Heatsink mod but aluminium missing

Heatsink mod but aluminium missing

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Mix Plus Heatsink mod but aluminium missing

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dhr. Jeep 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Claudiu
    Participant

Hello everyone, few months ago I bought a CUBE mix plus and recently I did the copper heatsink mod.

The big surprise was when I open the tablet, there was no aluminium heatsink(that shield you have to unscrew to get to the cpu), instead there was just a thermal pad(big one almost like that shield).

I removed the pad and I installed a copper shim 15x15x1mm.

To be honest, I’ve got worse results, temp going over 85° just using spotify or browsing for 5 mins.

I wrote here in the hope somebody can give me an advise on how to do it properly without the aluminium shield. Thank you!

Chris G
    Keymaster

Did you put thermal paste on the shim between the CPU and copper? And then on top of it all a 2mm thick thermal pad. You need to transfer heat to the rear body with that.

Odd that Cube removed the alloy heatsink. Cost saving? Silly move anyway.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast F5, Mi Pad 4 Plus, i7 8750H / 1050 Ti Gaming laptop (MSI GL63-8RD)
    Currently testing: Mi Notebook and Chuwi Lapbook SE

Claudiu
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did put paste between the cpu and the copper. After that I put just a little bit on the copper and I put the thermal pad on top of it(the one that was before instead of the alloy).

I also have to mention that the paste wasn.t high quality, could that be the whole problem?

Nero
    Participant

if ur doing simple tasks and don’t need excessive power …. go to setting power options and processor ….there reduce the percentage from 100 to a lower figure like 90 or 80 to meet your power demand… i realized this last year and i has since worked for me … my temps are currently as low as 30-40 degC… give it a shot … but if ur an intensive user keep trying out the thermal mods

Nero
    Participant

hi. is there a different way of supporting the page other than purchasing

Dhr. Jeep
    Participant

So there is also paste between the copper shim and the thermal pad? Think that is also not really helping.
    There fact that they removed the heat-sink is really weird. I am still looking for a new one, if you ever find it anywhere, please also let me know 😉

I changed my paste after I did not get any good temps in my first try. That actually worked for me.
    So I would advice to buy better paste. Then:
    – paste on CPU
    – copper shim
    – thermal pad

As Chris said, make sure the thermal pad touches the back-cover of the tablet so all the heat gets dispersed properly.
    And let us know how it went plz 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password