finally unbicked it and now the screen is dim in the bottom right hand corner

finally unbicked it and now the screen is dim in the bottom right hand corner

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi LapBook Series finally unbicked it and now the screen is dim in the bottom right hand corner

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Thomas
    Participant

It happens in Linux and Bios screen os more than likley a hardware fault 🙁

Opened case and resetted the ribbon cable for the screen at the motherboard end.  Any more bright ideas?

Could open the screen case but guessing Chuwi just glued in the screen to save on the dollars.

My guess is the inverter is broken.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernst
    Participant

Possibly some LED’s broken? Bummer!

Thomas
    Participant

yeah it only for a 9 year old child so it not end of the world but not great.

I did crack the screen case open however the bottom section was difficult to open.  I could see the screen was held in with screws.

My money is going on the inverter being the issue.

Job Muriuki
    Participant

@Thomas,

How did you unbrick it? Mine just stopped working and powers the LED but screen is blank.

Thomas
    Participant

file Bios 0.26

and this guide

But mine was caused by a bad bios flash.  Yours could be anything.

You in the uk?  If so and you want to ship me the laptop I’ll have a try to repair it for the cost of a couple beers.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Job Muriuki
    Participant

I think it’s the same bios Update. I got the latest update from Chuwi’s site and I booted once and that was it. Now it’s dead. Sadly am in Kenya and shipping it to Uthe UK will cost half the price of buying and receiving it back will attract more customs charge. Let me try the tutorial first.

Job Muriuki
    Participant

file Bios 0.26 and this guide But mine was caused by a bad bios flash. Yours could be anything. You in the uk? If so and you want to ship me the laptop I’ll have a try to repair it for the cost of a couple beers.

Can you send me the bios file or a link to it? Chuwi has removed it and the one I had is on the bricked laptop.

Thomas
    Participant

chuwi never hosted the correct bios file they only hosted v0.14 which is way too old for the newer hardware models.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/329hxw19659qz0x/AAD01AqlmaVm6zw-OwoYH1nda?dl=0

If you received it dead then it is unlikely to be a bios issue, but it can not harm you giving it a try.

Does HDMI work?

Job Muriuki
    Participant

I got mine in March from gearbest and has been running great until it started taking 3-5 hard reboots to get it started. I then thought it was a bios issue and applied the 2nd bios update about 1 month and that was it. Am ordering the programmer and trying to unbrick it.

Thomas
    Participant

then the bios flashing should un-brick it.  Good luck

Let me know how it goes

Job Muriuki
    Participant

Finally I received the Bios programmer and managed to set it up. I opened up the chuwi 144.1 and saw similar chips one with a white paint spot and another with a green spot. Since I didn’t know which was the BIOS chip is started by erasing the green spotted chip on;y to realize it was 8Mbs and the bios file was larger. So I clipped on the white spotted chip and it was the bios chip 64Mbs. I erased it then wrote the bios.bin file. Still the laptop is not booting but I suspect erasing the 8 Mb chip was a mistake and am not sure what it contained. What am I supposed to flash it with? Any idea what I could have done wrong?

Ernst
    Participant

The software that comes with the programmer has a function to save the chip’s content to a file. You should have used that function so that you would have a backup.

Two chips and a 50/50 chance you pick the wrong one to flash… without a backup. Gee.

Perhaps Thomas can make a backup of the chip you erased. It probably contains some configuration data.

Job Muriuki
    Participant

Clearly, I messed up. I will need a backup data of the two chips from a working Laptop.

Hey, Thomas, can you help out?

Job Muriuki
    Participant

then the bios flashing should un-brick it. Good luck Let me know how it goes

Hey, Thomas, any chance you can help out with the backup of both chips? At this point am considering modding the lapbook and get a different motherboard.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar