE folders/files onto your desktop as well.

Section 4: Dual Boot

Right click My PC and select Manage. Click on Disk Management and select the largest (~43mb partition) and select Shrink Volume. Create a new partition of ~100mb

Open DiskGenius and go to your ESP partition. It now contains the Windows booting ESP files so clone that to the Windows ESP folder on your WinPE thumb drive.

(you now have backups of both ESP folders so if any updates resets your boot order or something like that, you can boot into the WinPE drive, run BOOTICE from there and sort it out again without reinstalling everything)

Now extract the clone you just made and select the new 100mb partition, that you just created, as the destination. This will be your Windows booting ESP

After doing so, copy the backup bootx64.efi (~4.3mb) from your Android ESP folder on your thumb drive back into the 32mb partition. This will be your Android booting ESP.

Run BOOTICE and make sure it is setup like the screenshots below

When you want to boot into Android, select the AndroidIA option and check the box “Boot this entry next time”, hit save and close.

After doing so, check the box “boot to firmware setup UI the next time you restart computer” and then click “Restart now”.

The Mi Pad will boot into the Bios. You will not need a hub and keyboard (however, ensure that you have disabled UEFI secure boot, it doesn’t always stick at first but boot a few times between Windows and Android and it stays) Use the Volume keys to move to “Boot Manager” and select that entry with the power button.

You will boot into Android

To boot back into windows, simply reboot the tablet.

Matthew Kwan
    Participant

Pics

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matthew Kwan
    Participant

Can’t seem to post any more pictures, not sure why, You can refer to the original thread on the MIUI forums for the bootice screenshots. Will fix up the pictures soon

Matthew Kwan
    Participant
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar