EFI issue / ESP partition

EFI issue / ESP partition

TechTablets Forums PiPo Forums Pipo W3/W3F Discussion EFI issue / ESP partition

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Keven L
    Participant

Hi,

I sold my tablet to someone a month ago and he asked me a refund because the tablet didn’t work anymore. I told him to take it to me so I could check what’s wrong.

I don’t understand how he managed to do that, virus or whatever but the EFI/ESP partition was completely fucked up. No more EFI shell, no boot.

I successfully put back the EFI shell (learned a lot of stuff while doing so!), reinstalled the Android part but the Windows part won’t boot. After a clean install, it gives me this message:

Recovery
    Your PC needs to be repaired
    A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed.
    Error code: 0xc0000225
    [ A text saying I should use recovery tools on my installation media to fix the issue. ]
    Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

I used the recovery tools of my bootable USB installer to re-write the boot settings into the EFI but I think I added it to the wrong partition, not 100% sure, but Windows won’t boot. HOWEVER it added a new entry of “Windows Boot Manager” into the “Boot Override” section of the BIOS, there is now 3 of them… One of them (the new one) actually boot Windows without the above error BUT gives another error regarding the boot. So I’m close.

So what I would need is:

• Boot dump. To give me that, simply boot tablet, go into bios, last tab “Save & Exit”, Launch EFI shell. Write “bcfg boot dump” in the console and paste me the result (or take a picture).
    • Screenshot of your partitions (using Disk Manager on Windows)
    • Mount SYSTEM partition (EFI / ESP partition). Maybe there will be more than one. Please ZIP all the content and upload it somewhere. This is easier with a live Ubuntu key, you just open the Disk Manager and mount the partition. Can be done with Windows too: http://superuser.com/questions/662823/how-do-i-mount-the-efi-partition-on-windows-8-1-so-that-it-is-readable-and-write

I know I’m asking a lot. Specially the last part. But hopefully someone could help me. I’m willing to buy you a beer 🙂

Keven L
    Participant

Update: I wiped the whole SSD with Ubuntu, removed all entries in the EFI with efibootmgr.

Then I installed Android, then Windows. Same error with Windows (0xc0000225) BUT!

I have two “Windows Boot Manager” in my boot list. I had two before too: one that would give me error 0xc0000225, and another that would show Windows logo with spinning icon, then black screen, Windows dialog telling me there is an error with boot stuffs. Doesn’t remember the exact message.

BUT! This time, first “Windows Boot Manager” still gives me error 0xc0000225, but the other one actually boot Windows and it works!

The problem is that even if I try to change the boot priority to the working one, it still boot to the non-working one (the one giving error 0xc0000225)

So I don’t think I need any of the above. If someone want to help, please open a CMD (admin) and paste me the result of bcdedit /v

Any idea how to fix this?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar