HDMI through USB-C hub causes horizontal flickering on secondary monitor

HDMI through USB-C hub causes horizontal flickering on secondary monitor

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums Teclast F6 Pro HDMI through USB-C hub causes horizontal flickering on secondary monitor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    felince
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I recently bought this laptop and I’m quite happy with it except for a very annoying detail regarding HDMI output through a USB type C hub. Whenever I want to connect a secondary monitor through the hub’s HDMI port, the secondary monitor will flicker horizontally making it unusable. All the other functions of the hub work alright (USB type A ports and type C for charging) and the hub itself works flawlessly in other laptops. When looking at the video review of the laptop @Chris mentioned that all hubs he tested worked after updating drivers. Do you know what drivers he is referring to? I have updated the laptop through the regular Windows Update so I’m wondering if I have to download some software manually or something else. This is the hub that I bought https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B079MCPJFH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, as I mentioned in other computers it works OK. Also the problem persists after changing HDMI cables and monitors, and when using a USB type C to HDMI adapter the image in the secondary monitor looks perfect, so it seems to be a problem of compatibility with the hub.

Thank you in advance for any help or information about this.

Felince

Olly
    Participant

Hi @felince

Chris will have been referring to the Intel drivers (chipset, GPU, WiFi etc).  Yes these are updated via Windows Update, but not to the very latest versions for your hardware.

If you download the Intel Driver & Support Assistant on your laptop this will download and install the very latest Intel drivers which should resolve any issues you’re having, assuming they are of course driver related.

I have a cheap “iHaper” USB-C hub with Ethernet, HDMI and 3 USB 3.0 ports on it. In my case I can successfully use this hub for power delivery, HDMI, Ethernet and USB sound card all at the same time. The only difference, I guess, is in the vendor of the hub and the drivers. Hopefully the updates will help you!

felince
    Participant

@Olly

Thank you very much for your response. I updated drivers using the software that you recommended but the problem persisted. I tried using the hub of a coworker which is of a different brand and it worked OK, confirming that its a compatibility problem between the laptop and this particular hub. I returned the hub to amazon and purchased the one that my coworker is using. I wonder if such problem is common…

Olly
    Participant

@felince

Glad you got to the bottom of the problem! Personally I have not had much experience with USB-C yet. I have the Teclast F6 Pro and Apple Macbook – both of which I have two chargers and two of the same hubs, and they work without any problems.

There is very little to go wrong  with USB-C, at least on the laptop/chipset/CPU side. The USB-C hubs and devices on the other hand can use cheap/inferior chips, and some schematics are just downright ugly with no proper grounding or shielding. We can’t blame Teclast for any compatibility issues since they literally have zero to do with it; it’s fed purely by the Intel chipset. But we can expect, in this case, that the hub you have purchased is of perhaps questionable quality.

I’ve heard horror stories about USB-C hubs not being grounded, having poor ICs that overheat and explode, power delivery networks that aren’t rated for higher than 30w… all kinds of crazy stuff. I guess I’ve just been lucky with my cheap hubs!

felince
    Participant

Glad to know that this is not a problem from the computers side. With so many peripherals manufacturers it gets difficult to know which one to trust, even if you look at the ratings of one particular product.

Chris G
    Keymaster

I was about to add that yes it must be the hub because I had some issues with one but after updates to the intel drivers and later testing others I got it work. It was also a bit funny on just how you plugged it in if I remember correctly, for example, give it power first then to the F6 or the other way around. But in the end, my havit type-c hub worked 4k 30hz, 1440p 60hz and 1080p all fine.

Right now I’m having type-c HDMI issues but with the Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro. I want 4k60hz it’s meant to be able to do it but not one of my hubs I have many now and ones that can apparently do 60hz 4k will do it! Frustrating. I hate running my desktop at 30hz, it’s too laggy.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Olly
    Participant

1080 is more than enough for me. I absolutely despise using Windows’ scaling feature to increase the size of the display items at higher resolutions. It just doesn’t look right, and lots of apps break. I’m  happy with adjusted ClearType text and 1080p on 23″.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password