(Fix) Cube Thinker i35 not powering on

(Fix) Cube Thinker i35 not powering on

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Thinker (Fix) Cube Thinker i35 not powering on

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Wytske
    Participant

Well, a week ago my Thinker completely died.

Last week my Cube Thinker seem to have died. When pressing the power button there’s just a brief flash of the LED but no powering on.

Even when the power adapter is plugged in.

So my husband said: I’ll try a solder reflow. He took the motherboard out, removed all plastic and rubbers, and put it in a pre-heated oven at 200C for 3 minutes. After that, he opened the oven door and let it cool.

He assembled it back and…. IT WORKS again! It also starts at once now, no more reboot the first time!

So you can try the following at your own risk:

1. Carefulle unscrew the copper plate, remove flex cables etc. from the mother board
    2. Unscrew the the motherboard and get it out
    3. Remove the thermal pad from the cpu
    4. Remove the yellow plastic on the bottom of the motherboard!! Remove all grey rubber-like pads.
    5. Preheat your oven at 200C
    6. Make 4 small aluminium balls from aluminium foil and put them on the baking plate
    7. Put your motherboard in the baking plate with under each corner a aluminium ball
    8. Put the baking plate for about 3 minutes in the oven (WARNING: this differs per oven). Keep watching trough the window
    9. When you’ll see before the 3 minutes some “boiling” on the soldering immediately shut down the oven and open the oven window (We saw the solder boiling after 3 minutes and shut down the oven).
    10. Let it cool with the oven door open
    11. Assembly the motherboard back. No need to put the plastic sheet back on.
    12. Don’t put the copper plate back. I think that caused the soldering of the motherboard to melt.
    13. Instead, put a 3mm thick thermal pad on the cpu which directly touches the back of the cover.
    14. It should work now again. If it’s not, try it again a little longer in the oven (just keep watching if you see something boil/bubbling).

Warning: Don’t put it on a too high temperature or too long in the oven. It will destroy the plastics.

Better try it with a lower temperature (200C) and a few minutes (3) first before trying it hotter.

Of course this is at your own risk…

Chris G
    Keymaster

Great info, I’ve heard of this method and never tired it myself just felt a bit too risky. But when you have no options left.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

majkel_94
    Participant

It sounds super dangerous, I would do this only and only when there’s no other ways to repair :/

Cube i7 Stylus User

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar