Heat Dissipation after Mod

Heat Dissipation after Mod

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Mix Plus Heat Dissipation after Mod

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Dhr. Jeep 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

megosh
    Participant

Hello

I’ve had the Cube Mix Plus for a couple months now and wanted to do the heatsink mod.

My question, How much more or less heat gets transferred to the back of the case?

Right now without the mod, the case gets somewhat uncomfortable to the touch. Will adding more thermal pads help with the dissipation?

Chris G
    Keymaster

It will still be very hot on the back when pushed hard like my Thinker i35 but it will increase the performance and lower heat on the chipset and motherboard and this will also increase the potential life of the unit.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast F5, Mi Pad 4 Plus, i7 8750H / 1050 Ti Gaming laptop (MSI GL63-8RD)
    Currently testing: Mi Notebook and Chuwi Lapbook SE

megosh
    Participant

Thanks

Just waiting on my thermal pad to come in now.

megosh
    Participant

Okay so I’ve been running the heat mod and everything runs great now.

I normally run the tablet on battery and don’t run into any issues with heat internally or from the back cover.

But today while using the tablet, the battery ran low. So I plugged it in and started charging while still in use. I had the keyboard attached and tablet placed on a table. No contact with back of the tablet. I then decided to take a break and reached around to close the tablet. To my suprise the back of the case was insanely hot. So hot I had to let it cool down before handling it.

I checked the internal temps and they where in the 80s. Normally they would be in the high 60s.

Is it normal for the back cover to get this hot while charging and in use?

I’ve also checked power plans for running on battery and plugged in, no difference. I see no difference in performance while plugged in, or running off battery.

Chucho
    Participant

Where can I buy the termal pad or just something to low the temps???

SB9224
    Participant

Go to aliexpress and search “thermal pad”.

Chucho
    Participant

If im not planing to disarm my tablet (lose the warantee) , does anyone know something about doing undervolting ???

Dhr. Jeep
    Participant

Actually, the heat mod can be done without losing warranty if you do it properly. It might be a bit scary for some people but it is actually pretty easy. If you ever want to go back the normal situation; open everything back up, remove the copper shim, clean the cooling paste off, replace the old cooling pad back and done.

I would recommend everyone to use good cooling paste on the processor. It really made a difference in my situation: I could clearly see a difference in temperature when I re-did the entire mod. 11 degrees cooler, no joke.

To answer someone’s other question: I am always putting in the USB-C charger while gaming on this device. Highest recorded temperature is 79, This is with the heat sink mod. I am sure this is safe. I even upped the voltages to keep the CPU/GPU boost for longer and override the voltage throttling.

Chucho
    Participant

Dhr. Jeep, can hoy tell us how to upper the voltages???

Dhr. Jeep
    Participant

Hi!

Sorry for my late response. I used Intels XTU and some BIOS changed.

You can use these files:
    https://mega.nz/#!8RcUkYjB!18AFgmzZ–2EI0mhKcuNdyQB9pqZpvwQXW7iTshXYKE

use the older version of XTU to import the configuration file. Only after that you can update XTU. Otherwise the file won’t load.

Whole guide here:

(not mine)

Works pretty well. But make sure you do the heat sink mod first as I described here before.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password