F6 Pro thermal mods

F6 Pro thermal mods

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums Teclast F6 Pro F6 Pro thermal mods

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Olly
    Participant

Hi folks,

As promised, I have made a video and some pictures of the thermal mods I have made to the Teclast F6 Pro. The pictures are not quite relevant any more since I have made further changes as described and shown in the video. I hope this helps other modders!

YouTube Video Link

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Very helpful, Great video!

Juan
    Participant

Excellent tutorial, thanks! All those tips about the screws, unplugging battery, etc., are very useful.

Can you also post some numbers (e.g. CPU temp, external case temp) after your mod?

Olly
    Participant

Can you also post some numbers (e.g. CPU temp, external case temp) after your mod?

The biggest/best change came from adding the copper shim between the CPU and the heatplate. Previously, with default power limits, the CPU would reach 90C after <5 minutes of Prime95. After applying the copper shim, and increasing thermal limit to 10w, Prime95 took 20+ minutes to reach 70C.

I have not measured the chassis temperature, but I can say, 20 minutes of Prime95 makes the chassis TOO hot to touch for longer than a few seconds. It is not usable on a lap when running full load for long periods.

If you are planning any mods and want to use the laptop on your lap, I’d definitely recommend the copper shim on the CPU, but NOT the copper sheet on the bottom. It’s not really necessary unless you want to run the CPU/GPU at 100% load at higher TDP limits. But of course, that’s not what this laptop is designed for. You have to remember that the CPU power network isn’t made for this either (the TDP is 4.5w, not 10w+ as I have configured. I am taking a chance).

Juan
    Participant

@Olly¬† That was really helpful. I’ll order a small copper shim, and let you guys know about the results when I get it.

Madhias
    Participant

Very interesting, thanks for the tutorial.

Might try the copper shim on the cpu. My laptop actually got so hot that the glue of the rubber foot closest to the cpu lost contact to the foot and it fell of.

When doing only the copper shim, do I still have to remove the plastic bracket for the SSD?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password